Texas Fishing Forum

A few new flies

Posted By: Bones72

A few new flies - 01/16/21 02:18 PM

Been tying a bit in prep for some more saltwater fishing. Finally have my new Lamson reel rather than using the Walmart cheapie I had or risking one of my Hardy's in the coastal environment. Did some baitfish and some of what I call crawling crack as the fly has a solid base in Backwater Flies' "candy corn crawler". I also did some more popping shrimp as someone on here suggested some in white.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: A few new flies - 01/16/21 06:43 PM

NIce work Bones.

Re: A few new flies - 01/16/21 06:48 PM

Thanks
Posted By: Dougfresh

Re: A few new flies - 01/16/21 07:37 PM

Popping shrimp looks intriguing. How do you fish it? Its a topwater i assume.

Re: A few new flies - 01/17/21 01:47 PM

Yep its a top water. I have fished it much like a popping cork just twitch, twitch, pause. Have had no blow ups on it yet but have only used them since November. Put a little #6 UV glue grass shrimp under them as a dropper and have caught sheepshead, trout, and mangrove snapper on the dropper so far.
Posted By: Dougfresh

Re: A few new flies - 01/17/21 05:45 PM

That sounds fun with the dropper. Whats the body made of besides foam? Is it a chenille, EP brush, some fur?

Re: A few new flies - 01/18/21 11:48 AM

The recipe is three wraps of E.P. Foxy brush, Pearl estaz, EZ eyes, life flex for antennae, E.P. tarantula hairy legs brush, on a #2 B10s.

Wrap the foxy brush right at the bend then tie in the estaz and wrap over the edge of the foxy brush to get it to lay down some and leave one wrap of the estaz exposed, add the eyes then tie in the antennae, next tie in the hairy legs brush, tie in the foam then wrap the estaz just about a wrap or to short from where you want to finish wrapping the hairy legs brush, wrap the hairy legs brush tie in the rear of the foam and whip finish. Trim the foam and a drop or two of cement to the whip finish. Pretty easy fly to do as compared to some salt water patterns.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A few new flies - 01/20/21 02:38 AM

Very nice! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum