Texas Fishing Forum

DFW Banking and Cold

Posted By: Indianation65

DFW Banking and Cold - 12/14/20 09:54 PM

I'll cut to the chase...

In my opinion, most DFW ponds, streams and creeks are basically the same, at least of the ones I've hit in the Richardson, Plano, Garland, Allen, North Dallas areas.

I'd surmise it's roughly the same around the all the other suburbs I've never hit.

Things I'm curious about, opinions and experiences in the colder months for bass/cast and retrieve fishing

1. Time of day, does it matter
2. baits, do you use scents/gels/sprays on your lures
3. live baits of any kind?
4. casting deep, along banks, angles, etc.
5. night?

...------
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: DFW Banking and Cold - 12/15/20 12:59 AM

Every pond for the most part will be different. Water and weather conditions will play a very important part along with the depth of the water body. Fish will be more active in a good water body compared to a bad one. Also fishing pressure will play a factor in the bite especially if the water body is small. Follow the patterns throughout the year and adjust your techniques according to conditions and patterns. Just my two cents. 2cents
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: DFW Banking and Cold - 12/15/20 03:25 AM

I found that downsizing your bait and gear is works much better when fishing local ponds. Finesse fishing is what you want to do.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: DFW Banking and Cold - 12/15/20 02:59 PM

I have some ponds and creeks that fish better in the winter. Others completely shut down.

Only one pond stumps me. Can't catch a thing in summer or winter, but catch plenty spring and fall.
Posted By: BigJoeTx1212

Re: DFW Banking and Cold - 12/15/20 06:15 PM

I find that water level in my creek has more to do with catching than the time of year. Lure choice does change but the hits are year around. I have a few ponds around my area that drive me a little crazy. I never give up on breaking their code. I am old so the cold wind is really the only thing that changes my mind when heading out.
Posted By: ftabangler13

Re: DFW Banking and Cold - 12/15/20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Indianation65
I'll cut to the chase...

In my opinion, most DFW ponds, streams and creeks are basically the same, at least of the ones I've hit in the Richardson, Plano, Garland, Allen, North Dallas areas.

I'd surmise it's roughly the same around the all the other suburbs I've never hit.

Things I'm curious about, opinions and experiences in the colder months for bass/cast and retrieve fishing

1. Time of day, does it matter
2. baits, do you use scents/gels/sprays on your lures
3. live baits of any kind?
4. casting deep, along banks, angles, etc.
5. night?

...------

1. Seems like for ponds in winter i have always caught the most fish from mid morning to mid afternoon, kind of the reverse of prime times in summer. Your mileage may vary.

2. I don’t think scent has any appreciable/testable advantage since bass primarily feed by sight and sound/feel. If it increases your confidence go for it, but i don’t think it makes a difference.

3. I don’t see a reason why it wouldnt work. Caught plenty of bass crappie fishing during the winter on minnows.

4. Depends on conditions and how the pond is laid out. I’ve caught em in the deepest parts when its cold, and caught em in 2 FOW when it was just above freezing (which was not the deepest part of the ponds)

5. I can think of many things i would rather do on a cold night than bass fish lol. More power to you if you get out there and catch a few at night!

In my personal experience, winter fishing for pond bass isnt really that much different than other times of year except that temperature/weather changes have a lot bigger effect on how you have to fish than at other times. If the weather has been consistently cold with little variation or if the temp is rising, don’t shy away from reaction baits. If the temps are dropping you may have to downsize and finesse fish to scratch out one or two rats. Theres a lot of preconceived notions with winter fishing that just arent always true.

Re: DFW Banking and Cold - 12/15/20 10:18 PM

Thanks for the responses, keep'em coming.

I was most curious about "time of day/night."

...------
Posted By: z289sec

Re: DFW Banking and Cold - 12/16/20 12:11 AM

Ive always been curious as to how the pattern works in rivers that have no deep spots, or big dropoffs. Does the entire population of fish just have a big metabolic drop, until sunlight warms some areas, in the winter? Or lack of sunlight cools some areas in the summer? I've tried fishing shade in the summer in these rivers, with slim results, just curious.

Re: DFW Banking and Cold - 01/13/21 04:36 PM

Thanks again...moon!

...------
Posted By: Strat2277

Re: DFW Banking and Cold - 01/26/21 05:26 PM

I do well on ponds with little baits and light gear in the middle of the afternoon. #1 mosquito hooks and small flukes do pretty well all year including the winter. Add a splitshot if you want to go deeper. Every day is a little different with where the fish are so just fan cast until you find where they are at that day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum