Texas Fishing Forum

Simple Minnow Pattern

Posted By: twstephens77

Simple Minnow Pattern - 04/26/18 05:47 PM

Started making these little guys and I'm a fan. I added vertical Sharpie lines to one last night and it looks sweeeet. Very simple, easy and hopefully effective on those clear Hill Country rivers.

Re: Simple Minnow Pattern - 04/26/18 05:49 PM

Also, glad to be hooked on this new sport/hobby! I LOVE how there are always less than 15 people viewing the fly tying forum haha.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Simple Minnow Pattern - 04/26/18 08:55 PM

Nice. I need to look into getting some ewg hooks. Post up a photo or two with your ties in a fish’s mouth or a story about fishing them. I’m always interested in reading what works or doesn’t.

There’s really no limit on what can be put on a hook and how. I usually have several things I want to tie, but just run out of time to get them done or am missing some vital piece. Yesterday, I was going to work on spinning some deer hair but somehow got into some salty patterns.

My experience is the fish truly don’t care if the fly has a name or is in a book or not. Some flies I’ve tied are duds, some are okay, some work great. Some are more or less, to the best of my abilities, faithful copies of a known pattern and some are me going off on some tangent.

It probably wouldn’t hurt my feelings if people posted more of their ties, good, bad or indifferent. I’ve always gotten ideas from what people post about what the are tying and fishing. Sometimes, someone’s comments might help make a tie better.

Anyway, glad you posted. Forums are just livelier when folks post.

Re: Simple Minnow Pattern - 04/27/18 01:50 PM

I'm the same way. I enjoy tying so much that I often just go down some rabbit trail and end up with something totally different than I intended. And you're exactly right that just about ANYTHING can be tied on a hook...I've gone as far as cutting hair off my own dog haha. The only flies I've had really good luck with so far are little bluegill patterns, but have yet to find anything that the bass consistently like. Hopefully these do the trick, as they are basically just a Clouser/Deceiver variation tied on a EWG hook. I'm going to try them out on the San Gabriel on Sunday so I'll let y'all know how it goes!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum