Texas Fishing Forum

New to Texoma

Posted By: Texas is great

New to Texoma - 03/11/18 03:26 PM

I'm thinking about fishing Texoma for the first time. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me a general area where to fish for Stripers this time of year. Also crappie or smallmouth if possible. Thanks, Tom K
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: New to Texoma - 03/11/18 03:31 PM

Try below the dam... tandem tied crappie jigs w/ 1/2 oz bell weight tied about 18” below. Cast up stream (11oclock) and steady reel and bounce back to you will usually work.. this is how I set my kids up and it is pretty effective! welcome
Posted By: Gann434

Re: New to Texoma - 03/11/18 03:49 PM

I use to fish Big Mineral for crappie and generally did pretty well on minnows. Try to get on a slip and drop straight down and reel up 2-3 cranks and just let it sit. If you can't get on a slip then your best best at Big Mineral is to use a slip bobber and cast out towards the slips and hope for the best.
Posted By: Drew86

Re: New to Texoma - 03/13/18 03:08 AM

Right where the two rivers come together. Big flat there that always holds fish. They were on the bottom a few weeks ago when we were there. Throw a rigs and let them sink! Hell just look for all the guide boats
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: New to Texoma - 03/13/18 03:54 AM

welcome To the TFF! Hope to see more of your post! cheers

Re: New to Texoma - 03/13/18 01:58 PM

Thanks Ledeez, I appreciate it. Tom

Re: New to Texoma - 03/13/18 02:00 PM

Thanks Drew. I appreciate the information.

Re: New to Texoma - 03/13/18 02:02 PM

Thanks Gann434 I appreciate the information. I'm confused though. When you say "slip" are you talking where boats park overnight on the water? I found Mineral Springs and did catch 2 crappie yesterday.
Posted By: FS0897

Re: New to Texoma - 03/13/18 06:53 PM

I fish Texoma frequently. Something I don't see mentioned are the different licensing needed which is confusing as it is considered border water. If you are below the dam on the Texas side you need a Texas fishing license or if you are fishing on the Oklahoma side you need an OK fishing license. If you are fishing on the Texas side in the lake you need a Texoma license. But the Texoma license is good for the whole lake. Just to make it more confusing if you are fishing at Eisenhower State Park it is free as long as you are bank fishing. If you happen to have a Texas Park Pass you get in to the park for free. I think it is 5.00 per person otherwise.

In the state park you can access the backs of boat slips or docks. I have done really well over the years. You have access to sand, rocks and some mud bottom areas in addition to the dock structures. Plus it is the water is clearer a good part of the time. You have a decent shot at crappie, bluegill, largemouth bass plus you can try hooking into cats and smallmouth bass. Striper are always a possibility as well.

Good luck!!
Posted By: MeatHauler

Re: New to Texoma - 03/13/18 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: FS0897
I fish Texoma frequently. Something I don't see mentioned are the different licensing needed which is confusing as it is considered border water. If you are below the dam on the Texas side you need a Texas fishing license or if you are fishing on the Oklahoma side you need an OK fishing license. If you are fishing on the Texas side in the lake you need a Texoma license. But the Texoma license is good for the whole lake. Just to make it more confusing if you are fishing at Eisenhower State Park it is free as long as you are bank fishing. If you happen to have a Texas Park Pass you get in to the park for free. I think it is 5.00 per person otherwise.

In the state park you can access the backs of boat slips or docks. I have done really well over the years. You have access to sand, rocks and some mud bottom areas in addition to the dock structures. Plus it is the water is clearer a good part of the time. You have a decent shot at crappie, bluegill, largemouth bass plus you can try hooking into cats and smallmouth bass. Striper are always a possibility as well.

Good luck!!

You don't need a Texoma license to fish from the Texas side of the lake from the bank. A Texas license will do. It's only when you are on a boat and cross the river channel that you would either need a Texoma license, or an Oklahoma license. A Texoma license is simply an inexpensive way to fish the entire lake without having to have both a Texas and Oklahoma license.

A Texas license will do below the Dam, but only to Shawnee Creek. After that point, you are supposed to have an Oklahoma license to fish the river, even if you are standing in Texas. Oklahoma wardens WILL fine you, and they MAY even take you in until you pay it...that's happened.
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: New to Texoma - 03/15/18 02:17 AM

welcome to the forum
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum