Texas Fishing Forum

Where to catch stripers from a tube?

Posted By: K.D.

Where to catch stripers from a tube? - 09/16/03 11:31 PM

I've never fished for Stripers, but I've read the colder it gets, the easier they are to catch on top. Can you catch them in the coves in Whitney from a tube?

Where can I go, and what time of year is best to catch some stripers tube fishing? I like the idea of fighting a 10 lb. striper from a float tube!

Kelly
Posted By: Mild Bill

Re: Where to catch stripers from a tube? - 09/17/03 12:59 AM

Kelly,
Great post. I've caught lots of them from a tube below Granbury Dam. However, that was prior to 9-11. Now they have placed a boundary where you can not fish the best water. There is a good hole down stream which may produce. If you want, we can get together and I'll show you where I'm talking about. Best time is late November thru March.

Texhoma has some tube places but I think they are iffy. You have to be there at just the right time.

Bill

Re: Where to catch stripers from a tube? - 09/17/03 01:27 AM

Bill,

That sounds like a plan to me! I've got the cold water waders, so let's try and put a trip together come November/December.
Posted By: Steve-O

Re: Where to catch stripers from a tube? - 09/21/03 11:42 PM

Kelly: I've heard below the dam at Texoma. Saw a few caught below the dam on Lavon. Mainly springtime though. Redfin posted a place to catch stripers in the spring. Basically when the north wind blows in may (water is 78 degrees), it blows the shad close to shore. The sandies and stripers can be caught from shore.
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Where to catch stripers from a tube? - 09/23/03 03:20 PM

a fellow I have fished with a few times told me about hooking into a big striper below the dam at Texoma. it towed him up and down the river for half an hour. Every time he would get pulled by his friends on the bank they would all applaud

There are some biggies below that dam, just be sure you have an OK license if you fish the Red anywhere except on the shore from base of dam down to the creek entrance.

------------------
RRhyne56, Flyfishing Warden
rrhyne56@comcast.net
Robins Custom Flies and Leaders

Re: Where to catch stripers from a tube? - 09/23/03 03:34 PM

what a visual! Getting pulled past your friends on the bank. I can just imagine that, it sounds like something out of a movie!

KD
Posted By: Charlie bluewave 18

Re: Where to catch stripers from a tube? - 09/25/03 03:48 AM

I want a ride! That would be so cool. I was towed around for abt. 5 minutes with 12lb 31 inches. channel cat in deep water.Fat as hell and pretty. I let him go back i guess i wasn't hungry. yep I put him back in the water. weighted i'm look at him, se ya fella. I Take a camera now. sure wish i had his picture. I hopes he still swimming in livingston?
Posted By: KUJO

Re: Where to catch stripers from a tube? - 09/30/03 06:04 PM

i know that in the guad you can get them from deeper areas but it needs some finesse. some points have nice islands so just walk upsteam, then get in the water and swim to the middle, letting the river carry you toward the island. otherwise i find an eddy, ancor to the rocks above it (with a homemade one design for this purpose, and really light, since it uses the rivers pressure to hold you, as opposed to brute weight, which is sometimes a tubers bad dream), and fish into the river there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum