Texas Fishing Forum

Golden Shiner Patterns?

Posted By: WillieRip

Golden Shiner Patterns? - 06/22/18 12:53 PM

While catfish juggin the other day, a fellow angler gave me some golden shiners. I baited them up on a crappie pole, drop shot style and drifted below the dam in swift water and picked up a nice spotted bass.

Well, I got back home, sat down at the fly tying vice and started trying to make a golden shiner streamer. I was wondering what golden shiner patterns have you fellas used over the years?

Posted By: Fly Fishing Scout

Re: Golden Shiner Patterns? - 06/22/18 01:16 PM

And pictures are always appreshiated!!!

LOL

Re: Golden Shiner Patterns? - 06/22/18 01:32 PM

Obviously you didn't read the post. I'm asking what golden shiner patterns you have used. It isn't about golden shiner patterns I have developed. Please. Seriously.

Re: Golden Shiner Patterns? - 06/22/18 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieRip
Obviously you didn't read the post. I'm asking what golden shiner patterns you have used. It isn't about golden shiner patterns I have developed. Please. Seriously.

LOL, it’s ok, and I understand how that could be misconstrued.

Will, you do not know me yet and I am new to this forum, but I am just a big goof ball. It is so difficult for people to interpret my posts, as verbal expressions/accents and non verbal communication are not present to animate the printed words on the screen.

Yes sir, I completely understand your question. I was encouraging people to post pictures with their responses to your post. Manly because I a new to fly tying and a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Tight lines

Duane.

1 John 2:10.

Re: Golden Shiner Patterns? - 06/22/18 02:19 PM

Oh, okay. Now I understand what you meant. My fault.

Yes, it would be good for everyone to add images or links to images of shiners. Most of my patterns I usually study the animal first, then make something totally without patterns. It takes several tries before settling on a basic design. I plan to shoot a video later today of what I've developed so far. One design even has a rattle, but it's more work than I'd like for a quick, easy-to-tie streamer.

Usually I look at other designs to see what direction people have gone in, using that as a way to modify what I've come up with.

Not to reinvent the circle, it makes you a better fly tier and fishing tackle designer to look at the basic description of the animal first, tie several patterns based on the materials you have on hand, then look at other designs.

Re: Golden Shiner Patterns? - 06/23/18 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: WillieRip
Most of my patterns I usually study the animal first...

...Not to reinvent the circle, it makes you a better fly tier and fishing tackle designer to look at the basic description of the animal first, tie several patterns based on the materials you have on hand, then look at other designs.

Brother, that right there is awesome advice.

Not just to have a concept of what I want to tie. But to have a tangible picture of what I want to tie to insure I do not deviate too much from my road map. Honiestly, that would even help “me” as I am picking out materials.

You are awesome and thank you!!

Duane.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Golden Shiner Patterns? - 06/23/18 03:17 PM

As far as matching a golden shiner, it’s hard to beat a simple clouser minnow in white or tan with a little bit of flash

Re: Golden Shiner Patterns? - 06/23/18 05:36 PM

Here's my golden shiner:
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum