Texas Fishing Forum

Need a new bobbin

Posted By: FlyFX

Need a new bobbin - 08/09/20 08:48 PM

Any suggestions on ceramic bobbins ? I left my griffins at the hunting camp and am now working with a my back up feather-craft ceramic, cheap but works well.
Can't justify a return trip this soon. Of course a few more bobbins can only help. Think I've got G.A.S. again.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Need a new bobbin - 08/09/20 10:14 PM

I've been pleased with the standard size Rite bobbin. I have not tried a Griffin, so don't know how they compare. The Rite has a very narrow tube and I like that.
Posted By: FlyFX

Re: Need a new bobbin - 08/10/20 11:04 AM

Rex, the Griffin is merely a wishbone design with a ceramic tube attached, really nothing special.
An speaking of bobbins, I went over to my local gear hound to tie a few and BBQ since his warden would not let him night fish I mean it's flathead season after all.
He has acquired several bobbins from $5 - $100 over the years and I got to use a few of the new designs by Rite, Tiemco mag, Loon, Dr. Slick Stonfo,Smhaen, Jigmaster . I must say the Rite Half hitch did seem to stay close
I really liked the tension clutch and the idea I could hitch or whip finish without changing hands or looking for another tool. Arguably could be done with others but seemed easier with that bobbin
Thanks for the recommendation, after sleeping on it I believe I need a couple of these.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Need a new bobbin - 08/10/20 12:05 PM

FlyFX, you made the right decision by testing several and then picking the one you liked best. Congrats! Enjoy your new bobbin.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum