Texas Fishing Forum

Hickory Creek in Denton

Posted By: jal0315

Hickory Creek in Denton - 07/09/18 09:50 PM

Has anyone fished this creek? I've tried a couple times and have never seemed to have much luck.
Posted By: Top_Water_Man

Re: Hickory Creek in Denton - 07/10/18 12:08 AM

I normally fish there in Winter for crappie and Spring for Sandbass/Hybrids.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Hickory Creek in Denton - 07/10/18 05:24 PM

Super dirty creek for the most part, very difficult to catch largemouth regularly. Can catch plenty of catfish though.

Eric
Posted By: forcefeedingfish

Re: Hickory Creek in Denton - 07/11/18 02:14 PM

^^^^ Eritt is spot on, especially near the Alton Bridge or 2499 area. If you can go further upstream, near Country Club Road/Hickory Creek area the water is much clearer and I've had some success catching so largemouth on small lures.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Hickory Creek in Denton - 07/11/18 11:41 PM

Try it in the Spring for crappie, whites and hybrids (and a few cats and bass).
Posted By: Dyermaker504

Re: Hickory Creek in Denton - 08/02/18 01:49 AM

I tried like hell to pull some sandbass out of there this spawn, but I started in March and maybe was a little late. Still, I didn't catch anything. Haven't targeted cats though. I tried around Alton Bridge down to a couple miles, but this time of year you might have have better luck off some points off LL. I'm new to hickory creek though, so maybe I was doing something wrong. I heard when the utilities dammed up HC north of Old Alton it messed things up bc the fish can't get past. Maybe they started spawning more up towards 380.
Posted By: MeatHauler

Re: Hickory Creek in Denton - 08/02/18 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Dyermaker504
I tried like hell to pull some sandbass out of there this spawn, but I started in March and maybe was a little late. Still, I didn't catch anything. Haven't targeted cats though. I tried around Alton Bridge down to a couple miles, but this time of year you might have have better luck off some points off LL. I'm new to hickory creek though, so maybe I was doing something wrong. I heard when the utilities dammed up HC north of Old Alton it messed things up bc the fish can't get past. Maybe they started spawning more up towards 380.

If you're fishing Hickory for whites, you need to be going WAY upstream from Old Alton. You need to be looking for rocky and gravel bottoms, not the muddier part of the creek closer to the lake. There's nothing preventing fish from going way upstream.
Posted By: forcefeedingfish

Re: Hickory Creek in Denton - 08/07/18 02:45 PM

Next spring send me a message and we can meet up out there a few mornings and I'll show you a few spots I have had success in the past with whites and crappie.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum