Texas Fishing Forum

First ties

Posted By: Chuck Sheridan

First ties - 04/27/12 03:45 AM

These are my first ties let me know what yall think...

Posted By: RowdyRankin

Re: First ties - 04/27/12 04:11 AM

Great color combinations....the only think I would do different, and this is just my opinion, is shorten your tail lengths. That will help reduce short strikes. I'm not an expert so take that w/ a grain of salt:-) your in trouble now! Welcome to the addiction!

Posted By: Radtexan

Re: First ties - 04/27/12 04:15 AM

Welcome to the madness.......Rowdy is correct,,,,but the combo's are good.

Posted By: Bobcat1

Re: First ties - 04/27/12 10:08 AM

Nice ones!

Posted By: CrappieHappy

Re: First ties - 04/27/12 11:47 AM

nice work..

Posted By: Jig Man

Re: First ties - 04/27/12 12:09 PM

Looks good to me... welcome

Posted By: Chuck Sheridan

Re: First ties - 04/27/12 12:32 PM

Thanks guys... I tried a couple of them out yesterday and maybethe tails are a little too long got a couple of bumps but no fish on the hand ties... I did catch some on some SMS plastics. I might trim these guys up a little and hit the lake again today if the wind will lay down some. I know my trolling motor got a workout yesterday...

Posted By: Squeaky

Re: First ties - 04/27/12 12:40 PM

They look good, but I agree.... Need to shorten tails a bit... We all did it at the beginning...The color combos are great!
Keep it up, and post some more pics!!

Posted By: bull squat

Re: First ties - 04/27/12 02:11 PM

Not bad at all. You will get some very helpful advice from other tyers on this forum and answers to questions you may have. Keep the pictures coming and keep tying your own jigs, nothing like feeling the "Thump" on a jig made with your own hands.

Posted By: Bentley

Re: First ties - 04/27/12 05:08 PM

They all look good. Shorten the tail up like the other guys have said and they will look fine. I am not the best but I kept tying and tried different materials to get better.

Posted By: joser

Re: First ties - 04/28/12 10:10 PM

Gulp, thump, Gone, nice!

Posted By: joser

Re: First ties - 04/28/12 10:11 PM

I like long tails too, makes them extra Jiggily!!!

Posted By: Skip_48

Re: First ties - 04/29/12 07:34 PM

NOt bad at all for your first ones. I know my first were not all that great for sure. I still have a few from near when I started and they are something to look at and remember how it looked then, LOL!

Tail length for me is pretty subjective and not near as important as they would be for Bream as they short strike all the time, but crappie if you have the right color they want will eat it and you will be using some forceps to get them out of the back of their mouths. I do limit my tail length some and don't want the over all jig to be much more than 2 1/2" long, but some of my old marabou tails before I started cutting them down more were pretty long and didn't have any trouble with them and some were too long, but just didn't matter.

I do now prefer a jig including flash at just about 2 1/2" long for a normal 1/16 and I like my flash going passed my feathers some.

However you should make your jigs how ever you want to! This hobby is about enjoying it and making what you want how you want.

Enjoy your self!

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum