Texas Fishing Forum

Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure

Posted By: Skip_48

Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/18/15 04:53 PM

Maybe it's just the color I put the Red on, but don't really think so. Anyway now that I did it unsure if I like it a lot or not at all, LOL! Crazy huh? Anyway what do you guys think?

Skip

Posted By: larry mays

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/18/15 07:05 PM

All of the jigs I have tied last few weeks has been white and no flash. So I will say it has color, but it looks good.
Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/18/15 07:21 PM

I like it. It's very similar to some I've made in the past. I'm pretty sure it will catch fish.
Posted By: pepop

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/19/15 07:36 AM

Very Nice Skip!

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/19/15 02:01 PM

Thanks guys! I couldn't reall do what I had as my vision for this one because it's on a Sickle hook which you all know has a shorter straight shank. I wanted the FL Chart Estaz to be a little longer and then the Red Grande Red because I wanted to have the hackles to be longer than the Chart and maybe some stick back in the water with the Chart showing through. However seems I have to use something else for the Red or use a different hook to make this as I see it.

Skip

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/19/15 03:57 PM

I think the longer hook would be the way to go. It does need to be longer. Most of the jigs I use in summer, day and night I put on number 2 hooks that are not sickle. The hook points on sickle hook most of the time are bent in to far. The point needs to be 8-12 degrees out side of the eye. Other wise the point and eye work against each other on hook set.
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/19/15 08:52 PM

Nice one Skip...
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/20/15 02:48 AM

You usually tie some beautiful jigs...... bolt
Posted By: BuckeyeKdog

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/20/15 12:33 PM

Skip, Nice outside the box thinking. You can always start your chenille a bit closer to the bend of the hook. Looks like you have room for 2-3 wraps. However, having said that, there will come a day that that jig is the only one that will catch a fish.

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/20/15 05:03 PM

Thanks guys!

Buckeyedog I think your right, I could have added maybe 2 more wraps and that would look better. Still on a regular bend hook the straight portion of the shank is a good bit longer.

Skip

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/20/15 07:01 PM

Have been looking at this again, that chart & blue sure does go together. Skip, I have never use Estaz chenille on night jigs, any thoughts on what would be a out standing color for that?

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/21/15 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: larry mays
Have been looking at this again, that chart & blue sure does go together. Skip, I have never use Estaz chenille on night jigs, any thoughts on what would be a out standing color for that?

Wow good question, let me get in there tomorrow morning and I will look at them to pick good ones! Think I have a lot of the colors they make and what I don't have, probably have a small sample of them.

They have some great stuff, probably the best Mylar chenille made, even the cotton is covered by Mylar!

Skip
Posted By: BuckeyeKdog

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/21/15 03:22 AM

Skip, I used to have a bunch of eagle claw 574 hooks, that is the 1x long shank. After tying loads of sickles, I tried tying some of those long shank jobbies and had a heck of a time. Maybe adding an extra body color would help. gonna try it and see.

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/21/15 04:25 PM

Larry Mays They have a lot of colors and several styles so let me just make something as clear as I can. First they have colors like Opal Dk Blue which is really not a dark Blue and is their number 28. They also have colors that are not Opal, which means the Opal ones have added materials to give it a Pearl effect. They also have something called UV Lights and is available in many of the colors. They have 3 sizes in their chenille except what they call Metallique which is just a color that has Silver included in it which is nice stuff too.

Sizes, Petite, Standard and Grande! Never seen the Petite, but the Regular is 15mm and the Grande is 30mm, huge stuff!

Colors... IMHO they have the best Chartreuse that you can get!
Blue, they have several and I like the Opal Dk Blue a lot, but also like several other Blues they have.
Orange...they have 2 great ones, one is a medium shade and one is a Fire orange that is super hot color.
Pink...they have very good Pink color.
Very Nice Opal Kelly Green as well as several other Greens and even a Lime.
Black...Very nice and they have some Opal Black that is a lot like Cactus Black with the Green highlights, but also a very nice Black UV Lights.
Purple, Plum, Peach etc.
Metallique... they have Chart and Silver, Blue and Silver, Olive and Silver plus a few more. They also have an all Silver I think!

I have not covered them all, but tell me what your interested in and we can talk. This stuff will cost more than most and when you see a pack at your favorite shop make sure to see how much is in that pack, LOL! Example the Grande at JS Fly Fishing is at $2.95 per pack, but that pack has 65" in it ad the Grande is $3.65 a pack, but a pack is 35"!

Oh and for Night fishing both of their Blacks, a couple of their Blue shades, Plum, Purple and the Chart too. If you fishing around a light I think way more colors are in. Don't know why that Fire Orange would do well too. I do like Black and Blue jigs for night a lot! The light thing sure opens the door for other colors!

If you get serious about getting some PM me and we can talk more.

Skip

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/21/15 06:20 PM

Thanks, I knew about their colors being off to what most of us are use to seeing. I have 4-5 colors in the 15 mm but just the stand by ones. After looking to see what I need I will PM you. I know I have some blue % purple jigs left and the last time I used them they were real good.
Posted By: Sunup

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/21/15 10:57 PM

hook stretcher
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/25/15 03:48 PM

Skip, I like that combo. Red/chart has always been a good combo and so is the blue/chart. When chart first became popular in the 70s with the bass guys, I tied a chart tail n body with red head and caught plenty of crappie and bass on that combo. Used it for years and still do sometimes. I think that touch of red sets the jig off just right.

Re: Had An Idea, But Now Not So Sure - 07/25/15 09:59 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate that!

Ken back I. The late 70's I was a guide (mostly bass) here on Toledo Bend and also at times someone wanted some crappie too. I had a great place back then that always paid off big and I was using the same colors as what I call my Christmas jig and it had a Flame Red head, Kelly Green body and FL Yellow tail and just killed the crappie on that. I should use it a lot more than I do now, but I do still use the Chart and Blue a lot! Also have found a FL Yellow body with a Blue tail is also great!

Skip
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum