Texas Fishing Forum

No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer?

Posted By: Skip_48

No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/03/21 06:07 PM

I use to tie a lot of jigs with Guinea, but I just don't see that being used now. Here is a pic of some I did 10 years ago. I use to catch a lot of fish on the Guinea. Tried to find one of my wing jigs using Guinea, but have not yet.

Skip

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Craphacman

Re: No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/03/21 06:20 PM

Those look good Skip. Did you look in the bottom cabinet on the left? That's probably where they are. Ha!
Posted By: SK.

Re: No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/03/21 10:38 PM

I've never used them but those look awesome......
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/04/21 04:49 PM

Those look pretty neat...where do you purchase them?!

Re: No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/04/21 07:25 PM

I believe most places sell packs of them. I also have some Chart in bulk so maybe if someone wanted some I could help out. I am nt sure if I have any packs right now, have to look, but can get them if someone wants. Just would need to place an order, but I kind of need to anyway.

I will try to find my wing jig, I had a lot of fun with it. I cut a big V out of a Guinea feather and then tie the quill right on top of the shank of the hook. I also used some Softex to make it really durable and to hold it's shape. I put the Softex a long each side of the quill and out just a little to hooks all that in place. Then a marabou tail I think? My memory needs to find that pic, lol!

Skip
Posted By: Action_Jackson

Re: No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/04/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Skip_48
I believe most places sell packs of them. I also have some Chart in bulk so maybe if someone wanted some I could help out. I am nt sure if I have any packs right now, have to look, but can get them if someone wants. Just would need to place an order, but I kind of need to anyway.

I will try to find my wing jig, I had a lot of fun with it. I cut a big V out of a Guinea feather and then tie the quill right on top of the shank of the hook. I also used some Softex to make it really durable and to hold it's shape. I put the Softex a long each side of the quill and out just a little to hooks all that in place. Then a marabou tail I think? My memory needs to find that pic, lol!

Skip

pm sent
Posted By: gar1970

Re: No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/04/21 09:07 PM

Excellent ties as always skip clap
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/05/21 04:03 PM

Very nice Skip! clap
Posted By: serj5150

Re: No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/08/21 11:54 AM

Those are really nice Skip I have these feathers I just said never use them but your pictures are definitely changing my mind thumb

Re: No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/08/21 12:50 PM

Thank you guys! By all means if you have some use them. They can be used in a lot of ways, tails, collars, cheeks. I just love the colors and all the dots of different sizes.

Skip
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: No One Use Guinea Feathers Any Longer? - 05/17/21 11:49 PM

I use them as bug wings or bluegill gill flaps on some of the flies I tie. I usually use real fur on jigs like this.

[Linked Image]

Made from real skunk fur.

But Here is a crawfish fly I tied where I used Guinea feathers for the claws.

[Linked Image].

I love em
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum