Texas Fishing Forum

Need help with a catfishing rig

Posted By: bugle lips

Need help with a catfishing rig - 04/22/18 10:16 PM

Hey all i got invited yesterday to do some catfishing on the Guadalupe river, Believe it or not I've never done any river fishing before at least not for catfish. I normally use the old tried and true "fish finder" rig with a barrel swivel and egg sinker. I have to assume that there will some kind of current as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!
Posted By: Wacmtracm

Re: Need help with a catfishing rig - 04/23/18 01:09 AM

Id start there. if the current is really strong you'll keep getting hung up or it'll twist up real bad. Try starting at the end of the line...a sinker 15inches of lighter line to a swivel. At the top of the swivel tie a 8inch leader to a hook. Also at the top of the swivel tie your line to the reel.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Need help with a catfishing rig - 04/23/18 04:38 PM

What he said. That three way rig should work, I would suggest a very heavy weight depending on the current. If it's strong go with a 2-3 oz weight.
Posted By: Duckcreek Davy

Re: Need help with a catfishing rig - 04/25/18 04:52 AM

Fish the calm spots around sunken logs and such with live bream. That river is full of huge flatheads.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Need help with a catfishing rig - 04/26/18 02:41 PM

The only change I would make to your rig is to use a flat sinker rather than an egg sinker. That way it doesn't roll in the current. And use a heavier sinker if the current is strong.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Need help with a catfishing rig - 04/26/18 03:05 PM

Those pyramid weights are pretty good about not rolling in a current as well.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Need help with a catfishing rig - 04/26/18 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: SoonerDG
The only change I would make to your rig is to use a flat sinker rather than an egg sinker. That way it doesn't roll in the current. And use a heavier sinker if the current is strong.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum