Texas Fishing Forum

Tawakoni State Park

Posted By: GunGuy

Tawakoni State Park - 05/16/18 01:39 PM

Our Boy Scout Troop is headed to Tawakoni State Park this weekend. Anyone have some helpful suggestions as to where or what to fish with to get the boys to catch something they can clean and eat. Going to try and get some of the boys to try and finish up their fishing merit badge and hopefully get dinner instead of them eating hotdogs or something again.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Tawakoni State Park - 05/16/18 04:34 PM

I'd catfish. Twok is a great catfish lake, I don't personally fish it but I did a google map on it and there is a point that might be good for either a north or a south wind MAP

If you're able to get some shad that would be a great bait to use.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Tawakoni State Park - 05/16/18 04:41 PM

If you can't get shad, use some minnows and you might catch anything. There's sandbass and hybrids in Twok too.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Tawakoni State Park - 05/16/18 05:22 PM

Bring plastic minnows for shad and anything that smells bad for catfish.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Tawakoni State Park - 05/16/18 05:23 PM

Shad.I mean sandbass.
The plaSTIC MINNOWS are the shad

Re: Tawakoni State Park - 05/16/18 05:42 PM

Thank You for the info especially the map. I was planning on throwing my cast net at the boat ramp about daylight to see if I can get shad or some perch for bait.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Tawakoni State Park - 05/16/18 08:07 PM

Shad have been spawning so they are right on the bank in the mornings by the thousands. Last weekend while fishing largemouth we couldn't keep the sandbass off our spinnerbaits in 2ft of water or less. Weird for them to be that shallow, but I guess they just followed the shad to the banks. Dont hesitate to have the kids that can cast throw a small white spinnerbait in the morning until the sun gets up in the sky, should get you some bites from either the largemouth or sandbass. Something like an H&H or Limit Getter are perfect.... of course the plan to fish with live shad will always work. Good luck!

Re: Tawakoni State Park - 05/23/18 03:46 PM

Thank you everyone. I didn't get to fish but some of the boys did. I loaned out all the rods I brought with me and my cast net. The boys and the adult leader that went with them told me there was someone on the bank with 8 rods out and they tried to find another place to fish but kept getting hung up. I had to stay at camp and take care of the ones that didn't want to go. Had planned on trying it myself on Sunday morning but due to the dogs in the next camp site that barked all night and a new scout that barfed (6 bowls of ice cream and then 5 hotdogs and a liter of orange fanta and the heat didn't sit well) all night I didn't make it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum