Texas Fishing Forum

Google Maps Question

Posted By: mbell23

Google Maps Question - 12/23/20 03:57 AM

I've noticed that several people suggest using Google Maps to find accessible creeks to fish. My question is when using it do you Google certain Lakes to find creeks or do you certain areas.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Google Maps Question - 12/23/20 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by mbell23
I've noticed that several people suggest using Google Maps to find accessible creeks to fish. My question is when using it do you Google certain Lakes to find creeks or do you certain areas.

PM sent
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Google Maps Question - 12/24/20 04:01 PM

Lakes, then areas around creeks. I use street view to check access and to make sure it is not posted
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Google Maps Question - 12/24/20 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mbell23

One thing to be aware of, many of the maps are over 5 years old. I found a place that i really wanted to fish, but since the map image was taken, it has been privatized by oil/gas company, and now has a gate installed across the entry road. No access to it anymore. Hopefully, you can find someone to check it out for you like I did, so you don't have to drive 20 or 30 miles for nothing.

Also, try and note the lake level in the images, many of the creeks may be dry or close to it right now, but full when the pic was taken.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Google Maps Question - 12/24/20 07:48 PM

Happens to me all the time. Part of the scouting process....
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Google Maps Question - 12/24/20 08:09 PM

Google Maps has a satelite view that offers some good views. As mentioned those images can be old and not accurate. Google Earth Pro is a program you have to download and IMO more helpful since it has dated images you can select from their database (using the bar at the top of the page). It also has a measuring tool on it that can be handy. I use them both.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum