Texas Fishing Forum

Bank fishing gear

Posted By: KyleW

Bank fishing gear - 05/27/13 03:23 AM

Hey guys,
I fish with a spinning reel (nothing too expensive), but my rod broke about a month ago and I switched to a baitcaster rod for temporary fishing but I think that I've been missing a lot of strikes because of how thick the pole is. I mainly fish in ponds like the ones at Bethany. I'm looking for an inexpensive pole ($20-$40 range) to use for pond fishing. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Posted By: redraider4life

Re: Bank fishing gear - 05/27/13 03:41 AM

Go to Academy.. get you the 6'6" med hvy ... green pole with cork handle.. best 12 bucks you will ever spend
Posted By: SDhookem

Re: Bank fishing gear - 05/27/13 03:45 AM

For the price you stated a Berkeley lightning rod would be a good start. A 6'6 med/hvy is a good all-purpose setup.

Re: Bank fishing gear - 05/27/13 03:57 AM

I mainly fish for bass but occasionally I will use two poles and leave one down for catfish, and the pond I fish at has produced fairly large catfish.. will this pole hold up to at least 10 pounds?

Re: Bank fishing gear - 05/27/13 04:33 AM

Yes.. most med hvy rods will be rated for 12 to 20lb test line. Just because a rod is rated for 12lb line doesn't mean you can only catch 12lb fish. With your drag set properly you can catch fish that weigh much more than you think. The line rating on a rod is just a recommendation. I pay more attention to the lure rating personally.
Posted By: kjwolvy

Re: Bank fishing gear - 05/27/13 09:31 PM

Can't go wrong with an Ugly stick. They came in various weights/actions.

Re: Bank fishing gear - 05/27/13 10:02 PM

I actually forgot about an ugly stick. That rod just will not break.
Posted By: FlatsFisher613

Re: Bank fishing gear - 05/27/13 10:45 PM

I picked up a Mitchell spinning combo at Dick's a few years ago. (Actually picked up two). Paid $10.00 each. Figured I would use them once and have to toss them. They are 6' light action rods and are a blast to pond fish with!

Re: Bank fishing gear - 05/28/13 12:46 AM

Thanks everyone. Will be looking for the names provided when I go buy a new rod.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Bank fishing gear - 05/28/13 06:17 AM

Pm sent

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/16/13 09:54 PM

Denali Jadewood (http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Denali_Jadewood_Series_Spinning_Rods/descpage-DJSS.html) or Berkley Lightning rod? Thanks
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/16/13 10:11 PM

Unless you're fishing for monster cats, I think a guy is about as well off with the cheaper equipment. I firmly believe that the more you pay for a rod 'n reel, the more likely it is to get pulled in or stolen.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/16/13 10:26 PM

6ft 6in Berkley Lightening rod in medium will suit you better for ponds like Bethany. I throw spinnerbaits, topwaters, and crankbaits as small as 1/8 oz. Soft plastics I will throw baits as small as 1/16 oz on mine. You can't do that with a medium/heavy rod!
Posted By: FW51

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/16/13 10:54 PM

I believe what Uncle bagster said, I almost got pulled in to the expensive stuff, watch too many fishing shows, look at BPS or Cabela's too much, and they will have you hook, line & sinker, and most of the time, you will not get the money back that you spent on the expensive stuff. IMO.
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/16/13 11:46 PM

The jade wood is a far superior rod to the lightning. If you are ok with the price.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/17/13 12:07 AM

I just looked it up, the Denali Jade Wood is about $90. The Ugly Stik is $40. The Lightning Rod is also $40. How about a Berkley Cherrywood at $25?
Posted By: FreeFall

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/17/13 01:13 AM

Try ffo tackle.com cherrywoods are 15 and they have some abu garcias for 18 m action. Actually the cherrywood is a mh.
Posted By: RickS.

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/17/13 03:48 AM

I use only bait casting gear. There are some pretty good lower end rods out there. Granted the higher end ones do give you more sensitivity and usually more guides on the rod. But work within your budget. Medium/heavy rods are pretty versatile. Can be used for just about every application just fine.
You can always upgrade and get more specialized rods later on down the road. I fished many tournaments with some lower priced rods. And medium priced reels. To me the reel is probably the more important of the two. It can't be said enough about working within your budget.
Posted By: Laker One

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/17/13 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: SDhookem
For the price you stated a Berkeley lightning rod would be a good start. A 6'6 med/hvy is a good all-purpose setup.

Plus #1.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/17/13 12:06 PM

The cherry rod is prone to breaking, I used to buy them on sale at academy but after having 2 break unexpectedly I don't buy them any more. I really like the new ugly stick lite. I have caught everything from a 1oz bream to a 10lb striper on it.
Posted By: GoldSpoonr

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/17/13 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: RickS.
I use only bait casting gear. There are some pretty good lower end rods out there. Granted the higher end ones do give you more sensitivity and usually more guides on the rod. But work within your budget. Medium/heavy rods are pretty versatile. Can be used for just about every application just fine.
You can always upgrade and get more specialized rods later on down the road. I fished many tournaments with some lower priced rods. And medium priced reels. To me the reel is probably the more important of the two. It can't be said enough about working within your budget.

+1

cept' the fishing in tournaments jazz grin

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/18/13 01:03 AM

Didn't give a well explanation, I have a way to get the Jadewood for the same price it would take to get the lightning rod.
Posted By: RussPrater "Bass Commander"

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/18/13 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: CrappyBassfishindude
6ft 6in Berkley Lightening rod in medium will suit you better for ponds like Bethany. I throw spinnerbaits, topwaters, and crankbaits as small as 1/8 oz. Soft plastics I will throw baits as small as 1/16 oz on mine. You can't do that with a medium/heavy rod!
Posted By: postoak

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/18/13 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: KyleW
Didn't give a well explanation, I have a way to get the Jadewood for the same price it would take to get the lightning rod.

Jadewood = $90

Lightning Rod = $40

Are you saying you can get the Jadewood for $40? If not, for how much?

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/18/13 09:21 PM

Yes. A good friend of mine has one that he didn't use much, and instead of it collecting dust he offered to sell me it for $40.
Posted By: WTB75067

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/19/13 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: redraider4life
Go to Academy.. get you the 6'6" med hvy ... green pole with cork handle.. best 12 bucks you will ever spend

x2 on that one!!!!
Posted By: DavidMckoy

Re: Bank fishing gear - 07/20/13 07:14 AM

Well there are many products available online as well as in popular stores. You must find look for your requirement at the shops that are near the area where you go for fishing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum