Texas Fishing Forum

Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance

Posted By: Lee in Texas

Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 12:31 AM

Insured combined with auto via GEICO, i.e., Sea Worthy.
About time to renew (only 1 year with them - i.e., no claims).
Pro's or Con's with that company ? noidea
Inputs really appreciated. Last thing I want, it to have to make a claim and then have a fight on my hands. Just hope it's something I never have to use.
fish
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 12:41 AM

I have always had State Farm and have had a few claims with zero issues, I am very pleased with the company and my agent.
Posted By: Joe D

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 12:47 AM

I insure everything with one insurance company,that is about the only way to get the best discounts.home,car,boat with one company. If they cancel you for one claim you chose poorly.
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 12:52 AM

My partner has progressive. It's just like the old commercials where they pull the sank boat out and drop a new one in. It was just like that.
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 01:56 AM

I cannot comment on Geico, however I can on Progressive. I have boat, cars and rv insurance with progressive and I have been100% satisfied. I use my boat hard and have had several lower unit claims and 1 fiberglass claim. They never questioned any and payed like clockwork. I talked with adjuster after one claim worrying about being dropped and he told me that bass fisherman use their boats and they expected claims and for me not to worry.
Posted By: bigcat85

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 02:21 AM

You need to contact bob luellen at world wide marine underwriters. His info can be found in the insurance section. I promise you wont be disappointed.
Posted By: Jay Kendrick

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 02:30 AM

I reccomend going through Dillon Leeat Farmers, he is a forum member. I switched to them last year and have had 3 lower unit claims and have not had any trouble at all. My last two claims they have wired a check to my bank account THE DAY OF my claim. I'm very satisfied and highly reccomend them.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: bigcat85
You need to contact bob luellen at world wide marine underwriters. His info can be found in the insurance section. I promise you wont be disappointed.

+100
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 02:26 PM

lots of information on this down in the insurance section. Bob L, Dillon Lee, or Karen at State Farm would be the only choices I would chooose from.
Posted By: BanjoMinnow

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 02:29 PM

Can someone that knows a decent amount about boat insurance and price PM me please. I think I'm paying way too much.

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 02:31 PM

Looks like I need to research that forum! Didn't even know there was one.
The one thing that this post does tell me, not many using GEICO's partner company for boat insurance, Sea Worthy.
May have a pig in a poke! They aren't expensive but, being bundled with home/auto and now boat, was curious of others experience with this company
Thanks guys
fish
Posted By: Fishin24-7

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 02:35 PM

I just switched to (Geico) SeaWorthy from Progressive and it cut my rate in half with the same coverage. I never made a claim with Progressive and they have steadily increased my rates which annoyed me. That being said if I do have to make a claim and get the run around I will be kicking myself. I also got a quote from Boat US and it was consistent with what I was paying with Progressive.
Posted By: RudyDep

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I have always had State Farm and have had a few claims with zero issues, I am very pleased with the company and my agent.

I have State Farm, they just approved my claim on a $7000 lower unit replacement. ( Gotta love anything that says "Racing" on it).
I just needed a quote on Letterhead and a few pics. No muss no fuss...
Posted By: Classic Fiberglass

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 03:16 PM

So far the only issue that we have seen with Seaworthy is that they depreciate on lower units, sometimes as much as 30%. Formost(Allstate) does the same thing sometime. In my opinion Progressive and Statefarm are the best to deal with on a coverage basis. We have done over 200 claims for Progressive and only one time did I feel that should have covered something when they did not.
Shoot me a PM if you have specific questions.
Posted By: MV

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 03:22 PM

and have a good shop to deal with the insurance adjusters that's a big part too.
Posted By: Todd Castledine

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 03:50 PM

Need to check out what FARMERS is doing in regards to incentives for tournament fishing. Its almost incredible that everyone who fishes some of these tournaments aren't reaping the rewards.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
Insured combined with auto via GEICO, i.e., Sea Worthy.
About time to renew (only 1 year with them - i.e., no claims).
Pro's or Con's with that company ? noidea
Inputs really appreciated. Last thing I want, it to have to make a claim and then have a fight on my hands. Just hope it's something I never have to use.
fish
Stay away from Boat US I had my insurance with them for 2 years had a claim last sept mechanic said it looked like vandalism to him. Well they sent adjuster out twice and after 3 months I was informed they weren't going to cover it. Needless to say I will be with a new company when it comes due.
Posted By: Puma 54

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 04:30 PM

Lee, Be sure you check out this:

"You need to contact bob luellen at world wide marine underwriters. His info can be found in the insurance section. I promise you wont be disappointed."
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 04:32 PM

I use United Marine Underwriters and have no complaints. They were by far the cheapest quote I received and had better coverage. They only insure water crafts and are efficient at what they do. I had one claim this past year that was almost 11k for a lower unit and some fiberglass work. They worked with Johnson's Fiberglass(who are the best in the business) for pictures of the needed repairs. I just renewed my policy with them and anticipate keeping them long term.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 04:36 PM

All I can tell u is insurance is going up. Geico can in cheapest.
Posted By: Hunter's Dad

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd Castledine
Need to check out what FARMERS is doing in regards to incentives for tournament fishing. Its almost incredible that everyone who fishes some of these tournaments aren't reaping the rewards.

I have everything with my Farmer's Agent, John Salamone, and have been very pleased.

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 05:10 PM

I have been recommended to check out Farmers from a couple of sources now.
May have to inquire while I still have time.
thanks
Originally Posted By: Hunter's Dad
Originally Posted By: Todd Castledine

I have everything with my Farmer's Agent, John Salamone, and have been very pleased.
Posted By: Buckster83

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 05:18 PM

I have Framers and had a claim last Feb. They never gave me any problems and was extremely easy to work with. They replaced the whole hull of my boat and all the wood inside to the new composite, added the Gorilla hull from Toledo Fiberglass. Total was right at 8k.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 05:24 PM

I submitted a request through the website of a guy who people here recommend often and got no response. I know I'm a city slicker and blah blah but if you can't respond to an inquiry within 24 hours then I'm moving on. No time to be tracking someone down to give them my money. So I'd find someone not too busy to return calls or emails and then go from there.

Foremost insures my boat through a broker that is very responsive. If they're slow to respond when they don't have your money imagine how it will be after they have it.
Posted By: skeeter0984

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 05:50 PM

Defenitelly bob luellen
Posted By: PTGfish

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 05:59 PM

State Farm may not be the cheapest but their claim service is excellent. I had a claim and all they needed was a quaote on a letterhead and it was paid.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 06:51 PM

I had GEICO for my house and car. First 2 years were fine the 3rd my home owners jumped by over double and auto increase as well. No claims on either.

I use Bob Luellen for my boat insurance and Nationwide for everything else. GEICO isn't consistent with their pricing in the long run.
Posted By: Steve PIII

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon

+100

I've had Boat US and Progressive, rates went up 10-15% every year, State Farm was already way high, this is the way to go. I have filed one claim and it was handled very well and quickly.
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 07:45 PM

I have Texas Farm Bureau. By far the best pricing that I found for boat insurance. Not even close. Hope I don't ever have to use it!
Posted By: Ranger205

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 02/04/14 08:37 PM

Had State Farm for over 20yrs. Three claims, one years back for trailer damage after semi threw a 2x4 up on the road on a previous boat. Two claims for lower units on present boat, one in 2010 and one in 2012. Got a letter from them 4 weeks back that they were "non-renewing" my policy because of the last two claims. Funny they wait two years to drop me and after being a customer for over 20 years. State Farm is [censored] in my book now. Several agents I have shopped with recently claim State Farm is slowly leaving the boat buisness and they won't even write a policy in Florida now. BEWARE of State Farm !!!

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 03/07/14 11:17 PM

HUGE Problem with SeaWorthy!! They will NOT tell you about the depreciation of your boat and equipment! After the boat is 6 years old they depreciate 10% per year for each year!!
I AM Switching!
Going with World Wide and Bob..per recommendations on here!!!
Thought ya'll should know!! I don't like surprises!!!

Originally Posted By: Fishin24-7
I just switched to (Geico) SeaWorthy from Progressive and it cut my rate in half with the same coverage. I never made a claim with Progressive and they have steadily increased my rates which annoyed me. That being said if I do have to make a claim and get the run around I will be kicking myself. I also got a quote from Boat US and it was consistent with what I was paying with Progressive.
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 07/10/14 05:50 PM

+100

+1000
Posted By: Legend on Richland-Chambers

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 01/08/15 03:56 PM

State Farm is good about paying claims .... but will drop yo arse right after !!!!!!

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 01/08/15 03:59 PM

That's who I am using now. Just have 'qualms' about his directing me to Progressive. First time I have ever used them and I sure don't like the CEO of that company's policys and his political beliefs. But, maybe the insurance is ok, sure hope so.
Originally Posted By: Big Red 12

+100

+1000
Posted By: Offshore Cowboy

Re: Probably Not New Subject: Boat Insurance - 01/19/15 05:03 PM

I have not insured a small boat for many years now, but from what I understand the type of policy is dependent on size and or hp of the boat, at the lower level it is just a generic type policy then transitions to true marine insurance.
Does anybody know what the parameters are for the different types of policies regarding the size or hp of the boat?
I would imagine that there would be a significant difference in premiums.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum