Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Medina/San Antonio area bank fishing?

Posted By: Ruark

Lake Medina/San Antonio area bank fishing? - 12/18/18 11:55 PM

We just moved down here to the San Antonio area. I used to fish all over the place, including offshore, in my Robalo center console boat, but I sold it and now I'm boatless in my old age. But I'm not above going back to my ancient pastime of bank fishing. I was just wondering if there were any good, quiet spots at Lake Medina where you can bank fish, or some other lake in the San Antonio area. We live just on the edge of town, just off i 10, in NW San Antonio. Usually I just cast out some blood punch bait with a spoon sinker. Sometimes I'll punch holes in a can of sardines and throw it out near the bait for an attractant. Caught a bunch of channels that way back in the day.

Can anybody give me a pointer? I've never been NEAR any of the local lakes, have no idea where to go.

Thanks, keep yer hook in the water.

Ruark
Posted By: jsinn01

Re: Lake Medina/San Antonio area bank fishing? - 12/19/18 09:49 PM

welcome Welcome to the forum, Ruark

I lived in San Antonio for three years so here are a few spots I would try.

Guadalupe River State Park - Very scenic bank fishing along the Guadalupe River. Species, bass, panfish, & catfish

Lake Calaveras - Power plant lake so not very scenic, but very bank fishing friendly. Good for catfish and even a few redfish

Choke Canyon State Park - Bit of a drive, but best bet for catching fish in my opinion. Good for bass and blue cats.

Canyon Lake - There are a few spots along the main lake for crappie or you can fish below the dam for trout.

Hope this helps.

Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Lake Medina/San Antonio area bank fishing? - 12/20/18 06:10 PM

First, welcome to the forum.

2nd: Be careful throwing out cans in to the water unless you can retrieve them. That is littering.

3rd: If you do not have a cast net, go to the Asian market and buy a carp. Use it as cut bait on Boerne Lake. You can thank me later.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum