Texas Fishing Forum

grapevine spillway

Posted By: Demfishes

grapevine spillway - 01/28/12 03:51 AM

Anyone fish it lately?

Posted By: JACKTHE

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/08/12 05:16 PM

are you talking the lake side or downstream from the dam ? Is it legal to fish downstream ? Looks like its fenced off. I fished Grapevine last sunday. Wind was howling. Water was muddy. my buddy caught one fish, A real pale one, about 1.5 lbs on a watermelon red worm. Very tough.

Posted By: Bassplastic

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/08/12 05:24 PM

You can fish in either that spillway pond or the dam outlet just south of there - both are legally accessible.

Posted By: One Blessed Dude

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/08/12 07:22 PM

where do you get to the water from? Looks like the glof coarse has it blcoked off.

Posted By: Dirtbike Fisher

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/08/12 08:42 PM

Yea how do I get down there?

Posted By: acclaimnet

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/08/12 09:59 PM

If you're talking about below the spillway, it's not legal to go down there. No trespassing signs are posted all around the perimeter.

Posted By: Jason b wilson

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/11/12 03:58 PM

acclaimnet is right...i got busted down there last fall. Thank god i got a warning only....saw alot of snakes though

Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/11/12 05:16 PM

I fished downstream of the spillway yesterday and lost something big, missed a bass, and caught a 10-15lb carp on a crappie jig.

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/13/12 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: acclaimnet
If you're talking about below the spillway, it's not legal to go down there. No trespassing signs are posted all around the perimeter.

I haven't been down there in 5 or 6 years at least, but I think I was legal when I was down there. You could hike down the hill to the water without seeing any signs. They did have signs once down by the water - they were posted all along the Eastern edge of the spillway pond telling you not to go past them...but they were all facing the water itself, saying don't go past them into the woods.

Using my somewhat dulled logic, if I can read a sign that says don't go past it, and I don't go past it, then I must be legal where I'm at to be able to read the sign in the first place.

Legal or not, I don't really think there are all that many fish in that pond. It seemed pretty barren to me.

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/13/12 04:49 PM

...and are you guys talking about the spillway or the dam's outlet??

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/13/12 05:08 PM

I'm talking about the spillway "pond". Not sure about the dam's outlet (tailrace), but I have seen people "surfing" kayaks in the tailrace before so it might be different down there.

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/13/12 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: acclaimnet
I'm talking about the spillway "pond". Not sure about the dam's outlet (tailrace), but I have seen people "surfing" kayaks in the tailrace before so it might be different down there.

Yeah, I've paddled down there before. That's a buttwhip of a walk with a kayak slung over your shoulder!

Posted By: Demfishes

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/13/12 05:33 PM

So you can fish the tailrace?

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/13/12 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: thenatural
So you can fish the tailrace?

Unless the Corps has changed something like apparently they've done with the spillway.

Assuming they haven't, you just have to park at that gate by the turn-in and then walk down from there.

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/14/12 03:38 AM

where do you park?

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/14/12 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Jason b wilson
where do you park?

As soon as you turn into the entrance for Grapevine golf course, there's a parking lot on your right. Just park at the south end of that lot and keep walking south.

Posted By: Bill in Arlington

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/15/12 02:44 AM

Be Careful parking in the lot just outside the golf course I have seen a few cars get broken into at that lot .

Re: grapevine spillway - 02/16/12 07:34 AM

good info thx

Posted By: Penskes

Re: grapevine spillway - 07/10/17 05:26 PM

I'm new around here but was driving past on July 3rd and i just pulled over and parked off the shoulder of the road after I passed the spillway and hiked down there about 11 am (sunny and hot) so there was about 3 feet a shade on right under that south east wall so me n the dog huddled in that shade a d tbrew out night crawlers and mepps the water was clean but chokked FULL of baby bass so we toughed it for about 1.5 hours and didn't have a single hit but saw baby bass chase the spinning lure. Ha know too many small baitfish but the water cleat pretty green and still like a mirror. I never saw a single sign atl. I thot I found nirvana but there's too many baby bass to eat I think. That turn out on the southeast (grapevine side is thebest place to park I noticed that when I left. If any body knows how to get them brooders to bite i'm sure there's a lot of em there...
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: grapevine spillway - 07/10/17 06:11 PM

20 years ago I fished both the spillway after floods and the tailrace, they were full of yellow cats up to 35 lbs. Its communism down there now. Have to pay to even look at lake.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum