Texas Fishing Forum

Oral Cancer

Posted By: bush hog

Oral Cancer - 08/16/19 02:07 AM

I've never been on this portion of the forum before but just wanted to share my last 3 weeks. I had to have cancer surgery a few weeks ago on my mouth. The surgeon removed a tumor plus 5 teeth, gum, bone and a section of my hard palate (roof of my mouth). I quit chewing tobacco 20 years ago and I can't say for sure if the tobacco was the cause or not.....who knows. But as we all know, tobacco can and will cause cancer. I don't mean for this to be a war story but maybe it might help someone that is thinking about giving up snuff or chewing tobacco. I have learned in the last few weeks that without the hard palate you cannot talk, chew, swallow and drool like a rabid dog. I have to wear a mouth piece now to be able to do what I've done naturally for the last 65 years. Life is all about making choices so if you choose to stay with tobacco then be willing to accept your choice in its entirety. I'll step away from my podium now. Have a great day!
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Oral Cancer - 08/16/19 03:37 AM

angel2
Posted By: BlueNitro

Re: Oral Cancer - 08/16/19 12:48 PM

Sorry to hear that and hope you get to feeling better and heal completely.

I have been on the fence about quitting for many reasons. This will push me to make the effort to quit. Thank you for taking the time to post this.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Oral Cancer - 08/16/19 06:23 PM

Hoping that they got it all Bush Hog and you have no more problems. I have lost 1 coworker and a cousin due to mouth cancer. The both smoked, dipped and chewed most of their life. Also have another coworker that is still surviving (his dentist found the cancer) and had surgery and chemo.
Again best wishes and glad you are still here.

Re: Oral Cancer - 08/17/19 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
Hoping that they got it all Bush Hog and you have no more problems. I have lost 1 coworker and a cousin due to mouth cancer. The both smoked, dipped and chewed most of their life. Also have another coworker that is still surviving (his dentist found the cancer) and had surgery and chemo.
Again best wishes and glad you are still here.

The pathologist report showed that they got all the tumor and doc says I won't need radiation. Luckily it was found early before it found my lymph nodes. When you're young you think that you're bullet proof but when you get a little age on you this stuff comes back to haunt you. Lord willing, I'll still have time to snatch a few more crappie out of the water. Thank you so much for the well wishes.

Re: Oral Cancer - 08/17/19 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by BlueNitro
Sorry to hear that and hope you get to feeling better and heal completely.

I have been on the fence about quitting for many reasons. This will push me to make the effort to quit. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Think about all the extra money you'll have to buy fishing gear! Get off that fence and take care of yourself.....other people depend on you!
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Oral Cancer - 08/17/19 03:30 PM

Bush Hog....... With your permission, I'd like to email your post to my Step-daughter and SIL. A week ago they went to see Robert's ( SIL ) uncle in West Tawakoni. He was said to have 3 months left to live. COPD and Lung Cancer. Some say he smoked 2 packs a day, some said 5. I'm near 73 now. I smoked for a few years but in the Summer of 79' I quit Cold Turkey and Drinking. With the Grace of God and some Will Power I stuck with it till this day. I hope my step daughter and Robert quit....for their sake and my beautiful grandchildren's sake. I hope your thread reaches out to those that do tobacco and give them strength to decide to stop. God Bless and you take care of yourself. Ed.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Oral Cancer - 08/18/19 12:18 AM

Sorry you are going thru this bush hog. For anyone using any tobacco products ask yourself what the first thing you would do it you received a bad diagnosis. I am picking that would be to stop using tobacco. My advice to anyone is stop using tobacco now and hope you never get that type of diagnosis. It is just not worth the possible medical consequences.

Re: Oral Cancer - 08/18/19 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by V-Bottom
Bush Hog....... With your permission, I'd like to email your post to my Step-daughter and SIL. A week ago they went to see Robert's ( SIL ) uncle in West Tawakoni. He was said to have 3 months left to live. COPD and Lung Cancer. Some say he smoked 2 packs a day, some said 5. I'm near 73 now. I smoked for a few years but in the Summer of 79' I quit Cold Turkey and Drinking. With the Grace of God and some Will Power I stuck with it till this day. I hope my step daughter and Robert quit....for their sake and my beautiful grandchildren's sake. I hope your thread reaches out to those that do tobacco and give them strength to decide to stop. God Bless and you take care of yourself. Ed.

Yes, please share and thank you.
Posted By: OTFF

Re: Oral Cancer - 02/22/20 01:35 AM

Glad they got it.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Oral Cancer - 02/24/20 02:25 PM

My long time friend and catfish guide on Richland Chambers, Chris Watson was just diagnosed with mouth cancer. He dipped for over 20 years. He has a tumor the length of his tongue and it is also in his jaw bone. The doctor first told him they would have to remove his tongue and replace it with a muscle out of his arm. They have now decided to try chemo first. If that doesn't give you the desire to quit dipping snuff well good luck, because you will need it. I dipped for a good many years and about six months ago the VA found a spot on my tongue. This was down at the base of my throat. They took a biopsy and it was nothing, but it took a month before I could swallow without pain.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Oral Cancer - 04/11/20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by bush hog
I've never been on this portion of the forum before but just wanted to share my last 3 weeks. I had to have cancer surgery a few weeks ago on my mouth. The surgeon removed a tumor plus 5 teeth, gum, bone and a section of my hard palate (roof of my mouth). I quit chewing tobacco 20 years ago and I can't say for sure if the tobacco was the cause or not.....who knows. But as we all know, tobacco can and will cause cancer. I don't mean for this to be a war story but maybe it might help someone that is thinking about giving up snuff or chewing tobacco. I have learned in the last few weeks that without the hard palate you cannot talk, chew, swallow and drool like a rabid dog. I have to wear a mouth piece now to be able to do what I've done naturally for the last 65 years. Life is all about making choices so if you choose to stay with tobacco then be willing to accept your choice in its entirety. I'll step away from my podium now. Have a great day!

What a story bush hog. I’m glad you’re alive to talk about it.

I’m offering to look at any suspicious areas any TFFers have and you’re concerned about it. I’ve seen more than my fair share of oral cancer and it’s rarely a good outcome.

JB
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Oral Cancer - 04/12/20 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by JacksonBean

I’m offering to look at any suspicious areas any TFFers have and you’re concerned about it. I’ve seen more than my fair share of oral cancer and it’s rarely a good outcome.

JB

That’s a great offer. Dr. Bean, since you’ve seen it a lot, do you think you post a separate thread with the signs, what to look for, pics, etc.? There’s plenty on the internet to look at, but for some reason, when it comes from someone you know and trus, it tends to make more of a difference. Thanks.

Re: Oral Cancer - 04/19/20 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
Originally Posted by JacksonBean

JB

That’s a great offer. Dr. Bean, since you’ve seen it a lot, do you think you post a separate thread with the signs, what to look for, pics, etc.? There’s plenty on the internet to look at, but for some reason, when it comes from someone you know and trus, it tends to make more of a difference. Thanks.

That’s a fantastic idea.

Let me put some stuff together.
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Oral Cancer - 04/20/20 05:00 PM

My dentist does a scan and checks for this once per year not sure how reliable it is but I will continue to let them do it for peace of mind if nothing else.

Re: Oral Cancer - 04/22/20 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hard Rain
My dentist does a scan and checks for this once per year not sure how reliable it is but I will continue to let them do it for peace of mind if nothing else.

I’m guessing he’s using a VELscope which is a fantastic screening tool and let’s you have a conversation about suspicious areas. There’s no reason not to have one today.

Re: Oral Cancer - 06/13/20 04:24 PM

An update....less than a year after my surgery the cancer has returned. I was just released from Baylor Hospital yesterday after having the lymph nodes removed from the right side of my neck. I will have 6 weeks of radiation and possibly chemo depending on the pathologist report. Like I mentioned in my first thread, I don't know if this is a result of my tobacco use or not but statistics show that tobacco does have this type effect on people. If you're still sitting on the fence and cannot decide whether or not to quit I'm pleading with you to lay it down. I currently have no feeling on the right side of my face and look as though I have had a stroke. This is due to nerve damage during the surgery. Swallowing is difficult and painful. I hope my story can help you make the right decision for you and your loved ones. God Bless.
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Oral Cancer - 06/19/20 10:13 PM

Prayers and positive thoughts for you brush hog

Re: Oral Cancer - 06/20/20 12:45 PM

Thank you.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Oral Cancer - 07/10/20 12:58 PM

Biopsy today on a suspicious spot on lower lip.

Re: Oral Cancer - 07/11/20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird

Hoping you get a good report!

Re: Oral Cancer - 07/11/20 04:33 PM

Thanks, awaiting results.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Oral Cancer - 07/16/20 01:48 AM

Prayers sent your way Bush hog. I hope you have a full recovery and back fishing soon.

Re: Oral Cancer - 07/16/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by pop r
Prayers sent your way Bush hog. I hope you have a full recovery and back fishing soon.

Thank you.

Re: Oral Cancer - 07/17/20 12:39 PM

Good news. Results negative. thumb
Posted By: pop r

Re: Oral Cancer - 07/17/20 11:05 PM

That's great news T Bird!

Re: Oral Cancer - 07/18/20 02:25 AM

Good news. Results negative. thumb

Fantastic!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum