Texas Fishing Forum

Unusual flies to me

Posted By: bschat

Unusual flies to me - 07/09/18 05:58 PM

My father had a love for pan fishing and part of is toolbox were this odd flies that he picked and could not remember where he picked them up in his military travels. The question is the four flies in the middle, there was lot more, but use took there toll. There is no metal manufactured eyelet, the eyelet is tried in as the flies are constructed. It appears to be a monofilament loop that goes back half of the hook shank. If any one has any knowledge or ideas where to get a little background , I would be thankful.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Unusual flies to me - 07/09/18 06:39 PM

Well I call them popping bugs. Usually cork bodies...

Never seen the eyeless hook loop before but that would be a good way to isolate the fly from the leader. I’d fish those with supreme confidence.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Unusual flies to me - 07/09/18 07:21 PM

That style of hook is often referred to as a “blind eye” hook. Traditionally, the material used to make the loop is silk gut. Mono can also be used to make the loop, but mono is more of a challenge to ensure it is well attached to the hook shank to avoid it pulling out while fighting a fish.

You’ll still see blind hooks used by some traditional style salmon fly tyers, especially for flies that are intended for framing. There are many salmon fly videos that show how the technique is done.

Those are some cool flies, especially, since they were your father's flies. You'll find similar patterns if you search under the category "Wet Fly" patterns.
Posted By: bschat

Re: Unusual flies to me - 07/12/18 01:15 PM

thank you for the info
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum