Texas Fishing Forum

Bullet Proof Leaders

Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Bullet Proof Leaders - 04/03/18 09:46 PM

Posted By: kaboboom

Re: Bullet Proof Leaders - 04/04/18 11:15 AM

Nice instruction and well designed set-up. I've never done much with braided line, but recently, I've figured out how to twist mono. It's different than the other vids I've seen where you have to "free hand" manage the running line ends ...I couldn't do that (sort of because it's hard to free up either hand)...my attempts would get all twisted up...find each other, etc. Braid is different than mono...once you twist mono and remove the torque, it relaxes twisted. The other change I've made is I don't like a loop connection to tippet so my end section is single strand. I also cut the last double stranded butt section and twist that together to minimize midsection knots. Mine are only three sections...single, double, and quadruple captured with a Kreh Leader knot. I can make them to almost any length since I'm not limited to the length of a jig. I tried my way once with braid...it didn't work very well, again, because braid doesn't form a "natural" amount of twists like mono, at least when done by hand. Not the greatest instruction vid, and I'm doing something quite a bit simpler, so I hope it's worth sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0ar5Tp1pSQ&t=34s
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Bullet Proof Leaders - 04/05/18 03:50 PM

I will add that these leaders using braid last a lifetime. I have never had one break or come apart. I fly fish mostly for bass so I can't say whether my leaders are appropriate for line-shy fish like trout. I suspect in situations where accurate casting is required the better a leader lays out the better it is for those conditions.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum