Texas Fishing Forum

Winter bank fishing

Posted By: QuirkyCarp2000

Winter bank fishing - 12/05/22 03:04 AM

Now colder weather will be here, what would you be fishing for? What species are good fishing in the winter?
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Winter bank fishing - 12/05/22 03:21 AM

Trout for me right now
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Winter bank fishing - 12/05/22 04:45 AM

Bass and catfish. thumb

Side Note: As mentioned above. Rainbow Trout stockings are going on throughout the winter time. thumb
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Winter bank fishing - 12/05/22 01:37 PM

We are blessed with amazing fish diversity in Texas, so there are lots of options. Winter is the best time for trophy catfish. The stripers, white bass, and hybrid stripers are active all winter. Crappie fishing is really ramping up. Largemouth bass fishing is good year around. Carp and buffalo fishing is great in the winter using range cubes as bait. And as already mentioned, winter is Texas trout season. There are many more freshwater species that are available in the winter, typically you just have to fish in deeper water. If you can’t find anything that interests you in freshwater you can always head for saltwater. roflmao Personally, I will be chasing most of the fish mentioned above in the next couple of months.
Posted By: QuirkyCarp2000

Re: Winter bank fishing - 12/06/22 12:45 AM

Not many places to fish from the bank with deep water. I guess that narrows the locations to southern areas of the lakes/reservoirs where the dams or retaining walls are.

Also, didn't know you can catch trout in Texas. I know they are catchable in New Jersey where I used to live. How and where do you get trout?

I know stripers are catchable in winter, but I'm under the impression that they are more fishable from boat than bank.

Are catfish fishing better in the winter than other times of the year? Someone told me this once, and I wonder if that is true.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Winter bank fishing - 12/06/22 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuirkyCarp2000
Not many places to fish from the bank with deep water. I guess that narrows the locations to southern areas of the lakes/reservoirs where the dams or retaining walls are.

Also, didn't know you can catch trout in Texas. I know they are catchable in New Jersey where I used to live. How and where do you get trout?

I know stripers are catchable in winter, but I'm under the impression that they are more fishable from boat than bank.

Are catfish fishing better in the winter than other times of the year? Someone told me this once, and I wonder if that is true.

There are many areas where you can reach deep water in lakes and ponds from the bank.

Go to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and search trout stocking to get the locations.

Stripers are much more fishable from a boat, but there are places to catch them from the bank.

Trophy catfish are caught at a much higher rate in the winter and can be caught from the bank, but catching big catfish is also much better from a boat. You can catch channel catfish from the bank year around.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum