Texas Fishing Forum

The Crappie Craw

Posted By: SlabHappy

The Crappie Craw - 01/04/14 08:19 AM

Here's a jig I just finished tying for a different swap. Will have to get some more of this chenille I tye some more. Should be decent in spring.

Posted By: plateboater

Re: The Crappie Craw - 01/04/14 01:01 PM

A killer jig.....how many minutes does it take to put this together.
Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: The Crappie Craw - 01/04/14 01:16 PM

Wow, that's a nice one right there. thumb
Posted By: pepop

Re: The Crappie Craw - 01/04/14 04:31 PM

That's an excellent tie there bud! I can't wait to get mine! It'd be really cool if you put together a slide show on the construction, especially those eyes! Those are tricky. WTG! thumb
Posted By: Grease Bath

Re: The Crappie Craw - 01/04/14 04:37 PM

Looks great Jeff!

Re: The Crappie Craw - 01/04/14 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: pepop
That's an excellent tie there bud! I can't wait to get mine! It'd be really cool if you put together a slide show on the construction, especially those eyes! Those are tricky. WTG! thumb

I could do that. It took a little figuring to get it down. I did the 20 for the swap last night (till 3am). I did a blue craw one earlier, but was trying to pull one of the eyes out a little, and messed it up, so I cut if off the head. The eyes aren't bad. Just took some cheap 20lb red mono I bought off ebay, hold it straight up, light it, let it burn down and bead, then blow out.

Re: The Crappie Craw - 01/04/14 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: plateboater
A killer jig.....how many minutes does it take to put this together.

Takes a little longer than a reg jig, but probably not, w/o eyes. I just used one brown feather (tip and 4 vs). then wrapped a layer of yarn (from Wal-mart to use as underlay so you don't have to wrap mult times and to elevate the eyes and whiskers. Put 2 orange hackle feathers, rotated so they flare out. Tied them on, one on each side. Then burnt the eyes out of 20lb red mono and tied on, added silicon whiskers and wrapped with orange craw chenille. The head is from the Do-It wobble jig mold: http://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Wobble-Jig-Mold-P3073.aspx with the barb filled in with silicon. Paint is CAs real craw orange.
Posted By: Radtexan

Re: The Crappie Craw - 01/04/14 11:32 PM

Thats a beaut ....Cant wait to get mine too !!!
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: The Crappie Craw - 01/05/14 03:14 PM

I went a different way with my Craw and used Rabbit, but also have made one using Pinenut Squirrel which really makes some nice ones too.

Here is one using regular rabbit zonker and crosscut rabbit. Not really hard, but really durable.

http://thumpitjigs.com/images/DSC02688.JPG
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum