Texas Fishing Forum

Spillway Locations To Fish

Posted By: BankAFish

Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/24/12 09:33 AM

Thought it might be worth while to start a thread about spillway locations. Large or small, they're always worth checking out.

Please post nearest intersection if possible. Thx.

Downtown Fort Worth, University & I30. A good time to fish is a after a good rain due to it brings new fish into the area. Lots of Carp, Catfish, Panfish. Strictly catch & release due to the ban. The largest Carp I've caught out of here is 20. Bread balls work well due to peeps feeding ducks, etc.

Posted By: tommysempra

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/24/12 03:47 PM

How about in the West Houston area? smile

Posted By: 13ankin_It

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/24/12 03:58 PM

Lake Lewisville spillway. Only open Friday-Sunday 7 AM-7 PM. I've caught blue cats up to 30, and have seen a few nice hybrids/sandbass/alot of drum caught.

Mill street/Jones. Exit off 35E to Valley ridge

Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/24/12 06:16 PM

cal crossing

Posted By: cypher_orange

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/24/12 06:27 PM

Canyon Lake spillway is the only year round trout fishery in TX. Never caught anything else there though. Very chilly water year round.

Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/24/12 11:41 PM

Tailrace at Bardwell, when releasing, the hybrid fishing is fabulous.

The tailrace at lake Cooper, Ditto.

Lewisville, of course, at LLELA, has GREAT fishing for sandies, hybrids, crappie, cats.

The Lavon dam is legendary when there is a release! Hybrids, crappie, catfish, sandies, even black bass.

Carrollton dam at Sandy Lake, on the Legendary and Fabulous Elm Fork! Hybrids, sandies, crappie, cats, and all manner of rough fish.

California Crossing on the Elm Fork. Hybrids, crappie, sandies, cats, Black and Spotted Bass, all manner of rough fish, including an occasional Alligator Gar, though most are long nosed.

Low water dam on 78, on the East Fork of the Trinity. when running, everything that swims is catchable there.

Greenbelt area below the Ray Roberts tailrace. In winter, great Crappie fishing if you are willing to hike into the woods a bit and look for em. Sandies and hybrids in the spring, and of course, bass and cats as well all yr. That too, by the way is the Legendary and Fabulous Elm Fork of the Trinity, the upper reaches!

Next!:

Rudy

Posted By: Bass fro chop

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 12:06 AM

if your ever in hot springs, arkansas go below the lake hamilton dam. huge white bass, up to 60 lb striper, nice size trout, drum, walleye are what ive seen in a few trips. had my first walleye flip off of lure. kayaked up next to the dam wall. dam fun place and less than five hours from dfw.

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 12:42 AM

Killed some HUGE carp today at one of the above mentioned locales on curly tail grubs and crappie jigs! Seriously! Even had a couple break off.

Had a famous TFF'er in tow and he got a workout!

Rudy

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 02:59 AM

Great resource guys, cheers! smile

Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 03:47 AM

are we gonna see elves, unicorns and fairies @ those legendary spots? lol

Posted By: BoatPatron

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 04:36 AM

OK, so if I go to below the dam at Lewisville, or one of the other spots on the Trinity this time of year, what baits and methods work best? I probably should try below Ray Roberts, since I have fed so many fish in Lake Lewisville when I had a boat.

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 06:22 AM

GEEZ MAN, JUST GO DOWN THERE WITH GEAR AND THROW SOMETHING TILL YOU FIND SOMETHING THEY WILL HIT! We refuse to go and do the fishing for you!!! Damn!

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 06:24 AM

maybe deer, feral hogs, coyotes, beavers, nutria, otters, and a mink or two, if you see a fairy, might be one of the two legged species.

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 06:46 AM

I agree with Rudy, just fish the damn thing man! smile lol. The "mystery" of what you might catch at spillways is the driving force for me. You truly never know what you might catch so it's best to start with old faithful and move onto something else if they aren't biting. As long as some water is spilling over, you're probably going to catch something due to the oxygenation that is occurring in the water.

Behind the Tandy center in Down Town Ft.Worth, cross the bridge, go to the right and fish the spillways. The first one is fairly large and you can catch fish there all year long. I've caught some bigguns when the water is not moving due to fish being land locked right at the spill way. Shhh.. that's one of my personal secrets. wink

Posted By: Don Morey

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 10:17 AM

Granger L. & Georgetown L. both have spillways

Posted By: BonyStringers

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 10:32 AM

+1 on Canyon Spillway!! When i lived down in Wimberley i was a regular there. Caught a mess of trout out of there and a few nice Striper like this one.

Posted By: papa peck

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 11:55 AM

Here is a picture of the true "legend of the metroplex", doing what he loves. Notice the pole is doubled over and he's using 2 hands to hold the rod. Rudy caught several drum, only 1 sandbass and several carp. A carp is what he's wrestling with in this pic. I didn't get a pic of the fish but it was a nice one. Those things make run after run after run - very strong fish and a whole lot of fun to catch, you just gotta hold on and let them run.
We did not find the sandbass, probably hit it at the wrong time of day, but had a great time with what we did find.
It is true - you never know what you're going to catch at a spillway.
Those carp were particularly entertaining in that they would swim right into the current and attempt to climb the spillway. They looked like salmon when they are jumping up and over the rushing water. Hard to believe if you don't see for it yourself.

Posted By: cypher_orange

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 03:45 PM

Another fun spillway is below Lake Corpus Christi. I haven't been in years but that is the place for "rough fish." Big gar, drum etc. Also crappie, LMB and BIG cats. Fun place.

Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 06:50 PM

Great stuff guys! thumb

Posted By: Bossier Bengal

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 10:05 PM

Lock & Dams 4 and 5 on the Red River. Maybe the best spot in the south to catch Big Blues.... Water is almost constantly running. If you ever want to go just message me.. The Big Blues run from June until October.

Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 10:51 PM

I also believe there is a Lock and Dam just above Lake Livingston near Centerville Tx.I have never fished it but hear it is legendary for Crappie,Sand Bass,& Blues.Generations have fished it.

Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/25/12 10:59 PM

Hey BoatPatron just go down there and SLANG WHAT YA BRANG!!is what there trying to tell ya man.oh &btw, WELCOME ABOARD!!

Posted By: mikebogfoot

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 12:07 AM

where is Lock & Dams 4 and 5 on the Red River located?

Posted By: Bossier Bengal

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: mikebogfoot
Originally Posted By: mikebogfoot
Lock #5 is 20 miles south of Shreveport on Hwy 71 and Lock # 4 is 35 miles south of Lock #5 on Hwy 1.

Posted By: ttt629

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 01:10 AM

took wife and son fishing last weekend for sandy and end up with these fishes.
http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj53...nt=IMG_6683.jpg

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 01:22 AM

http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj53...8-47-14_623.jpg

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 01:26 AM

sorry, first time posting photo

Posted By: mikebogfoot

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 01:41 AM

hey bossier,tell me more about the locks,deep water,moving water,how much bank fishing,i wanna come try them out soon....thanks man

Posted By: namnutz

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 02:00 AM

nice stringer! is that in texas?

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 02:18 AM

yes, lake Palestine spillway

Posted By: FishHarder

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 03:26 AM

Hey Papa Peck,
Where'd you take that picture of Rudy? That is a very pretty stretch of water.

Posted By: awdieee

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: papa peck
Here is a picture of the true "legend of the metroplex", doing what he loves. Notice the pole is doubled over and he's using 2 hands to hold the rod. Rudy caught several drum, only 1 sandbass and several carp. A carp is what he's wrestling with in this pic. I didn't get a pic of the fish but it was a nice one. Those things make run after run after run - very strong fish and a whole lot of fun to catch, you just gotta hold on and let them run.
We did not find the sandbass, probably hit it at the wrong time of day, but had a great time with what we did find.
It is true - you never know what you're going to catch at a spillway.
Those carp were particularly entertaining in that they would swim right into the current and attempt to climb the spillway. They looked like salmon when they are jumping up and over the rushing water. Hard to believe if you don't see for it yourself.

The water actually went down more than 2 ft since Tuesday. Glad I was able to hit that spot and did pretty well on the hybrids while they were there.

Lee

Posted By: Cody Neace

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 04:51 AM

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: FishHarder
Hey Papa Peck,
Where'd you take that picture of Rudy? That is a very pretty stretch of water.

Question of the day! I can't find that spillway anywhere, been looking all day. hmm...

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 09:32 AM

Let's get some videos on this thread!

Bummer...video embed not working...

Sandy Lake (Carrollton Dam)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Ub8lyOJXY

California Crossing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz82n50sNgo

Posted By: Sunfish Fly

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 01:11 PM

How is the fishing at the sandy lake dam

Posted By: Gom

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 02:05 PM

Navarro Mills is good if you are able to manuever the stairs or rocks. You can catch good crappie on the wall. Hybrids and sandbass are good when they are releasing water. Lots of huge cats. I caught a 50+pounder a few years back on a ultra light crappie rig that gave me a fun fight. If they arn't releasing water, you can hike down Richland creek and fish the deep pools.There's a pool further down the creek the size of a small farm pond, loaded with crappie. Cast out your favorite crappie jig underneath a small cork and you can catch all the crappie you can carry back.

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 05:03 PM

i went 2 weeks ago to sandy lake dam and only caught gars

Posted By: 1/32oz

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 06:30 PM

BankAFish, search for 32.841506, -96.889759 from Google map and you will get exact location.
Good luck

Posted By: tmds3

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: 1/32oz
BankAFish, search for 32.841506, -96.889759 from Google map and you will get exact location.
Good luck
WOW really

Posted By: Mark Ray

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 08:57 PM

Joe Pool spill way can be good but either get somebody to drop you off or drive an old beater with nothing to steal in it and leave your windows rolled down.

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/26/12 10:17 PM

Good luck

Thanks mate! Funny thing is, I have this exact spot on my Google Earth fishing locations from about 5 years ago. lol. The ol' noggin isn't remembering as well as it used to. smile

Posted By: dangling_angling

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/27/12 04:48 AM

Good luck

I've been trying to find a way to get there from the north east thru those trails. would it be better access from century blvd?

Posted By: thebreeze64

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/27/12 07:47 PM

Great thread Guy's. Hats off:)

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/29/12 11:22 AM

wow..went to the Lewisville dam by the nature preserve to do some fishing. I can safely say I'll never try that again. lol. Just way too many people bumping elbows, tangling lines, etc, etc. I also called the game warden on my way out because they were keeping under sized fish. The good news is, there are plenty of fish there! I was seeing whites, hybrids, catfish, drum, being caught what seemed like every minute or so! If I go back, I'll probably fish further down the river. But otherwise....jeesh...what a mess. lol...

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/29/12 01:57 PM

any big hybrids?

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/29/12 02:32 PM

No hybrid lunkers, but legal size. I did some very fat whites though.

Posted By: gar1970

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 04/30/12 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: cypher_orange
Another fun spillway is below Lake Corpus Christi. I haven't been in years but that is the place for "rough fish." Big gar, drum etc. Also crappie, LMB and BIG cats. Fun place.
i went about 2 years ago they had a big fence with barbwire and security driving by and no trespassing signs everywhere.think its due to 9/11

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 05/01/12 06:20 AM

The dam / spillway at Granbury Lake used to be incredible. You could walk right up to the dam, easily cast out for stripers and cats. After 911, they stopped allowing that and now you can't come near it. You can still fish behind the dam, but not as close.

Posted By: add147

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 05/11/12 02:14 AM

Wright Patman up in Cass and Bowie county has a nice spill way / dam and there's plenty of fish when the corp releases water. Caught some bluecats there in early April after all of the rain!

Posted By: CCTX

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 11/04/12 03:41 PM

Some of the best times I've ever had bank fishing were at the Inks Lake spillway near Burnet, TX. Incredible monster striper fishing.
Posted By: Max_S

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 11/06/12 04:17 PM

Is the spillway below Lake Travis accessible?

How about the ones below Belton and Stillhouse?
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 11/06/12 05:53 PM

Best fishing I had in the 90's was below Max Starcke Dam. Caught all species. First place I ever caught back to back 2 lb crappie on a rattle trap. I was shocked!! Beautiful hiking area too.
Posted By: DaBankFishamen

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 07/02/19 08:51 PM

Has anyone been to LLELA lately?
Iíve been wanting to go, but I donít necessarily want to be fishing with 400 other people.

Has it simmered down at all?
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 07/03/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by DaBankFishamen
Has anyone been to LLELA lately?
Iíve been wanting to go, but I donít necessarily want to be fishing with 400 other people.

Has it simmered down at all?

I would suggest that you call them. As much water I have seen down stream, the area may be flooded. The last update on the website is from June so it won't be reliable. Phone number is 972.219.3550
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 07/04/19 02:13 AM

Any thoughts about the Tawakoni tailrace this time of year?
Posted By: Jr.

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 07/04/19 04:01 PM

I have the worst luck fishing I've spent countless hours fishing these locations near dfw and past with no luck with the exception of a few catfish and white bass in the spring . I have been using lures to target striper/hybrids with absolutely no luck, not a single one! lol its disappointing but I always enjoy my time out exploring.
Posted By: DaBankFishamen

Re: Spillway Locations To Fish - 07/09/19 04:18 PM

So..
We went out to LLELA (Lewisville Lake Environmental Learning Area) and it was P-A-C-K-E-D
Literally couldnít fish a spot

Me and my 2 friends crossed lines or had our lines crossed over 10 times.

It was fun because we adjusted and went fishiní for sandies and drum, but man, not enjoyable at all.
If we ever go back, it has to be in the morning on a week-day.

Biggest fish of the day was a 1/2-lb drum, yay
© 2019 Texas Fishing Forum