Texas Fishing Forum

Ponds in Plano

Posted By: planogator

Ponds in Plano - 03/24/11 02:42 PM

Are there any decent ponds to fish in Plano?
Posted By: Dwaynew2011

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/24/11 04:33 PM

There's one off of Preston & Tennyson that my FedEx driver was telling me about yesterday.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/24/11 04:41 PM

Thanks I'll check it out
Posted By: Coreywms

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/24/11 05:14 PM

Los rios near jupiter.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/24/11 05:19 PM

Is that near Parker and Jupiter?
Posted By: mattg1980

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/24/11 07:19 PM

Oak Point Park/Nature Preserve is off Los Rios and Jupiter...about half mile north of Parker and Jupiter.
Posted By: Wafflejaw

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/24/11 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: planogator
Is that near Parker and Jupiter?

Yea just head north on Jupiter pass spring creek and Los Rios is right after that on the right side..Take a right and Oakpoint park is on the right hand side...Nice big pond there.

Shawnee park is right off of Parker..In between Jupiter and 75...Caught some healthy bass there last Saturday biggest going around 3 lbs...Kinda small,but a fun stop every now and then.
Posted By: King_Fisher

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/24/11 11:15 PM

There are a bunch of good ponds to fish in Plano. Bob Woodruff, Oakpointe Park, and Crowley Park just south of Plano in Richardson. Also Bethany Park in Allen.

Click on the link in my signature line for location of each.
Posted By: ChickenWilly

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/24/11 11:25 PM

Like everyone has already said there are a lot of good spots to fish around plano! Just have to know which ones have security guards and which ones dont haha Shoot me a p.m . if you wanna get together and do some fishing sometime
Posted By: lizardman

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/25/11 12:55 AM

The Oak Point pond has crappie, bass, channels in it. I fish it quite a bit. Even when I don't catch a thing, it's close and quiet back in there.
There is also a pond just north of Plano in Allen just past Bethany. Take Alma to Bel Air and take a left. Follow Bel Air for a while and you will see it on your left.
Posted By: EmbraceTheTug

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/26/11 02:06 PM

I have yet to find the LMB bite on OakPoint, which is sad because it really is a nice little lake.

I have never fished BW, but seems like it gets a lot of pressure...
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/30/11 06:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Whiskey Six5
I have yet to find the LMB bite on OakPoint, which is sad because it really is a nice little lake.

Probably because TPWD didn't stock it with LMB. hammer
Posted By: Jerry Hamon

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/30/11 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933

BUT, the former owners of the property did when it was a farm pond.

Posted By: lizardman

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/30/11 12:20 PM

I've caught them from palm size(literally) it fit in the palm of my hand to about 4.5 pounds. Not too many but have caught a few. The big one was at night. I just wanted to get out of the house for a little while and had my lighted bobber out with a worm on it. I was getting a bullhead off of a hook when I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye, when I looked all I could see was the glow of the bobber underwater. Fun catch...
I've seen some jumpring that looked even bigger too.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Ponds in Plano - 03/30/11 02:14 PM

I had one good evening there. Was trying for LMB with a big spinner and caught a 13" crappie, caught another crappie, so decided to switch to bobber and tube to get more crappie, caught a LMB. I have seen some over 5lbs caught, but not by me yet.
Posted By: EmbraceTheTug

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/01/11 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933

Well they must have spontaneously appeared...

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5910189/A_little_pond_jumping#Post5910189
Posted By: jwheal

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/18/13 02:57 PM

I just caught a 3+ lb LMB out at OakPoint last night. I used a 1/4 oz rooster tail and worked the banks. I also caught 8 LMB less than 1 lb and a [censored] load of small but aggresive crappie. I even caught a nice bluegill on this setup. All were caught within 10 feet of bank.
Posted By: GoldSpoonr

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/18/13 03:45 PM

Can you fish Oak Pointe at night? (legally)
Posted By: Fishin_Ren

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/18/13 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: GoldSpoonr

The park is open 24/7, there are no signs that state otherwise so I assume yes you can.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/18/13 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishin_Ren_lol

The park is open 24/7, there are no signs that state otherwise so I assume yes you can.

Thanks Ren!

What is feeding the lake?
Rowlett Creek?
Posted By: Crappiejig

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/18/13 06:31 PM

were is the oak pointe pond located

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/18/13 06:56 PM

Thanks Ren!

Rowlett Creek?

Good question! RC does not feeds into this lake (large pond), the pond has ~2-3' dam, and dump water into RC. Unless there is a spring water in the middle of this pond, I say it's a natural water pool of the surrounding hills watershed.

Talking about those hills, the preserve is teems with wild life, the wooded area along the creek below (sought of) the pond has good natural hiking trails, great for kids and adults alike. We always spotted some wildlife in there, tracks every where,but be careful with the creek banks, they are deep and steep...

Also, if you go, I highly recommend you take your kids strolling across the natural prairie to the east of the pond, it is full of little "highways", tunnels in the thick grass criss cross the grassy field. Birds, lots of birds in this preserve. thumb

We don't fish there but we always see people fishing, and there is fishing pier on the pond, and you can see little fish swimming all around the bank... and ripples all over the pond surface, so I know it's a good fishing pond....

My hat is off to the City of Plano, they are doing a good job on this nature preserve and other parks, such as the ARBOR HILLS NATURE PRESERVE on far west side of Plano, that park also has a creek with little fish swimming all over the place, and yes birds and wildlife,... they are awesome/best parks within a city limits. thumb

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/18/13 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Crappiejig
were is the oak pointe pond located

in Plano just south of Allen

Take I-75 to Plano, exit E. Spring Creek Pkwy, head east, turn left on Jupiter road, then right on Los Rios blvd, park entrance is on your right.
Posted By: thumbhookedagain

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/18/13 08:51 PM

Hat's off to the City of Plano, their Parks and Rec do a great job. Lot's of great fishing holes all over. thumb

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/19/13 03:04 PM

Thanks Ren!

Rowlett Creek?

Good question! RC does not feeds into this lake (large pond), the pond has ~2-3' dam, and dump water into RC. Unless there is a spring water in the middle of this pond, I say it's a natural water pool of the surrounding hills watershed.

Talking about those hills, the preserve is teems with wild life, the wooded area along the creek below (sought of) the pond has good natural hiking trails, great for kids and adults alike. We always spotted some wildlife in there, tracks every where,but be careful with the creek banks, they are deep and steep...

Also, if you go, I highly recommend you take your kids strolling across the natural prairie to the east of the pond, it is full of little "highways", tunnels in the thick grass criss cross the grassy field. Birds, lots of birds in this preserve. thumb

We don't fish there but we always see people fishing, and there is fishing pier on the pond, and you can see little fish swimming all around the bank... and ripples all over the pond surface, so I know it's a good fishing pond....

My hat is off to the City of Plano, they are doing a good job on this nature preserve and other parks, such as the ARBOR HILLS NATURE PRESERVE on far west side of Plano, that park also has a creek with little fish swimming all over the place, and yes birds and wildlife,... they are awesome/best parks within a city limits. thumb

Agreed!
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Ponds in Plano - 04/21/13 04:15 AM

Why would even consider a pnd when youu have the whole Spring Creek / creek with Chisolm Trail running along side it . I caught my new PB there a couple of weeks ago and have been cathing big ones there after work consitently . my new PB is about 18 inches and I'm sure weighted over 5 lbs . Pictures aare lousey wish I'd had somone to help but trying to get it still by the tape measure and take pics without hurting it proved to much for me . but sincerly Thre are some giants on the bright sunny days concentrate on the slittest shadow or deep water . I looked over the edge and under a bush and there weree 3 the smallest easily 16 inches .. All I did was drop a zoom lizard didnt even have to cast . Also some reall really huge carp and some really nice bluegill. try to start at corner of spring creek and custard and work your way down . under the first bridge in the real shallow by the first colum theres a big female being garded by two males but I couldnt get them to take a lure at all .
Posted By: SVH80

Re: Ponds in Plano - 10/14/15 03:15 PM

Can anyone give an update to any of these spots? The weather is great and I'd like to get my 4 year-old out to catch something larger than his hand! Thanks for the input!
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Ponds in Plano - 10/14/15 09:55 PM

Yep , they've all been fished out by....pffft EVERYONE! I used to fish all the areas mentioned and I've seen people using throw nets to take fish , and people taking fish out to keep them on rod and reel. Its sad that all these areas fished good until people found out about them. Rule #1 is dont share your spots on the forum , plenty of people have found out the hard way me included.
Posted By: Fisherman13

Re: Ponds in Plano - 10/16/15 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SVH80
Can anyone give an update to any of these spots? The weather is great and I'd like to get my 4 year-old out to catch something larger than his hand! Thanks for the input!

Try the catch and release pond at Plano East High School or you could try Stoney Hollow its off of Coldwater Creek. Also got Shawnee Park, Big Lake, and The Davis Library pond. I would say check out Bob Woodruff but I never have luck out there at all. Oak Point can be tough as well. Another pond I haven't had much luck at is Russell Creek, thats about all the places I know off hand that are open to the public with no worries of tresspassing or anything.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 10/16/15 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: YAKaddict
Yep , they've all been fished out by....pffft EVERYONE! I used to fish all the areas mentioned and I've seen people using throw nets to take fish , and people taking fish out to keep them on rod and reel. Its sad that all these areas fished good until people found out about them. Rule #1 is dont share your spots on the forum , plenty of people have found out the hard way me included.

Your right a lot of the ponds in plano used to be much better. Fishing has gone way down at a lot of places.
Posted By: Bovine

Re: Ponds in Plano - 10/16/15 10:41 PM

Posted By: SVH80

Re: Ponds in Plano - 10/22/15 06:31 PM

Message sent
Posted By: KikoPH

Re: Ponds in Plano - 09/13/16 03:33 AM

Oakpoint Nature Preserve lake does have catfishes and carps. These were caught last Saturday 09/10/2016 around 10am.

Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Ponds in Plano - 09/14/16 02:52 AM

Good stuff...it's close by. I haven't been in a year, but it's time to hit that spot again.

...------

Re: Ponds in Plano - 09/15/16 08:36 AM

White Rock Trail Park in Plano also have some good size sunfish and crappie. I go there for a quick fishing while waiting for my wife shopping at Nordstrom Rack -Preston Shepard Place.

Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Ponds in Plano - 09/23/16 05:29 PM

There's a good pond by Allen event center. There's actually 2 but I've only fished the one closest to Allen event center. There's some decent fish in there went there with some friends we all caught fish the biggest I caught was 3lbs nothing under 1lb.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 09/23/16 07:32 PM

I've been meaning to his those 3 Allen Events Center area ponds...

...------
Posted By: GigTheFish

Re: Ponds in Plano - 09/27/16 04:21 PM

It's good to know that there are some good sized fish in those ponds by the Allen Events center. I've tried those before, and I've caught nothing bigger than 7 or 8 inches. But I always assumed there wasn't anything decent in there and didn't spend too much time looking for good spots. I just go there with my 4-year old since it's an easy spot to fish.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/14/17 08:12 PM

Fished today at Oakpoint Nature Preserve, me and my friend got some small striped bass. Hope they get bigger come springtime.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/15/17 03:08 PM

Sunfishes in White Rock Trail Park in Plano bites are still good. Was there yesterday afternoon and the fishes seems are quite excited smile
Posted By: bright

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/15/17 10:38 PM

Oak point Pond fishing was always fun. A good place to take your kids fishing or your dog for a walk. Due to recent reports of venomous snakes, park authorities restricted all activities after sunset. I didn't believe it until I saw three snakes crossing the concrete walkway to the heavy grassy area of the pond bank. Cops have their routine patrolling after dark.
Now I go to Russell Creek or white Rock trail park. No more oak point, not worth risking my life. Russell Creek can produce some 5 lb lmb every once in a while.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/20/17 09:39 PM

Bright is right about the snakes in Oakpoint. The catfish I caught got bit while on a stringer.
Thinking of waiting till the snake swallow the fish, but felt pity on the fish.
Snake was shooked off using a fishing rod, and fishes were released after.

Posted By: Coffeebreak

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/20/17 11:03 PM

Is it venomous snake?

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/21/17 03:02 AM

hopefully they are diamondback water snakes which are non-venomous. But I'm not really sure.
Lets just take extra care out there.
Posted By: zenmic

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/22/17 04:38 PM

Is there a place to park you vehicle near the lake at Bob Woodruff? I drove by it and saw the lake from Park. Drove around the park, but could not find where you could turn in and park. The nature center had a locked gate.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/23/17 02:51 PM

If I ever do go back to Oak Point, I'll be sure to wear tall rubber boots, but since I have no luck (might be my skill level) I don't have plans to hit it any time soon.

...------
Posted By: Fishin&Dishin

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/23/17 04:23 PM

OMG

I think a snake latched onto my stringer would have sent me home for the day. Good to know though. I've been out there quite a few times and never thought about snakes one way or the other. Breckenridge in Richardson has quite a few snakes too. I saw two the last time I was out there. Both were just watersnakes, from what I could tell, but still.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/24/17 02:30 AM

Hi zenmic, yes there are parking spaces on the side of San Gabriel Dr.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 01/25/17 05:19 PM

Yes, as Mr. KikoPH stated, San G., which is on the side by Dooley Elementary school. You have to drive up a block or so to Stave Oak Lane off Park Blvd, then go into the neighborhood and over to the school.

...------
Posted By: zenmic

Re: Ponds in Plano - 02/07/17 06:35 AM

Thanks, I will try again the next time I get free.
Posted By: mopps

Re: Ponds in Plano - 11/14/17 12:31 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some help. Ok so I have taken my 7yr son to oak point twice and all I got was one bite but still had fun. Was hoping y'all can share what type of bait to use, as I am rather new to fishing myself. Tried top water and nightcrawlers but nothing
Thanks

Re: Ponds in Plano - 11/14/17 02:01 PM

Oak Point has skunked me twice in the past 2 years.

I haven't figured it out yet, but I'm starting to get the urge again to show up and "Viking" my way into pummeling that pond.

I'll try weighted worms, spinners and a couple cranks...the usual.

Heck, I'm might even hook some Halloween candy corns if nothing else works. Oak Point won't always beat me.

Addendum: The Zip-line obstacle course is very challenging and quite fun!

...------

Re: Ponds in Plano - 11/14/17 03:46 PM

Viking....lol yea I'm determined to catch something there. I live not too far from there so I'm not giving up just yet.

Re: Ponds in Plano - 11/14/17 05:21 PM

You are also close to Bob Woodruff. Give it a go.

...------

Re: Ponds in Plano - 11/14/17 06:15 PM

Wow u weren't kidding ha! Yea I will try there hopefully this weekend. Any tips?
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Ponds in Plano - 11/15/17 03:55 PM

click on that little flashing mail icon 576 I sent you a pm

Re: Ponds in Plano - 11/16/17 12:29 AM

Never liked Bob Woodruff water was always chocolate milk and was never good to me. Oak Point is very hit or miss. And its sucks cause that pond looks really good and I know it has some decent bass cause I have caught some in the past but it always seemed like I had to fish the whole pond for like 3 bass. I always used yum dingers or senkos in watermelon and red flake rigged weightless T-rig. I have caught on other stuff out there but that was the best bait for me. I really depise that place but still have gone back to be disappointed again lol. I wish Plano would let me put my kayak in there I would find them then! Lots of ponds in Plano if you look around. Use Google earth and even TPWD has public ponds listed on their site online. Here is a link to the community fishing ponds list just scroll down to Collin and Dallas counties and you should be able to locate some places to fish in Plano and other areas.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/cfl_r2.phtml?r=2

Re: Ponds in Plano - 11/16/17 02:48 PM

Cool thanks for the replies and feedback guys!!
Posted By: Oboe

Re: Ponds in Plano - 12/13/17 08:36 PM

If y’all ever see a tall guy fishing with his wife, chances are thats me. Feel free to come on over. I’ve had some good conversations with a few of ya now, and helped out some new guys.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum