Texas Fishing Forum

Makaira Spinner - The Toughest Reel on Planet Earth by Okuma!

Posted By: Scuba Chris

Makaira Spinner - The Toughest Reel on Planet Earth by Okuma! - 03/13/21 05:55 PM

Reviewed by Alan Hawk to be The Best & Toughest Spinning Reel!

I finally got my Makaira Spinning Reel! I was so excited to order this reel. I first ordered my jigging/plugging 1pc rod also from Okuma first. The 7'6" PCH XH Custom Rod for spinners. Man this was a beefy rod! With COVID hampering my ability to acquire fishing gear for a year i was finally able to receive these 2 items.

So i did a in depth review of the PCH Custom Rod first. The storms we've been weathering for weeks has hampered my outdoor fishing activities so i got in a few taping sessions in-between downpours and just finished my review of the reel that Alan Hawk refers to as the best & toughest spinning reel in the World. The Makaira Spinner by Okuma.

I made this review for those thinking of purchasing their first unit. I made it easy to understand the reel by breaking down the componentry & how to order it & understand how it works. My next review of the Makaira will be how to set the drag knob as this is the only spinning reel that has adjustable drag controls similar to lever drag reels.

I'm very excited to get both the rod & reel in just this week. But i'm not going to jump the gun. I have my own line spooler by Sportsman Innovations called a Big Water Series Fish On Spooler. I'm expecting a 2nd reel spool from Okuma for the Makaira 10K so i can spool my own line on it. Braid on one & monofilament on the other.

For years i've used & owned some of the best fishing gear around but nothing compares to this new combo. On the other end of the spectrum i'm also looking forward to using my ultra-light rigs as well. It's nice to match powerful rigs with big fish, but it's also equally exciting to land a 2lb fish on an ultra-lite rod & reel using 4lb monofilament at night off the rocks.

The URL to Alan Hawk's review of Okuma's Makaira Spinning Reel- https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/mks.html

Attached picture Makira Cover.jpg
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Makaira Spinner - The Toughest Reel on Planet Earth by Okuma! - 03/13/21 06:39 PM

thumb
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: Makaira Spinner - The Toughest Reel on Planet Earth by Okuma! - 03/14/21 02:36 PM

Nice reel.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Makaira Spinner - The Toughest Reel on Planet Earth by Okuma! - 03/14/21 02:50 PM

Another infomercial.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Makaira Spinner - The Toughest Reel on Planet Earth by Okuma! - 03/27/21 03:56 AM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum