Texas Fishing Forum

A couple of my favorite carp patterns

Posted By: Chris_in_Louisiana

A couple of my favorite carp patterns - 08/15/21 12:46 PM

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share links to a couple of Step-by-Step posts I put together highlighting a few of my favorite carp patterns.

Clouser's Swimming Nymph
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one is a little different than the classic "Drag & Drop" style of carp fly, but it is my absolute favorite. Designed by Bob Clouser for targeting Smallmouth, it is an absolute carp killer. Just lay the fly down just past where a carp is feeding or cruising, and strip it back past the fishes line of sight.

Overall, it has proven to be a great all around pattern, and I've caught common carp, grass carp, spotted gar, largemouth bass and various panfish on it.

Of note, I've started tying these on Gamakatsu SL45 Bonefish hooks after having a few lighter wire options pull free during the fight.

Here's the link:
Clouser's Swimming Nymph: Step-by-Step Tutorial

Primordial Carp Stew
[Linked Image]

This one is a newer pattern to me, but has everything you're looking for in a drag and drop pattern. In fact, It actually saved my butt in a Mixed Bag tournament back in May as an all black version finally tricked a carp after an hour plus of refusals.

Primordial Carp Stew: Step-by-Step Tutorial

In any case, hope these are of interest to a few of you. And let me know what your go-to carp patterns are. I'm always interested in new patterns to test out.

Happy tying!

Chris
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: A couple of my favorite carp patterns - 08/16/21 04:39 AM

What size and style hook? I really like those.
Posted By: Chris_in_Louisiana

Re: A couple of my favorite carp patterns - 08/16/21 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by SteveBob
What size and style hook? I really like those.

I tie both on a Gamakatsu SL45 Bonefish hook (size 8). Hooks with a black finish seem to fare better with carp in my limited experience, and these particular hooks are strong enough to hold up to any larger fish you may hook into. I started using them after having a few hooks pull free/bend out in my early attempts at carp last year.

Also, a Clouser's Swimming Nymph tied a little larger (#6 or #4) works really well for gar as well. Just twitch it by their eye, and they'll almost always snap at the easy meal.

Chris
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: A couple of my favorite carp patterns - 08/16/21 06:26 PM

Cool Thanks thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum