Texas Fishing Forum

Then I tied some more.....

Posted By: SteveBob

Then I tied some more..... - 06/17/21 09:35 AM

A few of my latest cant sleep late night creations.
GREEN FLY
[Linked Image]
BUMBLE MOSQUITO
[Linked Image]
KRAZY ROOSTER
[Linked Image]
KAYTEEEDID
[Linked Image]
VACYACK (vacuum cleaner roller barf)
[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 06/19/21 01:35 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bones72

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 06/19/21 12:17 PM

Take them things to a creek. The bass in the creeks like the Lampasas should be all over em this time of year.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 06/19/21 06:25 PM

Nice flies. hooked

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 06/19/21 08:34 PM

Thanks.... But due to some of my medical issues, prolonged or repeated standing and walking along the creek/river is out for me, I also recently sold the kayak, and my boat is down for some much needed up & or retro grades. Then I'll sell it and wait for the new bigger boats come in by getting on a waiting list. BLAHAAAAA

What's taking so long though is first there was 40 days of rain...... followed immediately by sizzle your skin off like bacon summer heat. Next (wouldn't you know it?) a plague of locusts (cicadae) But the adults called them locusts in the 60s when I was a kid and it stuck. droughts, and fires, Let me stop here before it makes it to politics LOL!!! But the aforementioned happenstances To an average layman would or could have almost seemed biblical in nature... But to your average Texan it's more like "Yawn".... just the beginning of summer. But truthfully I have just been enjoying the AC a bit too much lately LOL!!!! That and tying flies keeps my hands busy and out of trouble.

My latest.... Sunny
[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 06/30/21 01:58 AM

Booby Flies

[Linked Image]

And then there were more

[Linked Image]

And that's it lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/01/21 03:04 PM

Dragonfly

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/02/21 07:07 AM

Nice tying and video. I wish I lived walking distance from a pond or creek to test my creations like that. I hope you don't mind me copying you, but I'm gonna make some knock offs of those myself. But I'm planning on doing some crawfish, frogs, & tadpoles next though.

Things like this frog popper.

[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/03/21 05:14 AM

Well the crawdad looks like a shrimp but the water strider came out ok. Then there is the tadpole, it's a Beaver skin zonker with a foam popper head turned backwards on the hook. To neutralize the buoyancy of the foam head I gave it 13 tight wraps of solder around the hook shaft starting one wrap back from the eye of the hook. Then there is the frog popper.... Foam head, green tinsel lower body, and fluffy marabou for the legs as well as the tail and claws on the crawdad

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/04/21 06:20 AM

I'm not sure what to call it but it swims well and it ought to get some fish's attention. It's weighted to sink fairly fast but the fluffy marabou sort of parachutes it a lil bit.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/04/21 07:05 AM

That's 13 flies in 2 weeks, not bad for someone swore he was going cold turkey on the fly tying habit..... This is worse than quitting cigarettes
Posted By: LastCastPodcast

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/06/21 05:18 PM

nice flies! Are those the "booby flies" which have foam at the head? Do you fish them with sinking line? I tried them a few years ago, never got them to work for me.

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/06/21 05:46 PM

I don't have a lot of experience with booby flies. I have only fished with them once. But I did manage to catch two crappie with a green one. Yes they have the foam head and body. But I use a little lead wire on the hook shank to give them almost neutral buoyancy with floating line (meaning they will sink but very slowly). I tried them with no weight and did not like how they swam.

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/06/21 05:54 PM

A couple of new ones.

][Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/08/21 06:41 AM

Hopper Plopper
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/08/21 03:38 PM

I've been trying to learn but my attempts have been not so good. It is harder than I thought. I'm not giving up though.

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/09/21 12:35 AM

Alan,

I was allowed to join a program through the VA that sent me a fly kit that included one tied fly to use as an example, enough material to tie 12 flies just like the example, a basic fly tying kit (cheap vice and a hand full of tools), and the company "PostFly" provides YouTube videos that show step by step how to tie the exact flies they send you. You can purchase the fly kits online for about $25 a month (one kit a month) from PostFly. I highly recommend them to learn all the basics. That and the materials they send you are very high quality. 13 flies a month for less than $2 a fly is a pretty good price. I have been tying for about 2 years now and have kept all of the materials that were left over from tying the kits (yes they give you more than enough). I now have a 12" x 24" x 8" tub full of all color materials such as feathers, fur, legs, eyes, foam pieces and others In all different colors to tie anything that comes to mind. Also this is not an add for the company and I have no connection to them but for customer loyalty. You can just go to YouTube and search PostFly to get an idea of what I am talking about. Or if you have the materials needed already just follow the videos.

Like this one for the PostFly, the Power Perch fly..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYfU1i4BAoY

I now usually buy my needed materials in bulk on Amazon or eBay for price sake. I just got a box of 160 Aberdeen hooks (my preference in fresh water hooks to tie flys with) in 5 sizes for $11 on Amazon.

I hope this helps and trust me it does get easier.

Steve Bob

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/09/21 05:51 AM

SkunkAngelFish

[Linked Image]

A black, a white, & a brown marabou feather.
White thread.
Aberdeen hook.
3D fish eyes.
UV Resin & ultraviolet flashlight
Black sharpie

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/10/21 06:14 AM

Injured floating baitfish

[Linked Image]

Aberdeen hook
yellow thread
green faux fur
yellow marabou feather
foam popper head (on backwards) with John Deer racing stripes
green rubber legs for whiskers
individual 3D eyes
green, lime green, red, orange, & yellow Sharpies
3 Ice cold Lone Star Longnecks...... Eh maybe 4 LOL!!!

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/11/21 06:02 AM

And then I thought..... Bluegills...... The next thing I know is these are in front of my camera LOL!!!! It was a good hand dexterity day for me and this was the result .

Panfish collection #1 The Woolyjigs.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/13/21 08:54 AM

Hoppers & Poppers
[Linked Image]

Getting Jiggy wit it!!!! LOL!!!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dougfresh

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/14/21 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by SteveBob
Hoppers & Poppers
[Linked Image]

Getting Jiggy wit it!!!! LOL!!!
[Linked Image]

Nice work. I tied some jigs like that and caught a bunch of white bass on em back in April.

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/14/21 03:25 AM

Thank you Doug. These ones in my opinion are a bit small for white bass. Also these ones have 1/32oz jig heads. The package the jigs came in says they are micro jig heads. I stuck one deep in my finger while punching paint out of the hook eyes. I flattened the barb with a pair of needle tweezers to keep from having to push the hook the rest of the way through my finger and nipping it (saved the jig too) lol. Definitely smaller than the picture makes them look.

Once I tie a few more bluegill hoppers and poppers, I'll get some 1/4oz and 1/8oz jig heads and tie some white bass/crappie jigs.

OK Poppers complete.

[Linked Image]

And the hoppers are done.

[Linked Image]

And here are some bugs

[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/16/21 06:01 AM

They are the first flying ant that falls into the river this season thus becoming part of the food chain and then comes the San Francisco Chinese New Years Dragon........ Fly.....

Maybe I should name them "BEFORE" the Lone Star Longnecks kick in...... Next time....... LOL!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/17/21 08:58 AM

Very Wooley Buggers. I was inspired.

[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/18/21 12:00 PM

I have been tying my Texas size version of a nymph I'd say more like grub or maggot (They are all 3 the pupa version of an adult insect and it's a "bigger in Texas" kind of thing LOL!!!) to come with me on my "Aiming for bluegill" fly trip. The nymph is the single one on the bottom. The first 4 on top are the maggots the next 4 are the grubs. They almost look like they are moving in the picture. To show how small they actually are. The gray foam that they are on is 1.5" x 2" x 3/4" so the grubs and stuff are each about 1/4" before the tail. .

[Linked Image]

Even though it looks like a baby bird before he gets his feathers I will call it a Zonker-Baitfish fly with a clear head made from two 3D eyes, the long end of the zonker strip rolled up and several layers of crystal clear UV resin. The eyes appear to be floating inside the head because they are below the surface of the resin. The black marabou is fluffy and light where the zonker faux fur is stiff and thicker. This gives the fly a fairly realistic swimming action.

[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/19/21 08:48 AM

Freestyle Zonkers

[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/20/21 07:11 AM

Painted copper coneheads

[Linked Image]

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/20/21 07:03 PM

Foam gurgle beetles

[Linked Image]

Zonker streamers

[Linked Image]

That's over 70 flies in about a month..... Not too bad for someone that barely had use of his hands two months ago. Thank goodness for corticosteroid shots.

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/21/21 04:48 AM

I gave it my best attempt to go semi realistic using foam, scissors, Sharpies, and feathers..... This..... was..... the result!!!!!!

I know, I know I'm tying flies here not building plushy baby toys..

It's a sign.... My mind is wandering lakeside and on that note I regret to inform you that have been following, I unofficially close this thread.

[Linked Image]

I do like the grass hopper.

Yep...... It's time to go.... fishing.....
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Then I tied some more..... - 07/21/21 07:23 PM

Neat thread. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum