Texas Fishing Forum

Gear necessary for bank fishing

Posted By: fray

Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/11/18 12:37 PM

What gear do you consider necessary for safe bank fishing trips, considering critters, other folks, etc.? Thanks.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/11/18 01:32 PM

I just take my fishing stuff and a 5 gallon bucket to haul the fish out
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/11/18 05:20 PM

Depends on the situation. A machete comes in real handy if you’re in a wooded area with little foot traffic.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/13/18 04:56 PM

During the summer months when snakes are active, tall rubber boots suit me.

Right now? My fishing gear will suffice.

...------
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/13/18 05:05 PM

I carry some pepper spray in my backpack when walking the creeks. Just incase I run across some pigs (hope it buys me time to get up a tree) or any other kind of critter.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/13/18 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: kodys'papa
I just take my fishing stuff and a 5 gallon bucket to haul the fish out

This, Plus, Water, stringer (keeps fish alive while fishing), snacks, headlamp, and snake medicine.

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/14/18 11:01 AM

thanks for the good info

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/14/18 11:49 AM

Yep, use a good 5 gallon bucket, not a rotted one..please do not use one from Home Depot...if I see one of those HOMER buckets, you will not hear the end of it...everything I say will start with “Hey Homer”... roflmao

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/14/18 12:20 PM

Typically, fish and critters are your only worry while bank fishing...never had to worry about other bank fishermen...basically, the people you meet on the creek are there for the same reason as you, to fish. If you are apprehensive when you see someone, keep the talk on fishing until you get a sense of their personality and let the conversation develop on its own...be helpful, if you can...make the Creek a better place to be. I have met many good people on the creek, shared baits, fishing spots, snacks, water, assistance. Can’t recall ever meeting anyone that would concern me, ever...I may meet such a person one of these days, but I doubt it. Typically, bad people don’t have the time or desire to be walking a creek bank trying to catch a mess of fish.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/14/18 03:18 PM

The only negative encounters I've had were with a few Bass fishermen who thought we were in a competition.

Most others became friends.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/14/18 03:31 PM

Some people wear cleats for getting up and down banks. There is a creek I go to that I bring a rope, I usually tie it around my waist, slide down the bank, and use it to climb back up. I do wear snake boots or rubber boots depending on the situation.

Some places can be a little shady so I usually have a .40 on my hip to deal with snakes, hogs, or the two legged boogie men meth head pot growers.

That and a box of tackle and you're gtg.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/14/18 05:20 PM

Normally 2-3 rod/reel combos and a Plano tackle fanny type belt that fits around my waist. I normally wear rubber boots as well unless I plan on fully wading.
Posted By: TXfisherman12

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/14/18 06:51 PM

I usually wear boots and pants, even when it is scorching hot outside. IF possible I try to avoid walking through 'snaky' looking brush, weeds, grass, etc, and keep my eyes peeled below. In all my years of fishing, just about every snake I have ever encountered has high-tailed out of there when I approach it not knowing a snake was there. I know some people have bad experiences with venomous snakes, but that is not my case. Nonetheless I still have a fear of snakes.

In my opinion, one of the greatest risks of injury while bank fishing is falls, such as from slippery banks and when walking off the trail to find a new spot. Also walking over rocks when your boots are wet and especially when the rocks are wet too. I bring plenty of water during the hotter days to stay hydrated and pack snacks. My 'tackle box' is actually a backpack I bought over 15 yrs ago at a hiking store. It is still going strong and big enough to pack gear and water and snacks.

The large majority of people I encounter on the banks are fishermen just like me. Once in a while I encounter someone who I rather not meet, but I still try to say hi and be friendly, then keep my distance.
Posted By: DNA

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/14/18 08:51 PM

How about Walmart bucket?? banana

Originally Posted By: crapicat
Yep, use a good 5 gallon bucket, not a rotted one..please do not use one from Home Depot...if I see one of those HOMER buckets, you will not hear the end of it...everything I say will start with “Hey Homer”... roflmao

Posted By: DNA

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/16/18 07:40 PM

A pair of high quality boots is must-have for me.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/16/18 10:59 PM

A dove bucket is the best thing going. You can carry tackle, drinks, a place to sit, and you can swivel around real quick if you here something sneaking up behind you.

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/17/18 02:19 PM

Thanks again everyone, learned some cool ideas. Now just to get out there

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/17/18 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: fray
Thanks again everyone, learned some cool ideas. Now just to get out there

You are most welcome...i consider snake medicine, at a minimum, a .22 magnum with rat shot in the first three cylinders and hollow points in the other three (and a couple extra cylinder reloads, in case things get tough.). If anyone is opposed to toting a pistol, a good strong beaver chewed stick, is the second best option...IMO

FYI, Thursday, I hit the creek bank to check out some favorite holes...ran across a couple snakes out on the bank...so just be careful out there...
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Gear necessary for bank fishing - 02/17/18 10:03 PM

Travel light when fishing the creeks. I carry one of sons old backpacks. I keep a stringer, needle nose pliers, a small folding landing net, small tackle box, pocket knife, 30ft rope. I seldom sit still at one spot so I only carry one rod and nothing to sit on. Some of the most important equipment is a pair of polarized sun glasses so you can read the creek. I wear cleats at Rowlett creek (very step banks) and tennis shoes are boats on the Lewisville creeks (banks not very steep). Extra gear really starts to wear on you if you do alot of walking. I try to carry as little as possible.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum