Texas Fishing Forum

Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018

Posted By: DaddyWilsonofDenton

Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/04/18 10:15 PM

Starting a new thread for all interested to track the start and progress of the run this year.
Posted By: RYBO

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/05/18 04:39 AM

It’d be in your best interest to delete this post unless you want to flood your creek with every novice angler in DFW.
Posted By: Coffeebreak

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/05/18 09:41 PM

Creek X has been hidden for many and few years ago someone posted on Facebook about location and now the banks are now like dumping station
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/06/18 01:12 AM

I hate to be negative but these guys kind of have a Point.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/06/18 01:48 AM

All one has to do is take a short trip to rowlett creek to see the effects of everyone and their mother knowing about a spot. Place looks like people use it as a trash dump.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/06/18 01:49 AM

Not to mention that once the poachers find out they’ll cast net your creek clean at night
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/06/18 03:26 AM

True..
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/07/18 03:39 PM

Will the sandies run up smaller creeks on Lewisville?

I mean everyone know hickory its the big one but what about the smaller lesser know creeks?

Some might just be 4-5 feet wide

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/07/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

I mean everyone know hickory its the big one but what about the smaller lesser know creeks?

sandies only run up hickory and the elm fork on lewisville
Posted By: MeatHauler

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/07/18 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

rolleyes
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/07/18 08:04 PM

At Hubbard you get these big pushes up Rowlett, and up the river if Lavon is releasing... If Lavon is releasing heavy you get even more fish running up. With creeks the more total flow (AKA biggest creeks/rivers) draw in the fish.

FYI sandies also can spawn on windy gravel shores (how do you think some ponds can have a population of sand bass...) On a massive lake like Lewisville a fish in the fat middle of the lake isn't going to feel a creek current, all the water moving is from the wind and/or from water releasing from the dam. Right location is key but you can find and catch fish around wind swept gravel/sand shores and points. Won't find a darn other person near you fishing for them either!

Eric
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/07/18 10:09 PM

Liar!! I have never seen a white on the elm fork. Too many log jams blocking the way.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/07/18 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: JJ4MEL

Liar!! I have never seen a white on the elm fork. Too many log jams blocking the way.
sandies can push through some nasty stuff, I’ve seen it, but on off years or low water years they only go up hickory, nowhere else for these sandies to run up on lewisville.
Posted By: Coffeebreak

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/08/18 12:54 AM

Lake Lewisville have more than seven good feeder creeks and during the spawn time most of the creeks has Crappie and Sandies. Atleast caught from five of them in the past and I don’t want to name it

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/08/18 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Coffeebreak
Lake Lewisville have more than seven good feeder creeks and during the spawn time most of the creeks has Crappie and Sandies. Atleast caught from five of them in the past and I don’t want to name it
ive scouted and checked out almost every creek in Dfw from back in my guide days, There is only one creek on lewisville Worth fishing and it’s hickory

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/08/18 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Coffeebreak
What about [redacted]

LOL. He should have just said nothing instead of lying.
Posted By: stretch

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/08/18 02:37 AM

Everyone run to hickory, it needs more trash along the banks and in the parking lot.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/08/18 03:36 AM

Sounds like some somescreen! noidea
Posted By: iluvfishin

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/08/18 12:04 PM

Theres a bunch of other creeks in Lewisville that sandies run up in not just Hickory.
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/08/18 05:54 PM

Yeah "Praline" creek sucks. No whitebass there... go to Hickory instead.

This guy MCkinney is so full of [censored]...and I don't even know why. It's not a secret anymore.. popcorn2
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/08/18 06:04 PM

Pecan Creek is a good creek also!
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/08/18 08:07 PM

Ive caught fish in a half dozen of the feeder creeks/river but personally i only focus on two of them these days. i usually only mess with what I can get my boat in nowadays...hint hint.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/09/18 03:11 AM

If it’s flowing... they going
Posted By: FishnDenton

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/09/18 04:25 AM

Creek x is not hickory and last year hickory wasn't worth a darn. If we don't get some rain you can forget about any creek off of Lewisville. That's been my experience for the last 20 years growing up around there. As far as elm fork, if ray Roberts doesn't open the spillway forget about it also.
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/09/18 06:13 PM

creek X! creek X! creek X!
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/09/18 06:14 PM

I totally agree!
Originally Posted By: RYBO
It’d be in your best interest to delete this post unless you want to flood your creek with every novice angler in DFW.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/10/18 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: moonriver
creek X! creek X! creek X!

Creek Y can be very good for larger fish but watch out for the poison Yvy.
Posted By: DNA

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/10/18 10:16 PM

I tried fishing over there last week and got one white bass only.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/10/18 10:20 PM

I also saw a lot of boat fishing around.
Posted By: Palomar Knot

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/11/18 12:58 AM

I've never been to Hickory Creek before (only been at Rowlett around mid April last year). Could someone help me (Private message if you prefer) with some pointers where to park and bank fish along the creek? I'm targeting some white/sand bass, maybe some hybrid if possible smile Thank you

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/11/18 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: DNA
I also saw a lot of boat fishing around.

They are fishing for crappie most likely.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/11/18 02:13 AM

Check Old Alton Bridge on the maps

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/11/18 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: DNA
Check Old Alton Bridge on the maps

I see it now! Is there adequate parking for car? From there should I go upstream or downstream?
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/11/18 05:42 PM

Well, This escalated quickly.... Got people coming from Garland to fish it already and the fish aren't even there.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/11/18 06:20 PM

lol, I want to try different places for a change. For me, it is kinda far away, so I want to get as much info as I could before heading there.
Posted By: FishnDenton

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/13/18 12:17 AM

Last year hickory creek was a bust. The year before was on fire. Only difference, we had rain the year before last.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/13/18 01:54 PM

roflmao HC is a big deep creek. Most people who fish the creek for the first time dont do too well.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/13/18 03:18 PM

There is no enough parking. Usually, I go downstream.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/13/18 03:34 PM

It seems crappy fishing was quite slwo.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/13/18 08:29 PM

Every Lewisville creek was absolutely loaded last year, depending on time and spot.

I will give one secret. This applies to all creeks. Don't listen to [censored] about creeks being too "chocolate milk" to fish. If the water is running they are in there and they want to eat. Don't be a retard and fish a raging 10,000 CFS deluge, but don't wait until some magic water clarity to appear. Hybrids don't give one [censored] about water clarity when you're throwing a big paddle tail.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/13/18 08:30 PM

Web has really destroyed some of the Most scenic and least crowded runs in the metroplex! I would not be near as upset about it if people did two things not keep undersized/to many fish and took their trash with them. I carry a trash bag in my backpack when I go flyfishing and can almost always fill it up walking out. At least a few of the creeks that always seem to have water have not been exposed to bad yet.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/13/18 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert Hunter
Web has really destroyed some of the Most scenic and least crowded runs in the metroplex! I would not be near as upset about it if people did two things not keep undersized/to many fish and took their trash with them. I carry a trash bag in my backpack when I go flyfishing and can almost always fill it up walking out. At least a few of the creeks that always seem to have water have not been exposed to bad yet.

This is the problem with threads like this. People wont pick their trash up and will bring their whole families when the fishing is good and keep their limits (if not more). I'm just glad I fish weekdays.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/13/18 10:03 PM

I quit fishing creeks for this reason. It disturbs me so much to see the harm these people do versus the joy of fishing that I just don't do it any more. I don't understand why a game warden is not at Rowlett creek firewheel checking every one coming out - In the past I saw so many undersized, over limit, no license, cast netters it just made me sick.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/13/18 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveStrasemeier
I quit fishing creeks for this reason. It disturbs me so much to see the harm these people do versus the joy of fishing that I just don't do it any more. I don't understand why a game warden is not at Rowlett creek firewheel checking every one coming out - In the past I saw so many undersized, over limit, no license, cast netters it just made me sick.

No matter how bad it may seem, there are always places to get away from the crowds that have just as much if not more fish. I have learned to go away from the crowds over the years. Too many peaceful creeks to fish rather than fight the ones that are shoulder to shoulder. I agree with Rowlett though. A game warden would have a empty ticket book if there was one out there all spring.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/13/18 10:32 PM

Save up them vacation days, call in sick, do what you have to do. Don't fish weekends if you can avoid it. Most of these problems will be out of sight, out of mind. There's enough fish to go around, even with all the BS you see out there.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/14/18 11:23 PM

I remember a few years ago during the run I was driving by the Old Alton Bridge and noticed three game warden trucks pulling into the parking area. A wolfpack! No doubt they generated a lot of revenue for the state that day.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/15/18 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Last year run, I was at Rowlett and was checked by the warden twice. both during the week day and weekend. They are there, just need to be more frequent, I suppose. As far as undersize fish, that's why I bought and will bring along my hog trough, plus small fish are just too small to clean and pick out a little fillet...imo
Trash... it's been said enough, i guess. I, too, would try to bring back as much as I could. Sometimes, trash are also washed up from flood, ect...

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/16/18 07:38 PM

any update?? Thanks.
Posted By: Kayak-Hooligan

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/17/18 12:09 AM

Don't know if you don't go, just saying popcorn

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/17/18 02:58 PM

Limits of sandbass, crappie and hybrids were caught.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/17/18 08:23 PM

Big rain last night. That should get things going.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/17/18 10:56 PM

Maybe it's still a little bit early. In March, heavy rain will pull the trigger..

Originally Posted By: CHAMPION FISH
Big rain last night. That should get things going.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/17/18 10:56 PM

I remember most of runs occur in March.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/18/18 12:09 AM

Might get a small wave of fish with the rain, but it’s still early, in all reality the biggest push of fish is always later March with mid April being peak
Posted By: Yecats

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/20/18 07:34 PM

banana

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/21/18 12:11 AM

lake temp 49 degree!

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/23/18 02:25 AM

Let's be honest, HC is already well known. Not giving away a secret location here. Just an easy way to give a heads up when the run starts. People can find their own spots. I got my own. 😁
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/23/18 09:30 PM

Sounds like old Hickory is the place to be.
Posted By: JCG57

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/24/18 02:52 AM

Hickory has stretches that can be good or bad, depending on lake level, water clarity, temps, etc. Just like Pecan, Denton, Henrietta, Elm Fork and all the other creeks in the area. A little too early in the season (and much too muddy water) to catch anything worthwhile in the next few days.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/24/18 06:16 AM

Hickory is your best bet!

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/25/18 06:20 AM

Muddy high water best time for the big fish on any run Just takes real work getting to the spot

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/25/18 06:23 AM

when the water looks like that or worse the best time to be there. By a long shot at that

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/25/18 12:49 PM

If they start releasing water from Ray Roberts then that will be the place to be. All of the extra current will draw all the fish to it.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/26/18 04:39 AM

I can say I've caught plenty of fish in muddy water.

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 02/26/18 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert Hunter
Muddy high water best time for the big fish on any run Just takes real work getting to the spot

Yep.
Posted By: JDavis7873®

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 03/06/18 08:19 PM

A sand bass sent me an email and said the spawn was cancelled.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 03/09/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: JDavis7873®
A sand bass sent me an email and said the spawn was cancelled.

roflmao

Re: Hickory Creek White Bass/Hybrid Run 2018 - 03/21/18 04:20 PM

Fishing is on! Go getcha some!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum