Texas Fishing Forum

Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD

Posted By: Richie Rich

Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/02/09 04:48 AM

Got a friend that just moved in some apartments off I-35 @ Western Center. There is a big creek that runs through, just wondering if anyone has fished this area and if so any did ya have any luck?

Richie Rich
Posted By: texguppy

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/02/09 03:00 PM

That place looks good, I may try it sometime. The only problem I see would be parking in the area. A lot of businesses have the towing sign.

Your friend is lucky to have a spot like that!
Posted By: Chris Garcia

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/02/09 04:21 PM

There are some pretty decent catfish in this river. Haven't fished it in a while though...
Posted By: MikeTbob

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/02/09 10:09 PM

I fished it about 2 weeks ago with some lures, didn't have any luck that day.
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/03/09 05:32 AM

when the waters not rushing it's been really good to me. walked many of miles through that creek. my wife use to live off of western center. her boys & i used to go down there all the time. once pulled a 5# LMB from some tree roots near the golf course. you can expect to catch LMB, Perch, Rock Bass, and nice size carp. have seen a few cats when the water was clear. never targeted them there but id bet there are some good ones to be caught. when the water slows the creek gets really clear making it easy to sitecast. i mostly used a 1/4 ounce white/chartruse small spinner bait and walked in the middle of it where i could. BE CAREFUL! creek has a lot of snakes in the summer time. was chased out of the water once by a large watermocasin. very exciting experiance!
Posted By: FishFinder Frank

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/03/09 06:00 PM

I fished it a couple times, just to kill time and catching BG. But once i went down there, and i guess the fishes were hungry cause we were catching crappie using raw chicken under the bridge. Craziest thing i ever seen. Nice cats under their too.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/13/09 09:42 PM

which bridge was this fishfinerfrank?

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/14/09 01:19 AM

I think he is referring to the bridge on western center blvd at I35N

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/14/09 12:18 PM

ahhh, ok.
Posted By: FishFinder Frank

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/14/09 07:22 PM

yea thats the bridge. I fished the side where the cleaners and wingstop is at. Fished liked 3 foot in front of me also. Couldn't catch squat when i casted out.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/25/09 03:22 PM

so, thats what i was doing wrong!

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/30/09 07:05 PM

I'm going to hit this spot Monday morning, since I have the day off for an apptmnt. I'm gonna tear up some Blue Gills and Crappie if I can't get any LMB.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/31/09 05:35 PM

Had to leave when I saw a cop sniffin around my truck..didn't get anything anyway.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/01/09 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeTbob

Had to leave when I saw a cop sniffin around my truck..didn't get anything anyway.

LOL!!! Why? Afraid he was gunna steal something? loco

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/02/09 01:40 AM

HAHA, no, he might have towed it off, though.(That's stealing isn't it?) I was parked in the parking lot near the cleaners.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/02/09 03:47 PM

oh!
Posted By: Aztecace

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/04/09 08:14 PM

Has anyone tried fishing that pond over by the movie theater. Looks good but it has alot of tall weeds around it.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/04/09 08:26 PM

I tried it one day but I gave up after 10 minutes of snags, stuck lures and just a bad attitude. I'd like to try it again sometime, after I get a chainsaw out there. heh.
Posted By: Richie Rich

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/05/09 04:12 PM

Thanks for all the info guys my friend will be taking his son a lot more being the area seems to be nice. Does anyone know what the crappie hit off in this area, was thinking about putting a baby bass assasin on a small beetle spin and on another line work just a baby bass assasin w/redeye jig head. Again thanks for the info its greatly appreciated
Posted By: cedwards0131

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/16/09 07:55 PM

Go to the ponds on that golf course i have seen people pull out 3-5 pounders in there. i live just north of there off North Tarrant so anyone feel like giving it a shot next week or so let me know.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/16/09 10:14 PM

now would be a great time since theres not anyone golfing! im sick right now or might give it a go.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/17/09 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: cedwards0131
Go to the ponds on that golf course i have seen people pull out 3-5 pounders in there. i live just north of there off North Tarrant so anyone feel like giving it a shot next week or so let me know.

Uhm, isn't it illegal to fish there? I don't feel like going to jail for Fishing.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/17/09 02:45 AM

its ok. we all know the owners.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/17/09 04:09 PM

the one that says fish like you stole is worried about jail...hahaha

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/18/09 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: cedwards0131
the one that says fish like you stole is worried about jail...hahaha

HAHA, yeah but I didn't say to actually steal it! Just pretending that I stole it is way good enough for me.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/18/09 04:03 AM

I'm just kidding with ya, I just thought it was funny. But seriously I have on multiple occasions seen people catch 3-5 pounds on the pound on hole 2 or 3 I can't remember. I don't know if its illegal or not I have just seen people fishing there. I used to fish the golf courses back home they never really cared as long as you aren't in the way or in danger
Posted By: PESCADOR12

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/18/09 07:00 AM

I have fished those golf course ponds several years ago, in my wild days. One of the best fishing spots in the world. And yes it is illegal to fish there. Ive tried to get permission from the clubhouse several times with no avail recently. If your gonna go do it at night, and hit the banks with a topwater popper

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/18/09 01:49 PM

When I was younger and capable of outrunning people, I tried fishing a golf course after dark once but I did not have any luck. Now I see a very nice pond/tank near my house, that's owned by a major international corporation (no fences, lights, cameras or trespassing signs) and I am so tempted to drop my line in there just to see if there is anything in it. I think if I were to fish it, I'd have someone drop me off at night and I would have no I.D. with me just in case I got caught.
Posted By: northsidebass

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/23/09 01:12 PM

i went down there off of western center under the bridge and pull out this 8 lbs bass wow i wish i had someone with me so i can take a better picture i cant believe it,....
Posted By: redraider4life

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/23/09 01:34 PM

Nice fish dude!
Posted By: PESCADOR12

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/23/09 11:01 PM

nice fish, but not 8 lbs. maybe 3.5 to 4

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/23/09 11:54 PM

AHHHHH man, I think that's the monster that snapped my line about 3 weeks ago. That's a beauty.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/26/09 04:06 PM

I went out here this morning and there is all kinds of construction going on right on the banks of this creek, they got loaders, dump trucks and bilge pumps, and more noise than you can shake a freakin' stick at. I have no idea what they are doing and all the construction guys are Hispanic so I couldn't just ask them what their doing. The water was terribly muddied,,,,I caught one little bitty bass and left. The constant BEEP BEEP BEEP of the construction vehicles got on my nerves after 20 minutes.

I think I might try again later this afternoon when the construction guys go home for the day.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/27/09 04:50 AM

northsidebass,

Nice bro! what were you using?

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/28/09 03:45 PM

just crank bait....bye the way jon boat junkie i had a scale on me dont hate ....

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 09/29/09 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: northsidebass
just crank bait....bye the way jon boat junkie i had a scale on me dont hate ....

HAHA nice!

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/17/09 12:37 PM

I Caught about 5 undersized Bass and these two pretty little fellas in about an hour this past Sunday morning. I almost forgot how productive fishing with Live Minnows can be.

Posted By: John L

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/18/09 01:54 AM

Nice fish. Were you there at I35?

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/18/09 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: John L
Nice fish. Were you there at I35?

Yes, I35 @ Western Center, it's actually called Little Fossil Creek,,,Big Fossil is further on down the road.
Posted By: John L

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/18/09 04:34 AM

We go to the restraunts up there a couple times a month. I've seen people fish there but have not been myself. Thanks.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/18/09 02:44 PM

nice fish
Posted By: catfisherr

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/25/09 07:15 PM

do you think live minnows would work there

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/26/09 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: catfisherr
do you think live minnows would work there

I know for a fact they do, they seem to work better than any lure I have managed to purchase.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/26/09 03:56 PM

im going there tomorrow and use some live minnows what part of the creek would i use them at

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/26/09 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: catfisherr
im going there tomorrow and use some live minnows what part of the creek would i use them at

I always park in the parking lot East of the creek, not in the Cafe Rositas parking lot. There is a Dentists office and a number of vacant stores here, no one seems to mind me parking there. You can find a path to the bridge embankment which has a horrible slope to it which is where I usually fish from. The embankment has a railing all along the underneath of the overpass and you can fish from both sides of the overpass. I have fished all the way behind the apartments right there too.
Go to google maps and look up 3300 Western Center blvd fort worth, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Good Luck and look for me to be out there sometime too...Fort Worth decided to turn the Trinity into a purple river, so I won't be fishing there any time soon.
http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1791344.html

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/27/09 01:54 AM

what are some good artificial baits down there

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 11/27/09 02:46 AM

I mostly used spinner baits or 3 inch power grub on jig head with a small spinner attached to it. But that's why I started using minnows here, artificials didn't seem to be working too well.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 12/12/09 07:31 PM

Caught both of these today at around 11-1130 AM on minnows again at Fossil Creek. I caught about 5 but only photographed the good ones. I didn't weigh or measure the first fish but the second one was 21 1/2 inches and just under 4 pounds..both fish looked about the same size to me.
I'm wondering if there any Crappie in this creek, I haven't been able to catch a single one
Posted By: brando

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 12/13/09 07:09 AM

that creek is actually part of the trinity river its one of eastern arms of the river it has crappie in it as well as channel cats bullheads shad bluegill lmb carp and river minnows some are just harder to catch than others

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 12/13/09 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeTbob
Fort Worth decided to turn the Trinity...

Talking about the Trinity, I was there last Thursday and walked all the way to the storm drain discharge under 30 and noticed 5 fishes just suspended next to that area. Two where white and the other three where just shadows.

I threw everything I had (buzz, spinner, worm, jig) and nothing. They would just see the bait and stay there.

For me, they looked like koi fish but who knows. Especially them two white ones. They where of nice size but wouldn't bite.

Has anyone seen them before? It was an interesting sight, lol!

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 12/13/09 05:01 PM

I've not seen anything like that, maybe they were just blinded by that purple dye Fort Worth decided to use a few weeks ago?! loco

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 12/14/09 02:00 AM

Could be, lol!!
Posted By: bassitup

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 12/14/09 07:05 PM

supposedly the koi wash out from a pond in the botanical gardens sometimes. at least thats what i was told. I know what drain youre talking about and I have seen them there a couple times myself.
Posted By: redraider4life

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 12/14/09 09:27 PM

Bassitup, are you feeling well? Too many beers make things appear much different than they really are!

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/13/10 04:12 PM

The whole creek is frozen solid, except for under the bridge and further north where all the construction is.

I'm glad I checked it out before I loaded up my car! bannana2

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/13/10 09:36 PM

thks bro i was going !!

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/15/10 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: northsidebass
thks bro i was going !!

Your Welcome
As of today, the creek is ice free, but I didn't fish it. I tried a couple of community ponds and got skunked in the rain/mist which is okay, I got out of the house more importantly.
Posted By: fish-n-fiend

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/23/10 06:46 PM

I have always wondered about these spots..i pass them evryday heading to and from work..I live in Keller...but now, i have reason to stop and fish!!! yipee!!!

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/23/10 09:32 PM

Nice!
If you see me out there, stop and say hi, I usually fish it on the weekends and I'm thinking of fishing it tomorrow.
Posted By: spradyak

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/24/10 04:13 AM

I live close to Western Center, but haven't fished Big Fossil. Where is the best place to access it?

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/24/10 04:54 AM

For me, The Bridge I35N at Western Center Blvd.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4190853/catfisherr#Post4190853

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 03/14/10 07:30 PM

As they say at Southwest airlines, "Grab yer bags, it's ON!"
All caught on Minnows and released to fight another day. I caught about 9 this morning but only photographed these 4. Fished for two hours and got nothing, then all of a sudden, boom 9 fish in 45 minutes to an hour. That was fun.

Posted By: mbrown2626

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 04/12/10 07:01 PM

I hit up 35 and Western Center on Friday for about 40 min. Caught 2 LMB one just over 2lbs both on Senkos. Only a couple places to access the water from shore. I did try and fish over some brush on the bank and I saw a snake that scared me [censored] out of me. I'm not snake expert but it was fat, short (about 2 ft) and black and in the water. That to me is the kind of snake I dont want any part of.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 04/13/10 11:47 AM

Nice!
No pictures? You can also fish all the property behind those apartments, they don't mind as long as you keep it clean. You can also park on that elevated parking lot above the creek, I have asked and no one seems to mind.
Posted By: LOS

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/08/10 05:51 AM

are you bringing in your minnows or catching them at the creek (casting net)?

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/08/10 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By: LOS
are you bringing in your minnows or catching them at the creek (casting net)?

I buy them at Olsens ProAm bait/tackle store on Lake Worth Blvd aka Jacksboro hwy aka hwy 199. They have all sizes and all kinds of live baits and tackle.
ProAm shop
I know of another place to get Minnows nearby, but they only have one size Minnow(tiny) and they give them to you in some kind of blue water,,,tidy bowl tablets??lol They have virtually no tackle either.
Pioneer Grocery
You plan on going out there sometime this weekend? You might see me out there, if you do, please stop and say hello or whatnot.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/08/10 10:15 PM

I actually went out here this afternoon from about 1200 to 1500 to try my luck on the Bluegills that I have been seeing lately. I did manage to bank several Green Sunfish but no Bluegills today. I might go back out around dusk and try again....I think I need some smaller gear than what I have. The water is clear to the bottom up to 5 feet deep until you get back behind the apartments there, it becomes very stained and murky. I had all my luck directly under the bridges on a 2 inch grub with a small spinner attached. I also used a bobber because if you don't then you get a ton of moss on your lure. I had a skillion bites but like I said, I think I need smaller gear.
Posted By: David Cole

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/08/10 10:26 PM

Occasionally, you can buy minnows at Cabela's. Call first to make sure they have them. Ask for Fishing.

Are you fishing under I-35N or Western Center back towards the Golf Course? Can you just park in one of the shopping center lots are walk down to the Creek?

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/08/10 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: David Cole
Occasionally, you can buy minnows at Cabela's. Call first to make sure they have them. Ask for Fishing.

Are you fishing under I-35N or Western Center back towards the Golf Course? Can you just park in one of the shopping center lots are walk down to the Creek?

Yep, Western Center back towards the Golf Course I have parked all over that whole area and no one seems to mind. I usually park in the NE lot, with the Dentist office is but I also park on that new parking lot that they built over the creek.

Under I35 is too shallow for anything.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/09/10 09:42 PM

I was by there this morning...I was a bit cool so I didn't venture out...the place by the dentist's office looks really snakey with all the high grass, but across Western Center by the Apartments looked better. I'll have to give it a shot when the weather warms a bit... grin

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/10/10 12:23 AM

Yes, the grass is very tall from all the rains and whatnot but if you park in the dentists parking lot and walk toward that dumpster containment thingamajig, you'll see a path has been stomped into the ground by yours truly and a few other people who fish here. Once you get past that there is a walkway and handrails. crazy You can walk all the way behind the apartments too (they don't mind me at all) and there is a small dam there too.
EDIT: and by the way, I have seen snakes out here, so far only water snakes and not water moccasins or anything else. So do be careful, as you should always be.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/10/10 12:53 AM

Thanks. smile I stopped in the driveway, facing the dumpster container, and ate my Whataburger biscuit and gravy, all the while surveying the tall grass and good looking water. I then drove the road behind Denny's up to the Golf Course looking for a better entrance path. Since it was 63 degrees and I'd stupidly dressed in shorts and a tee, I wussed out and headed home without even rigging a fly rod. Sigh. violin Warmer weather is coming and I'll be back. bouncy
Posted By: nighthob

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/14/10 02:29 AM

I also stopped by to check out this spot. Drove around the parking lot with the parking over the creek. Also, the parking lot next to the dentist. MikeTbob, you parked in both with no trouble? Shop owners ect.? I DID see the area by the dumpster leading down to the walkway with the handrail. I thought under the bridge there would be a nice spot. I was just scouting the area that day though, as I was coming back from Marine Creek. When i do go I'll do more trompin' around, I'll be sure to wear my boots!

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/14/10 02:48 AM

Yeah, I've left my car in all the parking lots for hours. No one has bothered me yet. Watch for snakes, I have seen a few harmless water snakes only, so far.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/14/10 03:29 AM

Ok, cool. Thanks for the heads up! I'll let ya nkow how I did after I get out there.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/15/10 12:35 AM

Keep in mind, once the water settles down from all the rain...this creek runs crystal clear and the fish can see you just as easy as you can see them. I've had to resort to commando tactics more than once! hooked

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/15/10 03:42 AM

Haha, Im pretty good at that. It was the same way when i lived in Lake Tahoe. With the water 99% clear those Rainbow Trout, and Brown Trout were tricky buggers. Always fun though!
Posted By: FortWorthMark

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/25/10 12:36 PM

went out here Sunday to scope it out a little because i don't live to far from here. saw a few people fishing under the western center bridge, caught a few bass. anyone been out here in a while?

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/26/10 01:24 AM

I was out Sunday for a little while...only managed to land one good size bass, several broke off at the bank. Yeah, he got dirty.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/26/10 05:22 AM

Went out on Monday, caught 2 Bass. Nothing to call home about though. Saw a guy across the way hook into a nice 3-4#er though!

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/26/10 05:24 AM

Nice catch Mike!
Posted By: Bassinating

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/29/10 03:13 PM

I went there yesterday and the water was REALLY high.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 07/25/10 07:10 PM

I've been fishing out here for the last few weeks and the algae/moss is getting bad. I predict that by the end of summer, you won't be able to fish it very well. Do not even bother going to the west side of the creek, it's completely covered in the stuff. But the fish are still biting! You need to fish the edges of the moss or right off the bank for best results. I have been tearing up the Bluegills and other Sunfish.
Posted By: Keith_Thompson

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 03/18/11 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: fiSh ZoMbiE
when the waters not rushing it's been really good to me. walked many of miles through that creek. my wife use to live off of western center. her boys & i used to go down there all the time. once pulled a 5# LMB from some tree roots near the golf course. you can expect to catch LMB, Perch, Rock Bass, and nice size carp. have seen a few cats when the water was clear. never targeted them there but id bet there are some good ones to be caught. when the water slows the creek gets really clear making it easy to sitecast. i mostly used a 1/4 ounce white/chartruse small spinner bait and walked in the middle of it where i could. BE CAREFUL! creek has a lot of snakes in the summer time. was chased out of the water once by a large watermocasin. very exciting experiance!

Where did you spot the carp on the creek? I just moved into the area (I am on Blue Mound Road) and looking for carp in the area.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 03/19/11 04:48 AM

There is Carp all through the creek from the bridge to the dam. I've seen them out there splashing around while I fish. Seems to be some decent sized ones too. BTW, I live right off Blue Mound rd too.
Lake Worth has some decent Carp also. Check the rough fish section on this forum.
Posted By: flybug

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/17/13 10:45 PM

I see carp all the time never get um to bite... dang gills are fast on my bait but I love fishing this creek anytime you guys want to hit it up give me a PM and Ill join ya thinking about going down Sat. Would Sunday but My Niners gotta whoop on the falcons that day

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/19/13 07:05 PM

Ill be down under the parking lot at ghengis grill about 2 or 3 if anyone wants to join me Lines tight hope I have some luck lol

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/20/13 05:45 PM

Any Luck? It's mostly 'Gills and Greenies under the bridge.
I plan to be out here Bass fishing on Sunday Jan 27th, probably from 9am til I get tired of fishing, come on out.I have not been out here since the summer so I'll need to locate them.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 01/20/13 07:48 PM

I caught a bunch of warmouths on chicken liver the 27th huh I may come down depending on how my weekend looks luckily its not superbowl sunday so I should be clear lol
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 07/04/14 08:16 PM

I'm bringing this back!!

Went there today to try something different and stay away from the crowds. Worked out pretty well. The grass and weeds are pretty limiting, but, once I figured out how to get to the western side of the creek and fish behind Rosas, things started to pick up. Three bass cruised by where I was standing and I brought a crawl tube right in front of them. Two started to investigate and the third (below) just hammered it. I walked north and caught four more smaller (one was 1.5 lbs or so) on spinner baits. It was all site fishing since it's so shallow and clear. A lot of fun. Might put the kayak in next time I go to try and find more fish. Tons of pan fish running around in there. Also, lots of turtles, one of which chased and ate a spinnerbait. He was a bastard and snapped hard when I was getting the hook out. He was huge!

Posted By: fisheswithkids

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 07/05/14 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
I'm bringing this back!!

Went there today to try something different and stay away from the crowds. Worked out pretty well. The grass and weeds are pretty limiting, but, once I figured out how to get to the western side of the creek and fish behind Rosas, things started to pick up. Three bass cruised by where I was standing and I brought a crawl tube right in front of them. Two started to investigate and the third (below) just hammered it. I walked north and caught four more smaller (one was 1.5 lbs or so) on spinner baits. It was all site fishing since it's so shallow and clear. A lot of fun. Might put the kayak in next time I go to try and find more fish. Tons of pan fish running around in there. Also, lots of turtles, one of which chased and ate a spinnerbait. He was a bastard and snapped hard when I was getting the hook out. He was huge!

Did you see any snake? Did you try fishing around the western center bridge?

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 07/05/14 05:54 AM

I saw zero snakes and I was under western center and north. That's where I caught my fish. Some parts look very snaky, but I didn't see any and I'm VERY snake-cautious.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 07/05/14 05:58 AM

I will say that it's not a very friendly spot for multiple anglers. It's better if you're by yourself and can walk freely without having to overlap others or standing shoulder to shoulder.
Posted By: Bass6296

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 07/22/14 04:42 AM

Will be going there tomarrow if anyone wants to tag team.

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 07/23/14 03:54 AM

Can't make it tomorrow, but I did go yesterday. Caught a 6 inch LMB and a very aggressive blue gill. Missed a decent LMB on a spinnerbait and another attacked a crawfish tube when I was reeling it in on a bad cast and I missed it too. Not quite the day I had the first time I went, but it was more of a trip to clear my head than it was to fish. I wasn't in the best frame of mind but it got the job done.

Give 'em hell!
Posted By: Bass6296

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 07/24/14 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Can't make it tomorrow, but I did go yesterday. Caught a 6 inch LMB and a very aggressive blue gill. Missed a decent LMB on a spinnerbait and another attacked a crawfish tube when I was reeling it in on a bad cast and I missed it too. Not quite the day I had the first time I went, but it was more of a trip to clear my head than it was to fish. I wasn't in the best frame of mind but it got the job done.

Give 'em hell!

We ended up fishing the ponds on the golf course and caught about 20 dinks. Was a way to keep us busy!

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 07/24/14 06:34 PM

I've heard they are strict with fishing on the course and don't give permission. I've thought about giving it a shot, but I haven't taken the chance. I'd take 20 dinks right now. Been very slow my last few times out.
Posted By: Bman92

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 04/20/16 07:03 PM

Can you eat the fish from there?
Posted By: Esnow74

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 04/21/16 03:10 PM

I used to run that course and yes the policy is no fishing. It is a liability issue but I always told the fishermen that they could fish early morning but as soon as you start to see golfers you had to leave. I'm not sure how the current guys handle it but there is some good bass fishing in those ponds and crappie in the creek and big lake.
Posted By: IHeartGroceries

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 05/30/19 08:00 PM

Anybody fish around this area lately? Any productivity reports?
Posted By: LOS

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 07/20/19 05:20 PM

Would also like to know!!!
Posted By: Mflbfultz

Re: Big Fossil Creek @ Western Center BLVD - 08/01/19 06:43 PM

I’d like to know too!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum