Texas Fishing Forum

LOST A LARGE JACK WHIPPING OFF THE ROCKS @ NIGHT!

Posted By: Scuba Chris

LOST A LARGE JACK WHIPPING OFF THE ROCKS @ NIGHT! - 08/31/20 09:00 PM

Most Likely A Bluefin Trevally! Showed Itself Before Spitting The Hook!

Decided to try my 7'9" Okuma T-40X Steelhead Rod with a Shimano Stradic 3000 CI4 spooled with 8lb SeaGuar monofilament line (thinner diameter then other brands) with 12lb Sakura Fluorocarbon leader for the Papio (name for Jacks under 10lbs) at night. Hooked-up to a nice big Papio on my 5th cast. Pandemonium on the rocks! My fishing partner Wayne was hooked-up with a Bigeye Scad "Akule" after i got my hook-up.

Our lines & fish kept crossing. Fish spun itself around in a 180' arc trying to find a ledge/rock/cave to hide in. Set the drag and the tip had a nice bend so decided to play it out. After a +3min battle the fish threw the hook. Couldn't accurately gauge it's size but maybe +6lb? I could see the blue flashes which meant it was a Bluefin Trevally. It appeared just under the surface 10ft in front of me for a few seconds before it dove again dis-lodging the hook. Used a Cree 2000lm headband with a Contour Roam#2 Action Cam. Not too bad for night videoing, can easily make out what's going on. I guess this isn't a real fish story as you can see the fish glinting from the headlamp's beam. Next time!

Attached picture IMG_3422.jpg
Posted By: Gitter Done

Re: LOST A LARGE JACK WHIPPING OFF THE ROCKS @ NIGHT! - 09/01/20 03:49 PM

It happens. At least you got a great fight. Enjoyed the video.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: LOST A LARGE JACK WHIPPING OFF THE ROCKS @ NIGHT! - 09/03/20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Gitter Done
It happens. At least you got a great fight. Enjoyed the video.

Plus #1. Neat Video. thumb
Posted By: Laker One

Re: LOST A LARGE JACK WHIPPING OFF THE ROCKS @ NIGHT! - 09/07/20 01:46 PM

Know the feeling very well. bang Makes you want to go back! cheers At least you got the fight! boxing
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum