Texas Fishing Forum

Sili-Skin

Posted By: Bass Bug

Sili-Skin - 06/30/11 03:43 AM

...an evil material that comes straight from Lucifer himself, that is all
Posted By: rrhyne56

Re: Sili-Skin - 06/30/11 11:48 AM

Somebody you know has been telling you about trying to tie with it perhaps?
Posted By: Bowfin47

Re: Sili-Skin - 06/30/11 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass Bug

Aahhh! but you are far to nice about this spawn of Satan...

Re: Sili-Skin - 06/30/11 04:31 PM

after far too much waste, far too much cussing,these are the result (I had others first, but they aren't suitable for pics), this stuff is soooo sticky stretchyyyy and difficult to handle I will never use it again (not to mention it ain't cheep)

i did eventually figure out a method for handling this stuff that I hadnt read or seen before; cover it with painters tape while cutting and working with it
Posted By: Dave Speer

Re: Sili-Skin - 06/30/11 07:12 PM

Those flies are good looking but I refuse to buy them and I refuse to tie them due to the horror stories laugh
Posted By: derik d

Re: Sili-Skin - 06/30/11 07:46 PM

No Bueno.
Posted By: Txredraider

Re: Sili-Skin - 07/01/11 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Speer
Those flies are good looking but I refuse to buy them and I refuse to tie them due to the horror stories laugh

Do they wait until it's dark, come to life, and murder your family with the help of a one-armed man while framing you as the culprit?

Perhaps they live in and manage a small roadside hotel with their mother, who has really been dead for years and in whose clothes they dress to impersonate her?

Alternatively, they might make threatening phone calls to your babysitter over and over until the police finally figure out that THE CALLS WERE COMING FROM IN THE HOUSE THE WHOLE TIME!!

The few times I've seen them, I was mildly intrigued, right up to the point when I saw what they wanted for them. Apparently, you can buy dispensation if you're a fly angling purist who wants to fish with plastic, but salvation ain't cheap.

Forgive me, fodder...
Posted By: jimdawg

Re: Sili-Skin - 07/02/11 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Bowfin47
Originally Posted By: Bass Bug

Aahhh! but you are far to nice about this spawn of Satan...
Bass Bug, did you use something underneath the Sili-skin? The one's I've seen have foam under the skin. It seems to fill the body out.
Posted By: Brimbum

Re: Sili-Skin - 07/02/11 12:00 PM

The first time I saw anyone tying with this material George struggled with it for about 45 minutes and then put it away and went back to Spinning a deer hair mouse. George had been teaching fy tying for thirty years and as far as I knew he never attempted to tie with that material again.

It is one of the few materials that I was smart enough to have never bought.

I prefer to...Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale
Posted By: pearow

Re: Sili-Skin - 07/02/11 01:26 PM

but they catch fish; excellent schooling bass fly on lake Athens; friend pays $6.95 apiece for them and he catches lots of schoolies; the fish hold onto the fly longer than with a regular fly like a clouser-p-

Re: Sili-Skin - 07/02/11 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: pearow
but they catch fish; excellent schooling bass fly on lake Athens; friend pays $6.95 apiece for them and he catches lots of schoolies; the fish hold onto the fly longer than with a regular fly like a clouser-p-

thats cheaper than the ones I made, I ended up with 2, but they take 3 layers to make and each sheet cost 7 bucks, so I paid over 21 dolla for 2 of them.. I would love to see how the commercial tiers do it, they look far better than what I ended up with,
Posted By: sexycarpenter

Re: Sili-Skin - 07/04/11 02:38 AM

Those look like the one I tied from the package instructions. I got the skin on the clearance rack at cabelas. Looks good
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum