Texas Fishing Forum

What to do?

Posted By: Ash58

What to do? - 06/01/17 07:48 PM

What do you use when they are only biting minnows? I have tried almost every jig in my box and minnows is the only thing getting any play. When I go fishing minnows are not always available for me to buy. I haven't tied in a long time and I am wanting to get back in there. Y'all have any input?
Posted By: TakeTheBait

Re: What to do? - 06/01/17 08:17 PM

Berkley Gulp! Alive Minnow. I like the smelt or black shad. 3in works great! They are expensive but last forever! Also if you start using these dip the bait back in the juice inside the container every 5 to 10 min. Hope this helps!

Berkley Minnow
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: What to do? - 06/01/17 11:04 PM

Hold the jig as still as possible .... don't jig it.
Posted By: Mittens

Re: What to do? - 06/01/17 11:12 PM

I totally agree with TakeTheBait, Berkley gulp, I prefer either Pink Shine or Fathead in the 1 inch profile on a plain jig head for crappies 1/16oz #6 hook. That Gulp might give you a very pleasant surprise!!

Re: What to do? - 06/02/17 12:32 AM

I went and bought some as soon as Takethebait posted that. I will be giving it a try tomorrow night. Walmart only had the neon yellow 3in minnow. I am headed to cabela's tomorrow to see if I can find a more natural color.
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: What to do? - 06/02/17 12:51 AM

Try a jig that looks like the shad. Silver gray head, silver hackle, light gray feather tail or white tail. And you might dip that jig in that Berkley Gulp juice.
Also, the ice shad from Thermocline Lures works great this time of year. Either Mr Fry or Tadpole. 1/16 head for a slow fall.
Posted By: pepop

Re: What to do? - 06/03/17 06:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Try a jig that looks like the shad. Silver gray head, silver hackle, light gray feather tail or white tail. And you might dip that jig in that Berkley Gulp juice.
Also, the ice shad from Thermocline Lures works great this time of year. Either Mr Fry or Tadpole. 1/16 head for a slow fall.

OR, see if HOGON will part with 1 or 2 of those jigs that guy over on Lake Palestine ties! bannana2
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: What to do? - 06/04/17 02:43 AM

Personally what I do it take a heavy jig, like 1/8 or 1/4 and use it as bait and weight. I tie it on the bottom and the up the line I tie on a Gamakatsu Drop Shot hook #1 or #2 and use it with a minnow. I find that 70% of the time I catch bigger fish on the jig!

Skip
Posted By: TakeTheBait

Re: What to do? - 06/05/17 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Ash58
I went and bought some as soon as Takethebait posted that. I will be giving it a try tomorrow night. Walmart only had the neon yellow 3in minnow. I am headed to cabela's tomorrow to see if I can find a more natural color.

So... How did you do???

Re: What to do? - 06/22/17 05:19 PM

With the gulp I have caught a few cats but no crappie.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum