Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place?

Posted By: Patrick Fishman

Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/24/20 03:24 PM

With more and more local County residents ordered to stay home as new shelter-in-place rules are put in place. Can we still go out fishing with social distancing?
Posted By: fishinagain

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/24/20 03:54 PM

Not sure, but if you can go for a run or walk the dog you should be good. Just watch out if you start catching.... someone is bound to try to fish right next to you fish
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/24/20 04:17 PM

Outdoor activity is encouraged.

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/24/20 05:04 PM

banana fish
Posted By: joshuawm83

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/24/20 09:10 PM

https://tx-rowlett2.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/20743/COR-Amended-Order-3-23-20

Section 3 > Subsection A > #3

You're good just stay 6 feet away. Potlickers beware: if you get within 6 feet of me, I'm not taking any chances, your [censored] is getting shoved in the water.
Posted By: Bassman_78

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/25/20 05:02 AM

Do it. Even if they say you can’t. Break the law. Be a rebel. If you’re by yourself, F them. No spread. Just say you’re going to get groceries. If the same cop stops you on the way back and there’s no groceries, say you just finished a run.

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/25/20 02:24 PM

Good call! thumb
Posted By: bengo

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/25/20 04:12 PM

Bell county

Essential businesses include healthcare, grocery stores; farmers’ markets; food banks; convenience stores; liquor stores; farming; livestock; fishing; social services; newspapers; television stations; radio stations; other media outlets; gas stations; auto supply; auto repair; banks and financial; hardware and construction supply; plumbers; electricians; exterminators; mailing and shipping services; laundromats; dry cleaners; restaurants (drive-thru or takeout); food trucks; businesses that sell products needed by those working from home; businesses that ship or deliver groceries; food products or services directly to homes; airlines; taxis; private transportation services; home-based care for seniors; adults of children; residential facilities and shelters for seniors; adults and children; professional services such as law offices; accounting firms; insurance and real estate; childcare facilities (under specified conditions); utilities; telecommunication; trash collection; law enforcement; EMS and paramedics; animal shelters; janitorial and maintenance services; funeral homes and providers; defense; space and technology; technology support; and scientific research.

Essential activities include travel related to health care or health care for pets; picking up supplies needed to work from home; making purchases at a grocery store (one person per family); picking up food at a restaurant; caring for a family member or pet in another household; and outdoor activities such as running; biking or walking.
Posted By: Bass Junkie

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/25/20 07:32 PM

Look at your county's order. Harris county does give fishing as an example of an outdoor activity that can be done but needs to still have social distancing of at least 6 feet and avoid touching public things like benches or railings.
Posted By: Jaybonnett

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/25/20 09:41 PM

I talked to our Constable last night, outdoor activities such as walking, exercise, and yes fishing is encouraged. Just make a point to keep distance between others.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/26/20 02:54 AM

Common since and good judgement goes a long way! thumb
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/26/20 10:37 AM

What the Banker said
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/26/20 03:04 PM

Fishinagain had the best one. If you start catching, then a crowd shows up... busted roflmao
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/26/20 05:08 PM

Here's my thoughts about the Denton County order: https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...nion-for-whatever-its-worth#Post13486834

Took the kids shoreline fishing at Lewisville after dinner yesterday. They spent over an hour catching small spotted bass & were happy as could be (I can't post photos of them until the adoption is complete).
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/26/20 05:12 PM

A lot more kids are out fishing in my neighborhood. It went from 1-2 kids normally to 20. I usually fish for a few hours in the evening.
Posted By: Yellow_Cloud

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/26/20 07:01 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I watched the announcement video and got a wrong impression that entertainment is not essential. I now declare bass is an essential fish, no longer game fish smile
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/26/20 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Yellow_Cloud
Thanks for the clarification. I watched the announcement video and got a wrong impression that entertainment is not essential. I now declare bass is an essential fish, no longer game fish smile

Bass fishing is only essential if you have the fish on a stringer or take a filet knife to them.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/26/20 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by rcjoutdoors
A lot more kids are out fishing in my neighborhood. It went from 1-2 kids normally to 20. I usually fish for a few hours in the evening.

Every few weekends I see a new group of teens fishing my normal local ponds. It's good to see them enjoying the parks.
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/29/20 07:51 AM

No fishing in Bell & McLenon counties, That effectively closes Lake Waco, Belton, Mother Neff, & Stillhouse for bank fishing. Colorado Bend is closed until further notice. So are the small lakes on Fort Hood. Who are these mental giants that think I have to be protected from myself. I have been on this world for 60 years and have done a pretty damn good job of protecting myself over the years, heck even in combat. What the hell is so dangerous about sitting alone in a lawn chair, with Pink Floyd on the headphones, a couple of poles in front of me, and a Diet Coke in my hand? Can someone please recommend a spot to drop a line within an hour or so of the Fort hood area? I have an awful case of cabin fever. I Was stuck in the house post op for 6 weeks then this BS virus came along..... I can't make it much longer. I have been casting from my gazebo out back while pretending it's a fishing pier. I'm also getting really good with my new 10' cast net. All my reels are cleaned, lubed, and have new line. I cleaned, loaded, and organized my tackle boxes and replaced dried out rubber stuff, polished too many spinner blades, built a beach/bank fishing wagon. Heck I even sharpened my filet knife. I don't think I have ever been Sooooooooo ready to go fishing.....

Drown a minnow for those of us who can't. Best wishes and health to all of you.
Posted By: rbadley

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/29/20 08:37 AM

Where did you hear that we can’t fish in McLennan County? Haven’t heard that said yet.
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/29/20 04:31 PM

My next door neighbor said that he had planned a trip up to Waco to fish the Brazos and he was told not to bother since McLennan County had stopped folks from fishing. If this information is incorrect I sincerely apologize. The information about Colorado Bend and the rest came from the TPWD, State Parks, and Fort Hood official websites. After seeing all of the other closures, what I was told about McLennan county sounded credible. If the info is wrong, please let me know so I can pass it on to my neighbor.

Thank you rbadley.
Posted By: bengo

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 03/31/20 03:08 AM

KWTX today's news:

Yes, you can still go fishing!!
Posted By: FishHarder

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 04/04/20 12:39 AM

Anyone comes up on you and won't respect your space just start coughing. Then say you just had to get out of the house covid or no covid. Bet that'll get 'em away from you.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Fishing during COVID-19 shelter-in-place? - 04/04/20 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by FishHarder
Anyone comes up on you and won't respect your space just start coughing. Then say you just had to get out of the house covid or no covid. Bet that'll get 'em away from you.

eeks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum