Texas Fishing Forum

Granger lake sand bass up river

Posted By: ttllhh

Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/02/18 08:37 PM

Any info at all where baits/lures color or more
Posted By: jsinn01

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/02/18 09:25 PM

Sounds like they've been catching on and off since late January.

http://www.austinbassfishing.com/forum/b...iver-steps.html
Posted By: catchnrelease

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/05/18 09:42 PM

I was there Sunday 3-4-18. I was skunked. My wife caught 2 keepers and two dinks. I didn’t see many people with any fish. I was told the spawn could be done? No Way? I hope not
Posted By: jsinn01

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/06/18 06:18 PM

Thanks for the report, catchnrelease. I've never had much luck with that place. Just kind of gave up going there.
Posted By: Woj

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/07/18 01:29 AM

I'm actually beginning to wonder. I saw big stringers in late January, and off and on in Feb. I went today in a yak, from the primitive launch all the way up to the steps. I caught 6 total, 4 little ones thrown back, and 2 keeper females over 12".... SPAWNED OUT! I didn't catch two fish in any one place.
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/07/18 07:00 PM

fished all morning, not a single bite. DONE with the white bass frenzy on Granger!!!! Time to start crappie fishing.
Posted By: fishytx

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/08/18 03:18 PM

I caught a bunch Tuesday and took them home to fry up and the females egg sack are almost read for the spawn. These fish will spawn for the next two months. Water temp and flow has everything to do with these fish as to when and where they will spawn. That's why you see this hit or miss thing going on with anglers. After we have had several back to back sixty degree nights, the water will warm up enough to trigger fish to swim up into the shallows to spawn.
I think the best bite is still to come. It has slowed down from last week when the water temp was warmer, but we have some nice warm weather coming again. My rule of thumb is to keep on catching these fish till the first of April. I might even continue to fish during the first week of April if they are still in there thick.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/08/18 03:19 PM

I'll probably be out there this afternoon looking for a few as well. Got see how the day does first, I have several things that have to get done.
Posted By: bengo

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/09/18 03:51 PM

Any new update? planing to come this afternoon. Thanks!!

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/09/18 05:38 PM

No, I got tied up and never made it that way. Maybe this afternoon, that’s the plan anyway.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/10/18 01:29 AM

Arrived around 1 pm, fishing 1.5 hours, had try different spots, only caught a small white. Saw 2 or 3 people caught fish. one have 5 whites.
Posted By: NightStalker79

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/10/18 01:37 AM

Timing is weird. Fished San Gabrial Wed 10 to 12 and left with 6 keepers. Threw back 7 dinks. I even SAW a couple in shallow water, moving between pools. Today fished at dawn. Zip, nothing, not a nibble.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/10/18 04:05 AM

I had two hours to fish this afternoon so I took what I could get. I went straight to a spot where I was on them good Tuesday, but it was dead as dead can be today. I thought to myself uh-oh, this going to be a waist of time. So I hit a few other spots and found one hanging in a deep pocket. Now I'm getting desperate and panic mode begins to kick in gear.
( You know how it is when time is running out and you only have one to show for or to talk about, panic kicks in. ) Any how, I made one more desperate move as the sun was almost down, also changed jig color and started catching fish. Fished into the night a little with 8 more whites to talk about. No size, no pattern, just a desperate angler pulling out all the ropes in hope to catching a few under size fish. LOL It was still fun though. At least I know where the fish are not at and this will help me decide where to go tomorrow.
PS: Spring break is in full swing, be nice to others as they swamp the rivers, creeks and lakes for the next seven days. They just want to get out and enjoy the outdoors just like we do.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/12/18 08:30 PM

After catching mega whites over on Somerville creeks, I have a hard time going back over to the steps to catch a bunch of under size fish.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/17/18 01:07 AM

Any new reports for the steps? Come on guys, share your experience out there to help others stay away or to come on out.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/18/18 09:08 PM

And leave more trash..
Posted By: Heath419

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/19/18 09:52 PM

I would recommend trying the steps in the next couple days. The inch or so rain that came through Saturday night has muddied up the water a bit, which in my opinion should help. Last year in Willis, after a rain, it was ridiculous. That is my 2cents

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/20/18 08:41 PM

Heath419, I hear ya. Muddy or cloudy water after a rain always gets the spawn going better. It brings them up into the shallow water.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/21/18 02:06 AM

So a couple of friends and I hit the water looking for a good bite. First stretch was a bust, moved down stream and found a honey hole. Between the three of us we caught around seventy whites with a few crappie to boot. Now for the results. Most of them were 10 to 10-1/2 inches. My buddies only kept fish 11 inches or better and they hauled out about twenty. Me, I threw everything back in, I didn't feel like hauling a stringer around. That rain stained the water and brought a few fish upstream. That was a fun 2-1/2 hour fishing trip.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/22/18 02:18 AM

It's crazy how much things can change in twenty four hours. I caught 38 and my buddy who normally catches the same as I only caught nine this afternoon. The fish were smaller as well, guess they are moving back towards the lake because the further downstream we went, the more fish we found. The honey hole from yesterday was dead, but I found a place that held a few downstream.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/23/18 06:09 PM

I know 47 whites sounds good to most folks, but when you consider only about a dozen of those where worth taking home, then you know the spawn is almost over. Mot real sure if I'll be going back again.
Posted By: NightStalker79

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/26/18 02:52 AM

Got 6, but only 3 keepers on Thursday 22 March in 2 hours. 1/8 oz white roadrunners. I think the best is still to come. A few honey-holes hold most of the fish, they are highly concentrated.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 03/30/18 03:23 PM

Drove by the river yesterday and there is a good flow of muddy water. Is it fishable? Good question because I did not go down the steps to see how high the water was, but it isn't as high as you would thing, it is not flooded, just flowing strong. Lake Georgetown and Granger will hold their water to prevent flooding way downstream just like they were designed to do, so look for a strong flow with the weeks to come. As the rivers downstream recede then Georgetown and Granger will begin to open their gates and let some water out so they can be ready for the next rain that arrives. These two lakes were built for flood control.

Re: Granger lake sand bass up river - 04/02/18 02:56 AM

I can say this was a fun year for me. I caught good numbers in four different locations of streams feeding into lakes. When one was slow, I could go fish another. That made for a great five weeks of fishing. Time to retire the ultra light tackle and move on to black bass fishing for the rest of the year.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum