Texas Fishing Forum

Extra tackle coverage on homeowners or boat?

Posted By: basseditor

Extra tackle coverage on homeowners or boat? - 07/06/17 12:40 AM

I want to make sure the value of my fishing equipment is covered. My agent was going to sell me a rider on my homeowners but then suggested to add it to my boat insurance. It would save some money that way.

The agent was asking for an appraisal or receipts from all of my purchases. (I have 100s of receipts in a box, but some have faded too bad to read.) I had asked for $25,000 rider on my homeowners, but I did an inventory of my rods over the weekend it came to about $25,000 at retail cost. That was before reels and tackle. I don't know if she will be satisfied with a spread sheet and photos of all that equipment. I'd hate to have it all professionally appraised if they demand it. Yes, it's used stuff, but it would cost a lot to replace it all. Some of my rods are no longer made. Some are custom. They couldn't even be replaced if I wanted to.

I worry about losing everything in a storm or fire. I don't have all of the stuff in my boat at one time but 20-25 combos while on the water is possible. The horror stories we read about having all of your stuff taken from your boat at the lake is scary too. I unload my boat all the time but there is a lot of stuff in my garage then.

Has anyone added a rider to your home or boat policy? I'm thinking of changing to Boat U.S. for the boat/tackle. They seem to understand the boat market better. It will add $300/yr. to my boat policy. But that's less than one rod.
Posted By: Insurancepro

Re: Extra tackle coverage on homeowners or boat? - 07/06/17 10:49 PM

If you want to call me I will walk you through what you need to do to put together an inventory. Thanks Bob Luellen 517-627-8080
Posted By: Diezel_Rocker

Re: Extra tackle coverage on homeowners or boat? - 07/14/17 09:02 PM

On the home rider I'd say it isn't worth it. I had a bunch of camera gear insured on my home owners policy. A $1100 piece of gear turned up missing after shooting volcano's in Hawaii. I filed a claim. Got a check but my policy went up nearly exactly $1100 the following year (more than doubled).
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum