Texas Fishing Forum

Mesquite City Lake for Cats

Posted By: Ken P

Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 03:20 AM

Thinking about trying some early morning Catfish action at Mesquite Old City Park lake. Anyone got tips or pointers for this location?

Or should I be trying somewhere else?
Posted By: Carlos Martinez

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 03:44 AM

ive never caught anything out of there but there are many on here who have..
Posted By: marktx

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 04:38 AM

i know they have been stocking them there all summer every cpl weeks, good place for a lot of types of fish if you take the time to learn the area
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 05:44 AM

There was a pic of 60lb yellow that was caught out of Old City Park. That lake gets stocked with catfish all the time.

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Grainraiser
There was a pic of 60lb yellow that was caught out of Old City Park. That lake gets stocked with catfish all the time.

Yeah, I saw that Yella Cat on another post. And I keep hearing about the stockings. Think I'm gonna have to give it a try soon.
Posted By: gurgle eye

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 02:56 PM

the one with the 60 pounder was drained a few years ago i believe. Palos Verdes pond i think? I went last summer and its full of 6 inch mud cats and some carp. I believe Kalub caught some nice bass out of it from some pics he had last year.

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: gurgle eye
the one with the 60 pounder was drained a few years ago i believe. Palos Verdes pond i think? I went last summer and its full of 6 inch mud cats and some carp. I believe Kalub caught some nice bass out of it from some pics he had last year.

Isn't Palos Verdes the pond off of Northwest in Mesquite? Are we talking about the same place?
Posted By: whiterockjesse

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 07:33 PM

yeah i believe i remember the guy DIDNT catch that big cat at the city park pond
Posted By: Dr.Fishz

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 08:06 PM

try the one off galloway with dk or cut shad give that a try

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 09:43 PM

yup...palos verdes is off northwest....nice for walking and jogging...fishing was only worth it if you need live bait....tons of little bitty sunfish and mudcats
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/15/10 10:50 PM

I remember a post about a guy catching a huge catfish out of the city park lake in Mesquite. It may have weighed 60 lb. He had pics and it was definitely City Park Lake in Mesquite. Was it a hoax?

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/16/10 12:41 PM

That pic looked real to me. It looked a lot like Palos Verdes off Northwest in the background. I am almost positive it was Palos Verdes and not the city park one off Galloway. The guy who caught the 60 pounder released it.

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/16/10 12:55 PM

Thanks folks. Gonna wet my line at Old City Park this weekend. I'll put up a report when I'm done...............Unless I get skunked smile

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/16/10 10:56 PM

yes because the background didnt look like the city pond but he did catch it insome mesquite pond . he posted the pond but i cant remember the name of it , i tried to search for it but dint get anywhere
Posted By: Bass fro chop

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/17/10 05:06 PM

they completely drained palos verdes probably 6 or so years ago. and had to restock everything. that 60 pounder if came from there was probably taken and dropped from ray hubbard? . there have been huge cats and carp in city lake caught. kidfish stocks ther and evry 2 week stocking. anyway i have had good luck in the heat of the summer on ray hubbard at zion rd. piers on chicken liver. caught a big blue cat 2 years ago and alot of good eaters out there. heard a big bass out at palos verdes was caught. a neighbor said. palos verdes had bream and small cats the time or 2 i went lately
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/17/10 09:30 PM

It must have been 2 different posts.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/19/10 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: roadtrip
I remember a post about a guy catching a huge catfish out of the city park lake in Mesquite. It may have weighed 60 lb. He had pics and it was definitely City Park Lake in Mesquite. Was it a hoax?

The pic I saw was at City Park Lake. It was right by the bridge that crosses over on the north end. It certainly was not a hoax based on the looks the bystanders had on there faces. I know both parks very well and the pic I saw was City Park Lake.

Reggie
Posted By: Judge Smails

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/19/10 07:31 PM

I grew up fishing on that lake in the 70's.There's been atleast 2 big catfish at city lake. The 60lbs cat your talking about and another one back around 79-80.I used to catch a lot of catfish out of it.Back in around 80 they drained it and you would not believe the fish that come out of that lake.I always had fun fishing that lake.Alot of good memories.Good times
Posted By: Judge Smails

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/19/10 07:36 PM

Also just a note.There's a little private pond not to far from city lake off of New Market in the neighborhood behind the white mansion called Charlie Tosh now if you can get yourself on it there is some great fishing in it.Used to have several friends live there and it was awesome plenty of bass and crappie.
Posted By: paul_376

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/21/10 07:23 PM

Me and my son fish City Lake Park about once a week...
No luck recently but here is his biggest catch out there..

Posted By: paul_376

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/21/10 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Judge Smails
Also just a note.There's a little private pond not to far from city lake off of New Market in the neighborhood behind the white mansion called Charlie Tosh now if you can get yourself on it there is some great fishing in it.Used to have several friends live there and it was awesome plenty of bass and crappie.

We tried to go there but there were no fishing signs so we left

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/21/10 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Grainraiser
Originally Posted By: roadtrip

The pic I saw was at City Park Lake. It was right by the bridge that crosses over on the north end. It certainly was not a hoax based on the looks the bystanders had on there faces. I know both parks very well and the pic I saw was City Park Lake.

Reggie
i stand corrected then. blush as far as a hoax i never thought it was , it was huge thats fo sure
Posted By: TxPacker4

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/22/10 06:15 PM

Ive heard plenty of stories about catfish and bass in there.

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/22/10 08:22 PM

Is this the fish we're speaking of?

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/22/10 09:34 PM

that's the one.....nice find. the guy who caught it let it go too.

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/24/10 04:39 PM

Went out there for a couple hours this morning. Caught two channels. Going to try Crowley Park this evening.

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/30/19 01:17 AM

9 years later ... could it be the same one ? was caught by a friend of mine last week lol [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lil' Bass

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/30/19 05:13 PM

I've went there before. Never seen a catch that big there

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/30/19 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lil' Bass
I've went there before. Never seen a catch that big there

i go there when i have limited time (just to get out of the house too ) .The state stocks decent size Channel Cats there weekly and have seen plenty of fish come out of there . i would not eat a fish from there but a lot do .I only wish the Game Warden would come by more often ,I have a feeling some people there feel like they do not need a license to fish
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/30/19 07:14 PM

I'm curious to know how the angler is holding the fish in his left hand?

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 07/30/19 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
I'm curious to know how the angler is holding the fish in his left hand?

not sure but i know hes a power lifter and is really bulked up big [censored] with muscles , can only think he has the gill plate .. haha he said he landed it without a net too . but like i say hes used to pumping heavy iron ...... when i used to go to the gym ( not weights , but cardio ) i used to see him at the free weights so i know hes very strong

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 08/01/19 03:27 PM

I know that during the Kidfish tournament they stock a lot of Cats on the same day. Last time I was there I saw a Carp come out of the water for just a second to get air or something. I've heard they have Bass but I think more Catfish.

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 08/05/19 11:49 PM

I've only caught fish here when people around me were catching fish.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 08/11/19 08:18 PM

fish My fishing report from 8-10-19. Arrived at Mesquite city lake park at 7:00am.
1. Put out a coffee can full of sour grain.
2. Put out 1 pole with a red wiggler.
3. Put out 2nd pole with a famous punch bait.
4. Noticed there were 5 other people fishing around the lake.
5. After 2 hours of not losing my bait and not see any of the other fishermen do any good I decided to go home and do my lawn work.

My wife told me the catfish are always biting at Kroger's and you don't have to clean them either! LOL! She does have a good point!
That's why they call it fishing.

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 08/17/19 07:00 PM

I'm not sure if people don't get many bites there because of the fishing pressure or because it's just not the right time

Re: Mesquite City Lake for Cats - 08/30/19 02:38 AM

How often does a 5+ lb Channel Cat get caught out of here? I've only seen 2 pounders
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum