Texas Fishing Forum

How long ?

Posted By: THarris22

How long ? - 06/27/17 12:57 PM

How long do you normally make your tails? I try and make mine same length as the body. Noticed a lot of jigs here that are quite a bit longer. Just looking at different options and wondering why?
Posted By: CrappieHappy

Re: How long ? - 06/27/17 01:41 PM

it's personal preference, and what you have confidence in. either will catch fish....
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: How long ? - 06/27/17 02:16 PM

Sometimes the hackle tells you how long the tail will be.
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: How long ? - 06/27/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: CrappieHappy
it's personal preference, and what you have confidence in. either will catch fish....

+1

There is no right/wrong answer, unless the crappie says so. Might be wise to have some small and large jigs in your tackle bag, just in case.... wink
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: How long ? - 06/27/17 04:46 PM

REDGUN is absolutely correct! I remember when I started tying a lot of guys told me I was making my tails too long, but the more I did it and the more guys fished with them the more it proved I was not wrong at all! Most seem to say or talk about short strikes and I say maybe they are fishing for Bluegills? However crappie to me don't really do much short striking as they have a big ol mouth and will engulf the jig! I never changed my ways and I catch at least my fair share as do the guys I tie for.

Tying is all about what you like and want. There are a lot of rules to go by in fly tying, but even their rules are not hard and fast and if the fish like it who is anyone that wants to say otherwise? As long as within reason I don't see a down side to a longer tail! I do know it's going to move more!

For me I say the biggest thing about tying your own is you can do what ever you want and like, just have fun!

Skip
Posted By: SK.

Re: How long ? - 06/27/17 05:24 PM

I agree with all posted....
Posted By: THarris22

Re: How long ? - 06/27/17 05:55 PM

Just wondered if you are trying to make the bait a certain size or if it was just a personal like or dislike. I have had long and short tails on some of my jigs and can't really tell the difference in the amount of bits one over the other. The shorter tails on my jigs do look a little cleaner. Thanks for the input guys.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: How long ? - 06/27/17 08:33 PM

Time of year usually dictates what I'm dropping. About mid June, when the shad hatch is swimming everywhere, I'll fish with a shorter tail just to match the hatch. Seems the crappie get a little picky during the summer months and like smaller baits on most days. Rest of the year, it's larger baits. Summer is about the only time I'll drop 1/16 baits. And that depends on the wind. I'll keep some of both sizes handy though, cause you never know what a crappie is going to like tomorrow.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: How long ? - 06/27/17 08:39 PM

I prefer longer tails. The longer the tail the better movement it has in the water to me.
Posted By: where's my bobber?

Re: How long ? - 06/28/17 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin'aholic2
I prefer longer tails. The longer the tail the better movement it has in the water to me.

+1

When I started, people also told me my tails were too long. I prefer them. My customers do as well. Do your thing. Don't let anyone tell you what's "right". Because there is no right or wrong.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum