Texas Fishing Forum

AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds)

Posted By: plateboater

AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/07/15 10:41 PM

Been almost a year but finally we have victory! Great job on the mold. Main hook for design is #1 I also used a 1/0.

Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/07/15 10:51 PM

They look awesome. You got busy with that single cavity prototype!

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/07/15 11:55 PM

Heat wave here today......45!
Posted By: moonriver

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 03:50 AM

thumb
Posted By: pepop

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 06:52 AM

Excellent! I'll take 1!

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 12:21 PM

Pepop....this is right up your alley!

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 12:47 PM

Okay Vern, I'll put you down for one. If anyone else wants one, PM me.
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 02:48 PM

Good lookimg jig head, but how small can you make them? Good job!

Skip

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: AggieKenny
Okay Vern, I'll put you down for one. If anyone else wants one, PM me.

So, the prototype is single cavity, what will the final mold have?

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 05:19 PM

Pepop.....I am working off a single cavity to make sure was right. Kenny is going to build min of 5 pour on the blank may be more.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 06:42 PM

Probably 8 cavities. The first one I made had ten, and I think that was too many. Skip, smaller weight wise? I can make anything, but I will have to reduce the size of the eyes.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 06:49 PM

I see that 1/8 is where we're at but is a 1/16 in the future? What would be cool is a mold with like 3&3 of those 2 sizes or even going the route Jacob's is & utilize both the top & bottom of a mold, with 6 or 7 @ 1/8 on one edge & 6 or 7 @1/16 on the other. Just brainstorming here. In fact, I've been saving 3 walleye heads for someone willing to use them as pattern's. They're pristine 1/8, 1/16 & 1/32 oz heads. Anyway, all that aside, Kenny has produced an excellent 1/8 oz head.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: pepop
I see that 1/8 is where we're at but is a 1/16 in the future? What would be cool is a mold with like 3&3 of those 2 sizes or even going the route Jacob's is & utilize both the top & bottom of a mold, with 6 or 7 @ 1/8 on one edge & 6 or 7 @1/16 on the other. Just brainstorming here. In fact, I've been saving 3 walleye heads for someone willing to use them as pattern's. They're pristine 1/8, 1/16 & 1/32 oz heads. Anyway, all that aside, Kenny has produced an excellent 1/8 oz head.

I can do half and half, and I do a two sided pour. PB had a specific eye, and hook size. I think I can reduce everything by half and get a 1/16. and again to get a 1/32.

This is the mold for my Kenny's Custom Jigs that I designed. The walleye jig will be similar, but with wooden handles.

I upgraded the hinge to eliminate the piano hinge.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/08/15 08:51 PM

Well.....I am thinking Kenny may take some of the suggestions. I agree the way Jacobs is running both sides is nice. I just picked up his 1/64 and I can pour 5 flip then 5. I also like the Jacobs 1/16 pill collar on five flip and no collar on the other five.

I am sure Kenny will listen to the voice of the customer
Posted By: BigDave1

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/09/15 02:13 PM

Price of molds?

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/09/15 05:52 PM

Kenny has yet to say
Posted By: CrappieHappy

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/09/15 08:24 PM

Nice Work, Kenny

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/09/15 09:16 PM

Price has not been determined yet.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/10/15 05:51 PM

Hey I have another question for you on this jig head. First let me say I know almost all jig heads do not weigh what they (mold) claim they do. Example I have some 1/64 so says the mold, but really weigh closer to a 1/48 Oz. So what do these actually weigh?

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/10/15 08:03 PM

Skip, I didn't get them on a scale. Maybe PB can weigh them for us.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/11/15 03:18 AM

Have a scale to weigh out my powder for blackpwder gun.......will get it out an report back this weekend. Away from home on travel

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/11/15 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: plateboater
Have a scale to weigh out my powder for blackpwder gun.......will get it out an report back this weekend. Away from home on travel

Thanks, I know it's not a huge deal except a collar jig always weighs too much to still be called what the mold says and jig heads without a collar are still heavier than the mold says a high % of the time. Will have nothing to do with yours as I expect it will be the same as others are. I had a guy make a mold a number of years ago and we talked about it's weight and the type of collar I wanted on this little 1/16 Oz head. I wanted it small and to flair a little on the end to help hold the thread in place. I send him a jig head like I wanted, his was a little different, but the weight came in really close, but a small tad over, but I was happy with them and use them for kip tail jigs.

Appreciate knowing that info!

Skip
Posted By: fe1

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/12/15 07:01 PM

How about a mold with 1/16 and 3/32 oz cavities and a barb collar for plastics? Would that be doable?

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/13/15 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: fe1
How about a mold with 1/16 and 3/32 oz cavities and a barb collar for plastics? Would that be doable?

Looking into it as we speak. What size keeper? I think a metal keeper molded into the head will be less expensive to rework than having a lead barb.

And for Skip,
I was looking through some of my old notes from my programmer and they show .144 oz with the hook, or just over 1/8. I don't have an actual weight yet.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/13/15 12:58 AM

Originally Posted By: AggieKenny

Looking into it as we speak. What size keeper? I think a metal keeper molded into the head will be less expensive to rework than having a lead barb.

And for Skip,
I was looking through some of my old notes from my programmer and they show .144 oz with the hook, or just over 1/8. I don't have an actual weight yet.

I'm not really sure what size keeper as I have NO expierence with them.I've always used the molded in led barb ones, thats what I would prefer. Maybe PePop,Skip or someone could help us out in that department.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/13/15 01:05 AM

I'll look into both.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/13/15 01:12 AM

Been out of country this week for work. Will weigh this weekend

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/13/15 01:50 AM

Been out of country this week for work. Will weigh this weekend

No worries PB, I was just posting the info I had.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/13/15 09:25 PM

What size eyes do y'all want on the 1/16 and 1/32 walleye heads?

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 12:58 AM

I'm kinda guessing but I would think 3mm or 4mm would do it.
Hopefully PePop and Skip will make a suggestion.
How about a 3/32oz mold is that possible?

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 02:01 AM

I'm kinda guessing but I would think 3mm or 4mm would do it.
Hopefully PePop and Skip will make a suggestion.
How about a 3/32oz mold is that possible?

The original eyes requested on the 1/8 were 4mm, and they barely fit. I don't think I can reduce the head by half and get the same size eye in there, and half again on the 1/32. I was hoping there was an eye size that would be a good fit for each weight.

Let me get the 1/16 and the 1/32 figured out, then I'll look into a 3/32, but I'm going to guess when the 1/16 is all said and done, it will be pretty close to a 3/32.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 02:19 AM

I think there is a 2.5mm also.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 02:45 AM

3mm or 4mm

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 03:09 AM

Personally I use 4mm on 1/16 & 1/8 so maybe 3mm on 1/32. I bought a few 1/32 walleye head's from CA and the 4mm is just slightly too big to fit. I wish I could find a 3.5mm eye. That'd fit nicely. Kenny, 3mm for the 1/32 should work.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 03:12 AM

Okay, I'll see what I can do with 3mm eyes.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 03:20 AM

BTW Kenny, as I'm only using the heads for tying, I'd like all my position's without barbs or collars. In fact, you guy's opting for a lead barb as a keeper for plastic's, you might want to consider a small metal "hook" under the head for a keeper. My own personal opinion, but I think the metal hook keeper is much less damaging to the plastic but still does a great job holding the bait on. But then, I hated jigs with lead barbs as they tore up the plastic so much, I opted for a drop of Super Glue under the head. No barb needed

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 11:26 AM

I am the same thought with Pepop on eyes and the metal hooks

So the weight......conversion to 1/8 = 3.54 grams, 1/16 = 1.77 grams, Jig head weighs 2.01, dressed jigs are weighing 2.11.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 11:56 AM

So for referenced I weighed a few different styles:
Do-it 1/8 round 46 grams 1.62 ounces
Do-it 1/8 Tear drop 57 grams 2.01 ounces
Do-it 1/8 Minnow head 65 grams 2.29 ounces
Do-It 1/8 Ultra Shad no collar 50 grams 1.76 ounces
Jacobs 1/8 tube 57 grams 2.01 ounces
Jacobs 1/8 pill 47 grams 1.48 ounces

I have no idea what to say other than.....data does not lie. GO TEAM
Posted By: REDGUN

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 02:51 PM

So for referenced I weighed a few different styles:
Do-it 1/8 round 46 grams 1.62 ounces
Do-it 1/8 Tear drop 57 grams 2.01 ounces
Do-it 1/8 Minnow head 65 grams 2.29 ounces
Do-It 1/8 Ultra Shad no collar 50 grams 1.76 ounces
Jacobs 1/8 tube 57 grams 2.01 ounces
Jacobs 1/8 pill 47 grams 1.48 ounces

Unless you weighed the mold, I assume your decimel point is in the wrong place?.....
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 04:46 PM

Thems some purdy gold hooks...

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/14/15 05:39 PM

Redgun.....I hope I not confusing anyone. I am using a Lyman Precision Elite Series 1000 XP Compact Electronic Reloading Scale(other bad habits). 1 gram is .03 ounces based off model I use. http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/grams-to-ounces.htm. I place jig on scale.

My humble opinion for Kenny's jig is it falls at good mid point if not to the high side up the bell curve. If you are looking at low and high side of the bell. Compared to just a few other jig makers , I believe jig is a buy for myself. But I am used to speck of parts to the micron and we scrap for sometimes less than 5 microns and a hair is between 30 to 40. Again only my humble opinion, for a "model 1/8" this should hunt.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/15/15 03:58 PM

Something is off whit your numbers as far as how many grams and Oz's your posting. 1/8 Oz heads should weigh .125 Oz, but I usually find they weight a little more, bit not near what you have here. The 1/8 means 1/8 of an Oz so can not weigh over an Oz. So something about your figures are just not right.

So I believe on the 1/8 you should have had 4.6 Grams and not 46!

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/15/15 06:00 PM

Hmmmm. Boys I have failed. My scale was in "grain" not gram. I switched it to gram. Again the reason why I remain humble! 3.68 is weight

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/15/15 06:40 PM

I kinda suspected that was the problem but did'nt want to tell someone how to use their own scales.LOL Problem solved.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/15/15 06:52 PM

Blame it on fat fingers!

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/15/15 07:27 PM

LOL, I think we have all been there before, know I have more than once too! Happens more than I would like!

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/15/15 10:48 PM

I hear you Skip!

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/15/15 11:16 PM

So, As best as I can figure, with the hook, it is .004 over 1/8. I think it can be called "1/8".

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/16/15 11:14 PM

Agree

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/18/15 12:39 AM

Question was asked how do they look with paint....Winners

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/20/15 01:08 AM

Those look awesome painted! How do the eyes look in there with all that paint?

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/20/15 01:37 AM

Is there a tenative date as to when the molds are going to be available for purchase?

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/20/15 01:45 AM

Is there a tenative date as to when the molds are going to be available for purchase?

No, not yet. My machine shop said they are backed up for a while, but will try and get me some mill time when possible.

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/20/15 10:27 AM

Kenny they look perfect with a 4mm eye. Will post some on Saturday. Again great work. Cart is before the horse but 1/16 and 1/32 needs to be added to the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: AggieKenny.....1/8oz Walleye Jig (I think someone may get busy making molds) - 02/20/15 02:17 PM

Looking forward to the pictures. My wish list to the machine shop is, your 1/8 mold (I asked for 3), then the combo sizes 1/8 1/16 1/32 both with keepers and without, and then ball head molds. And a couple other projects.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum