Texas Fishing Forum

Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank?

Posted By: fishluvme

Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/21/13 01:04 AM

Where are good locations to go catch stripers, casting off the bank around north texas?
I know there is always Texoma and Tawakoni but tawak needs a large amount of rain to get that dam flowing... banana
Posted By: LakeLass

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/21/13 02:57 AM

possum kingdom

granbury

whitney

buchanan

mansfield dam (below lake travis)
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/21/13 01:13 PM

We don't call hybrids, wipers here in TX.... jk lol

Tawakoni has a spillway not a dam. We need lots of rain for any of the dams to release a good amount of water.
Posted By: WildEd

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/21/13 05:02 PM

The problem is you no longer can get back of the dams in the Central Texas area on the Colorado river chain. We used to catch some great ones back of Buchanan and LBJ.
Posted By: PatchesMark

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/22/13 02:29 PM

Good morning ! Lake Texoma also has some BIG FISH ! I have caught some BIG Blue Cats around the Marinas and there are also some Big stripers. Might want to book a trip with Cap't Cal on Texoma - (903)786-3499 or (903)624-9729 cell. I have been fishing with Cal for 20 years, knows where the fish are !
Posted By: LeanderLuvs2Fish

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/22/13 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeLass
possum kingdom

granbury

whitney

buchanan

mansfield dam (below lake travis)

My son and friends are planning a camping trip in July to Possum Kingdom. Where would you go on Possum Kingdom to catch whites and hybrid stripers and/or stripers from the bank?

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/22/13 04:00 PM

Below the dam at PK is good.
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/22/13 05:36 PM

heard it was blocked off after 9/11?
Posted By: fishluvme

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/26/13 09:51 PM

Why would they do that? Is this for the majority of spillways?
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/28/13 04:58 AM

Granburry,pk,and Whitney have gone way down hill with golden alge. Fish are still present, but on all three you can no longer get all the way up to the dam to the good spots. The brazos does still produce some giant fish if you can find the right holes accessible by kayak below all three put out a gizzard shad under a balloon and hold on. Texoma always good Eisenhower park fish the dam pitch black kind of early in the am. Lake proctor really good from the bank now while the shad spawn at first light sowel creek park fish rip rap and all sand bars all the the way to gates of dam. Lots of topwater action poppers and walk the dog type baits, as well as chrome traps. Benbrook tawakoni and lewisvill can also be good off the bank. Here are a few from the last few days. I don't bank fish offer but it has been so good recently there is no need to take the boat. Might as well save gas.
Posted By: young cat

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/28/13 08:13 PM

Those are some nice fish
Posted By: FlatsFisher613

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/28/13 09:31 PM

What about the low water crossing below mansfield dam? I thought that was still open?
Posted By: GoldSpoonr

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/29/13 05:00 PM

Nice Size fish there!
Posted By: wobblyopp

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/29/13 09:51 PM

what does gizzard shad under a balloon mean?

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/29/13 10:13 PM

balloon rig

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/30/13 03:16 AM

Oh sorry it's a weightless rig with a long leader and a balloon for a float. I prefer the balloon over a cork because I feel the balloon offers less resistance to the shad and allows the most natural presentation. It's funny you can really feel or see the shad getting nurvis before it looks like a toilet flushed on the surface. If you are wanting to get the shad down into a deep hole cut off about 14 in. Of floro and attach it to the end of your line with a double surgeons knot it's a flyfishing knot used to attach tippet I really feel it holds 100% Of the strength. Only add enough split shot above the knot to get the shad off the surface you don't want to hamper his movement. Hope this helps with a few ideas. There are resident fish up and down the brazos but the best times below the dams for big fish seems to be late fall into spring,January normaly really good.

Re: Best spillways/ dams for stripers/wipers in North texas off the bank? - 05/30/13 03:17 AM

You want some real fun hook into one on the fly rod lol.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum