Texas Fishing Forum

Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks

Posted By: MathGeek

Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 10/29/21 11:20 AM

Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 10/29/21 11:55 PM

Oh yeah!

Just keep on killing all those throat and gut hooked undersize fish with the J hooks. Kill 'em ALL and throw the little ones back to die. Let Jesus sort 'em out! We wouldn't want any to get away!

There is a REASON (non offset) circle hooks are required for offshore bottom bait fishing. If you'd take the time and make an effort to learn how to use circle hooks properly, you would find losing fish due to circle hooks is not an issue.

WWJD?

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 10/30/21 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by K5RCD
Oh yeah!

Just keep on killing all those throat and gut hooked undersize fish with the J hooks. Kill 'em ALL and throw the little ones back to die. Let Jesus sort 'em out! We wouldn't want any to get away!

There is a REASON (non offset) circle hooks are required for offshore bottom bait fishing. If you'd take the time and make an effort to learn how to use circle hooks properly, you would find losing fish due to circle hooks is not an issue.

WWJD?

Jesus cares more about putting food on people's tables, since people are more important than animals. The last time I released a deeply hooked fish was 2018 - it was a bull redfish when I was helping out with the tagging study in Louisiana. It swam away vigorously. We usually stop fishing when we have a limit in the box, but we kept fishing to tag and release a few. I can't even recall the last time I released a deeply hooked fish that was undersized. If that happened a lot, I'd consider circle hooks.

The video explains that I do use circle hooks when required by law. I've used them enough, in accordance with the standard best practices, to have seen that losing fish with them IS an issue. J hooks put more fish in the boat.
Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 10/30/21 04:28 PM

THIS should work for you.

[Linked Image]..........

Attached picture dynamite-fishing-.jpg
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 10/31/21 03:41 PM

I guess the sermon is appropriate since I watched this on a Sunday morning. Otherwise I could have done without it and the Little Wharvey Gals serenading me. Using Jesus as a pitchman for J hooks is awesome.

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/02/21 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by K5RCD
THIS should work for you.

[Linked Image]..........

I work hard to keep it legal.
Posted By: roger ramjet

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/05/21 02:21 AM

I have gut- and throat-hooked many undersize fish with offset circle hooks, less so with non-offset, inline circle hooks. Non-offset "tournament legal" circle hooks are less lethal to unintended bycatch
Posted By: Canino

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/05/21 06:30 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/06/21 06:46 PM

I think I'll leave this one alone........" Even a Fish wouldn't get into trouble If it kept it's Mouth shut".
Posted By: Blue_Hole_Diver

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/07/21 05:26 PM

God bless those who put food on the family table . . . . whatever hooks they use.

Indeed, this prompts a re-visit of the life and times of infamous televangelist and Louisiana fisherman Jimmy Swaggart . . . .

re-visit that famous moment in video:

https://youtu.be/LxB6-HnXZEU?t=45

Do read the entire story about Swaggart in wikipedia - - it's amazing,
Swaggart is still in control of a massive televangelist ministry after he got de-frocked from the original one he formed, he installed all his family members in various positions throughout his current organization, the Hollywood movie about him: "Jimmy Swaggart: Fire and Brimstone".
Posted By: fishesintrees

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/08/21 12:54 PM

"Jesus cares more about putting food on people's tables, since people are more important than animals"

always be wary of people telling you what jesus thinks.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/09/21 01:16 PM

OP I don't watch your videos but reading the comments sounds like you're trying to say circle hooks kill gut hooked fish worse than j hooks. Hopefully not but if so you are clearly showing your intelligence. Can't tell you how many reds I've opened up and found circle hooks in their stomach already have dissolved. A couple of my buddies who have cleaned thousands more fish than I have say the same thing. Hopefully this is not what your point is.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/10/21 01:52 AM

Sounds like someone is trying to force a new law on hooks, I have seen both in cleaned harvested fish salt and fresh and don't see any advantage to either style. If they swallow it it will dissolve eventually.
If a fish is hungry it will inhale the hook and bait, if not it will "suck " on it a minute, no matter which hook is used. If the Lord decides you deserve the meal you will have it.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/10/21 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by FlyFX
I have seen both in cleaned harvested fish salt and fresh and don't see any advantage to either style.

Each has their applications. Generally when I'm using bait - whether live shad for stripers, big blue runner for amberjack & grouper, chunks for tuna, or fishing up in Alaska with salmon carcasses for halibut - circle hooks are much more effective at reducing the number of gut-hooked fish. I didn't say "eliminate", as there will always be some that swallow the hook. But the vast majority get hooked in the corner of the jaw as intended.

J hooks are far more effective at trolling and other speed uses (cast & retrieve lures). Also very useful for certain bait uses, like shrimp under a popping cork.

Each has its advantages & drawbacks depending on the type of fishing.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/11/21 01:17 AM

I use them but they can cause problems. They generally hook fish in the corner of the mouth where the hinge is. Not a good place for damage. The Texas state record Blue catfish died in captivity( the one from Hagerman) from being hooked in the corner of the mouth by a circle hook.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 11/12/21 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by fishesintrees
"Jesus cares more about putting food on people's tables, since people are more important than animals"

always be wary of people telling you what jesus thinks.

yes

Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 10/28/22 01:45 PM

Posted By: lconn4

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 10/29/22 04:15 PM

I fish for the enjoyment of fishing... setting the hook is about as enjoyable as it gets... no circle hooks for me. roflmao

Re: Why I Don't Use Circle Hooks - 10/31/22 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by lconn4
I fish for the enjoyment of fishing... setting the hook is about as enjoyable as it gets... no circle hooks for me. roflmao

Great perspective. I don't set the hook even with J hooks, so I did not think of that view.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum