Texas Fishing Forum

Need beginner advice for Lake Pflugerville

Posted By: Swyt

Need beginner advice for Lake Pflugerville - 11/27/20 10:22 PM

I'm not very experienced at fishing. I fished at Lake Pflugerville for about 2 hours, about 1:30pm to 3:30pm. Caught nothing and lost a nice topwater spinner thing on my first cast, with it. Line had a nasty spot where it broke, not sure how it happened. I tried a ?medium? bill crainkbait and a black and blue worm with sparkles, and a spinnerbait. On my other rod I had a bobber and a black jig head with a white grub rubber with a red curly tail, and tried to use that as a night crawler. (probably for crappie but I've caught stuff at a old pond before) I only set my hook about 3-4 ft because it was that shallow at the south side of Lake Pflugerville. It seems to be very weedy. I was also casting into 14mph~ wind which sucked. It was about 66F when I left.

I don't really know how to find the fish. How to fish at a depth, how to avoid weeds, or what to fish with. Growing up is was bobber and nightcrawler and caught bluegill and catfish with that. Fishing on a pier at this one lake we went to once a year. I've only caught 2-3 bass ever and 2 of them were with that black and blue sparkle worm. Anyways can anyone give me some pointers?
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: Need beginner advice for Lake Pflugerville - 11/28/20 05:57 PM

PM sent.
Posted By: Scott Farkus

Re: Need beginner advice for Lake Pflugerville - 12/03/20 12:15 PM

You sound like me. I've been there once, fished off the pier near the entrance. I caught one small bass on a pinkish colored Texas rig and had a strike on a swimbait that shook off before I could land it. I don't have any idea what I'm doing so I was actually pretty happy with that.

Lots of weeds and it was fairly windy that day also.

Next free afternoon I get I want to go back, walk around to the other side and get closer to the water. I'd love any tips or pointers anybody has as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum