Texas Fishing Forum

No Fishing in Irving

Posted By: Lee Finlay

No Fishing in Irving - 03/23/17 07:35 PM

Today I was told that I can no longer fish any of my regular spots in Irving.

The very polite and professional Las Colinas Security Officer told me they were instructed to enforce the no fishing policy on all controlled waterways.

He had a pamphlet explaining everything. Fishing is still allowed on the Trinity River, but not in the canals.

I just wanted to pass this along.

Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/23/17 07:38 PM

This has been the case for there as long as I can remember. The best way to fish out there is either at night or on Sunday (if by buildings) or away from the apartments/office buildings during the day. Seems like more and more people are fishing out there on a regular basis so it makes sense that they are probably stepping up the enforcement of it.
Posted By: uacdub

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/23/17 09:21 PM

Are you sure about that. The city code handbook says otherwise.

This was updated Jan 2017.

Sec. 25-1.8. - Fishing.

(a)

Recreational fishing is permitted with valid fishing license.

(b)

No person shall engage in the business of catching or taking fish or game from parks controlled by the City of Irving for the purpose of sale. It shall be an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that a person was authorized by contract with the city to catch or take fish or game under the supervision of the director of parks and recreation when such person is licensed by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to remove fish or game.

(c)

It shall be unlawful for any person to seine for minnows or use a seine for any purpose within the water controlled by the City of Irving.

(Ord. No. 5621, § 3, 5-11-89; Ord. No. 8405, § 1, 11-4-04)

https://www.municode.com/library/TX/irvi...IINGE_S25-1.8FI

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/23/17 09:24 PM

Most of these canals have signs posted saying no fishing or swimming allowed.

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/23/17 09:29 PM

that's strange. I've been fishing and seen others fishing the Canal right beside the McDonald.

Does that flyer say you cannot fish at Thomas Jefferson Park?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just wanting clarity.

It says you can fish at the parks on the Irving website.

http://cityofirving.org/850/Parks-and-Trails
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/23/17 09:35 PM

I`ve always fished it in the evenings and never had a problem with the Los Colinas Security officers.Besides the fishing is better after dark & Business hrs on most urban lakes IMHO.When you go during business hours you force them to do their jobs! 2cents
Posted By: Coreywms

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/23/17 10:26 PM

Lee were you fishing in Lake Carolyn?

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/23/17 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: uacdub
that's strange. I've been fishing and seen others fishing the Canal right beside the McDonald.

Does that flyer say you cannot fish at Thomas Jefferson Park?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just wanting clarity.

It says you can fish at the parks on the Irving website.

http://cityofirving.org/850/Parks-and-Trails

That canal is a public park and fishing is allowed but the canals in the picture are where fishing is not allowed.

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/23/17 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbonz
I`ve always fished it in the evenings and never had a problem with the Los Colinas Security officers.Besides the fishing is better after dark & Business hrs on most urban lakes IMHO.When you go during business hours you force them to do their jobs! 2cents

Same here. Location and time of day plays a big role in whether they care or not. I do also know that the canals are getting a lot more pressure recently and I am sure they have taken notice.

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/24/17 12:25 AM

I was fishing the ponds at Northgate @ Rochelle.

I've been fishing there for about a year now, with no problems.

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/24/17 01:07 AM

Those ponds used to have signs that say fishing was allowed.

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/24/17 01:12 AM

Yeah, used to.
I noticed they were gone earlier this year.

This is what they said:

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/24/17 11:07 AM

We should have known at some point it would not be allowed anymore. Some people can't clean up after themselves.
Posted By: Coffeebreak

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/24/17 01:23 PM

That's very true;it's going to happen in other areas as well. Just see how sad the condition of Rowlet creek and creek X. Tons of trash left behind by the irresponsible fisherman.

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/24/17 02:22 PM

On the plus side, I get a few free lures. :-)

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/24/17 02:26 PM

are the 1st and 2nd pics before and after?
Posted By: Hotrodjrd

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 03/24/17 04:31 PM

I know security will run you off if you fish the canals around Lake Carolyn if it's during business hours. Go at night and no one says a word.
Posted By: slickjig69

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 04/18/17 03:05 AM

Me and my son's started fishing there about 5 years ago and it's true the Las Colinas patrol told us the same. But he said Cuz the HOA for university hills voted on it, which I think sucks, I live off Rochelle close to Las colinas, I told the officer it was a shame these young kids not just mine, don't have anywhere to fish now, within walking distance.
Posted By: Bubbler

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 04/18/17 02:38 PM

Slickjig69................

you are correct. seems as though we grow up and then take away the fun things from children then complain all they want to do is sit in the hhouse and play video games or get into mischief.

I am close to Rowlett creek and the adult will just hog the safe areas along the creek with 3 and four poles...... and will crowd out kids like they do adults if one catches a fish.

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 07/31/17 12:52 AM

I was told by another Las Colinas security officer that there's no fishing in Thomas Jefferson Park.

I just said ok and kept fishing.

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 08/01/17 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee Finlay
I was told by another Las Colinas security officer that there's no fishing in Thomas Jefferson Park.

I just said ok and kept fishing.

I'd tell those rent-a-cops to beat it. TPWD says you can!

Posted By: Sunbae

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 08/01/17 09:50 PM

I've never been asked to stop, but I also don't really have much luck at Jefferson.
Posted By: Sirjet

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 08/01/17 10:00 PM

I fish jefferson Park often. I have never been told that I can't fish. Have caught some nice fish out there also.

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 08/11/17 12:56 AM

I just got a reply from the superintendent over Irving Parks and Rec.

The security guard wasn't totally incorrect.

DCURD owns and maintains the canals, and they do not allow fishing in their waterways. The security guards have been instructed to run off fishermen from the canals.

They allow fishing at Thomas Jefferson Park, because it is a city park. Fishing the canals outside the park is not allowed.

The guards have been given clarification, and shouldn't hassle anyone fishing inside the park.

Fishing is still allowed at the other city parks, and on the Trinity.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 08/11/17 03:26 PM

This is correct, even in spots that don't have signs posted are off limits if the departments owns them.

I do have a question in my head as to some of the aspects involved with the canals. By law a bridge is public property, including under it, which is why you can fish under one but not on one. My beef with DCURD is isn't under a bridge still legal to fish since it's public property? Next, the state of Texas lays claim and ownership of all surface water and fish in said water which is why it can regulate it. If the state owns the water in the canal and not the city doesn't that mean they can't keep someone from kayaking on it unless the state passes off on it? So in that sense someone could take a kayak under a bridge and launch it into the canal and then have free reign on the water, as long as it is a publicly accessible waterway (defined as one that has mean width of 30ft through out the system).

Fishing from the bank there, absolutely not allowed by them though since they own the land.

Eric
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 08/11/17 11:40 PM

Good explanation and valid questions, Eric
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 08/12/17 09:50 PM

Anyone fished Delaware Creek? Looking at google it seems that there are some parks in south Irving for parking and access. If they are worth going to it would be a lot shorter drive for me than to Grand Prairie where I normally go.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 08/12/17 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: erittmueller
This is correct, even in spots that don't have signs posted are off limits if the departments owns them.

I do have a question in my head as to some of the aspects involved with the canals. By law a bridge is public property, including under it, which is why you can fish under one but not on one. My beef with DCURD is isn't under a bridge still legal to fish since it's public property? Next, the state of Texas lays claim and ownership of all surface water and fish in said water which is why it can regulate it. If the state owns the water in the canal and not the city doesn't that mean they can't keep someone from kayaking on it unless the state passes off on it? So in that sense someone could take a kayak under a bridge and launch it into the canal and then have free reign on the water, as long as it is a publicly accessible waterway (defined as one that has mean width of 30ft through out the system).

Fishing from the bank there, absolutely not allowed by them though since they own the land.

Eric

Many year ago I used to put in the river at 114 bridge and motor up river, enter a cut and cross a big gravel pit, bank the jon boat and sneak into the back of LBJ golf course and fish a spring fed pond where I slayed big ol ginormous crappie. When the range marshall saw me and headed toward me hollering and such I just high tailed it bout 40 yards back thru the brush to my boat and was gone before he could catch me.
I played cat and mouse with that old fart a bunch of times.

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 08/13/17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Mitt78
Anyone fished Delaware Creek? Looking at google it seems that there are some parks in south Irving for parking and access. If they are worth going to it would be a lot shorter drive for me than to Grand Prairie where I normally go.

I've been a few times, between Irving Blvd and 6th St, and never even gotten a nibble.

Fritz park has a few bass, but it's hardly worth spending more than an hour there.
Posted By: Mitt78

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 08/14/17 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Lee Finlay
Originally Posted By: Mitt78

I've been a few times, between Irving Blvd and 6th St, and never even gotten a nibble.

Fritz park has a few bass, but it's hardly worth spending more than an hour there.

Thanks, I guess Ill keep going to Grand Prairie.
Posted By: Woodwzrd

Re: No Fishing in Irving - 09/11/17 07:22 PM

Town Lake Pond is making a comeback...caught a couple Nice Bass and Catfish there....also saw a 20lb GOLDFISH swimming around.lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum