Texas Fishing Forum

Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament

Posted By: PlanoGuy

Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/09/14 11:08 PM

Wanting to have a bass fishing tournament at oak point pond. Located in Plano. Saturday June 14th. 7 am- 11 am. $20 registration which will be used towards 1st and 2nd place pot. Person with heaviest 2 fish stringer takes 1 st place, 2nd place to the following person. Anyone in?
Posted By: McKinneyLonghorn

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 12:38 AM

This sounds pretty cool. If it happens, I will be in. Having never fished Oak Point I have no idea how I will do, but this should be a great chance to meet some fellow TFFers and make some new friends.

Also, if we don't get enough people to do a tournament, we could just make it a TFF Bank Fishing Forum meet up. I know fshing84, but would love to meet some of the other people who post on this forum.
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 03:58 AM

If I didn't have to make my presence known at the office from 9-1 on Saturdays... I'd come play... here and at every other tourney in existence since they are all Saturday morning almost! Guess I'll just stick to hoping for friendly people with open back seats for Friday night teams tourneys haha

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 04:06 AM

I'm hoping at least 5-10 people would be in.It would be nice to meet a couple tff members. I guess we can wait until Saturday and see how it goes. Oak point has some nice bass.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Mulholland
If I didn't have to make my presence known at the office from 9-1 on Saturdays... I'd come play... here and at every other tourney in existence since they are all Saturday morning almost! Guess I'll just stick to hoping for friendly people with open back seats for Friday night teams tourneys haha

If enough people are in we can possibly change the time to evening?

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 04:12 AM

I have a wedding to attend Saturday night so I am morning only, but hopefully enough people can show up at one of the two times to make it happen. While Oak Point is bigger than Bethany Lakes, if this is a success maybe the second tourney/get together can be held at the five ponds at Bethany.
Posted By: plano_ron

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 05:19 AM

Good luck guys. I've unfortunately not had a lot of success at oak point, I've only caught bluegill and baby crappie. Also there are tons of snakes there, so watch where you step.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 02:03 PM

Don't change it on my account. I already have other stuff to do after work Saturday! haha just expressing my envy of Saturday morning tourneys. I've already rearranged my schedule to open up Friday nights for the lake Lewisville tourneys
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 02:22 PM

I've caught decent bass at Oak point but only a few, most were very small but they just need time to grow up.

This one wasn't bad.

I caught lots that were this size on a small rooster tail and a small minnow sized crankbait. Maybe in a few years they will be big there is lots of forage in Oak point for them to eat.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 02:22 PM

+1 on the snakes.....they are everywhere.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 02:36 PM

Everything I have seen within easy reach of the shore were dinks, did see several large blow ups but they were way out in the middle of the lake. That fishery is fun to fly fish just for kicks.

If you were going for quality and quantity, as well as ease of access, it wouldn't be my first choice of water body in the area lol. Chigger sare bad this year too form the long winter and mild spring/summer so far, protect yourself if you go out there in that grass or you'll regret it horribly!
Posted By: Double K Outdoors

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 06:06 PM

I've only fished this place a handful of times and I've been skunked each time. I might be interested in competing though. Morning is always better for the bite. Just wondering, but how will the fish be weighed? Is there going to be a person to come around or, will we need to keep them on a stringer until the end of the tournament time then have them weighed in?

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 07:57 PM

I've caught good sized bass at oak point. I've also been there several times and have not caught a thing, that's the challenge. A person will come around hourly weighing what's been caught then it can be released. Hoping people show up. Next time it can be at bethany lakes.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 09:02 PM

You should just do CPR... its pretty a weekend fun tourney and not going to be monster fish, length and photo's with identifiers handed out day of should be more than sufficient and spare the fish any harm/trama beyond what is needed to get photos with them.
Posted By: redsoxnation

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Mulholland
You should just do CPR... its pretty a weekend fun tourney and not going to be monster fish, length and photo's with identifiers handed out day of should be more than sufficient and spare the fish any harm/trama beyond what is needed to get photos with them.

^This

You lost me at putting the fish on a stringer until hourly weigh-in. I would highly recommend CPR with identifier pics. I think this may help with participation and make it easier to run the event.

I may be in for Saturday. Will you give an update on the expected participation?
Posted By: Basstoes

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 10:33 PM

Bassgrabbers is doing a tournament this weekend or else I would be in...also the CPR is a must for this format

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/10/14 11:44 PM

That was why I was asking, I would to like to NOT kill a fish accidentally because Catch, Picture & Release was not in effect. I'm still thinking of joining this, but if it's stringer only, I'm finding it harder to justify. The last thing I want to do is kill a healthy big bass.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/11/14 12:06 AM

We can do CPR I wasn't planning on keeping bass on stringer all day. I wouldn't want to kill any bass either.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/13/14 11:30 PM

Any updates?

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/14/14 12:34 AM

Only two people in so far. Not sure if anyone else will join.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/14/14 01:49 AM

I'm happy to come out and fish tomorrow morning, but I am not interested im a tourney with so few people. If people are going to be there I'll be there as well.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/14/14 04:59 AM

With no responses I am not heading to Oak Point. I'll likely be at Bethany wearing a blue backpack. Say hi if you see me.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/14/14 03:35 PM

Next Wed. or Thur. I might check out Oak Point hopefully early I will post here and in the community lakes thread if I get anything. After I spray myself down with deep woods off and put on my mud boots. I wish they would allow kayaks or small conoe's in there it would be cool to fish there in something like that.
Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/16/14 03:32 PM

Why not just join BassGrabbers Tournament Trails. We have an Eastern division that covers Dallas and surrounding areas. Matter of fact, are headed to Bethany lakes in July for you Colin County folks. Affordable entries and mucho fun. www.bassgrabberstrail.com

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/17/14 04:52 AM

I can't speak for anyone else but for me I would have to get a divorce because my wife would not approve me fishing in tournaments where money was involved. rolfmao I bet it is fun though.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/17/14 01:29 PM

It is a ton of fun and the people are great. I wish that I could travel with the group, but with my current personal life, it won't work out. I tried to make the entire trail this year, but I haven't been able to make it to a single event yet. I may still be able to make the Bethany Lakes tourny, but that's still up in the air. I've had a blast competing and will continue to do so when I can.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/18/14 07:15 PM

Tried to fish Oak Point today for an hour and a half with not so much as nibble on my line I fished every cove and every bit of cover I could find and got nothing. I didn't even see anything but minnows in the water and turtles.

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/18/14 07:26 PM

they're out there, definitely seen plenty of 8-12" size bass in the shallows near the dam end, and have seen some bigger ones jump out in the middle of the lake.

And per Bassgrabbers, I made the first event this year then got a promotion and lost my Saturday mornings to work... otherwise I'd be out there taking everyone's cash and big bass at Bethanie for sure if nothing else haha
Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/18/14 07:43 PM

Whatever the case may be, we ate very welcoming and super friendly. Hope to see you guys there someday. I hope this tourney works out. The more for us bankers, the better. God bless

Re: Plano Oak Point Pond Tournament - 06/18/14 07:57 PM

I'm not saying there are no bass at Oak point. There just wasn't any bass there today. The bass just bolt when I showed up today. I've caught a few there before but its tough.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum