Texas Fishing Forum

Tying on a jig

Posted By: big_whiskers

Tying on a jig - 03/26/20 09:37 PM

What is best knot yo tie on jig to keep it level?
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Tying on a jig - 03/26/20 09:58 PM

Loop knot...

Posted By: tech

Re: Tying on a jig - 04/02/20 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jig Man
Loop knot...

Thanks jIgman, sure wish I had a jig to try...
Posted By: Pot licker

Re: Tying on a jig - 04/03/20 06:29 PM

The only knot i use is a palomar knot. Does it matter?
Posted By: Ken Gaby

Re: Tying on a jig - 04/03/20 08:30 PM

To keep the jig level I use the palomar knot and move the knot to the back of the eye; towards the hook point.
Many people use the loop knot but I've never seen it keep the jig level. The jig in the demo above has no tail material and a spinner on the head which makes the forward part of the head heavier. A plain jig head with tail or a plastic body won't hang level unless it's the bullet type head.
Posted By: ThaDudeAbides

Re: Tying on a jig - 04/04/20 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
To keep the jig level I use the palomar knot and move the knot to the back of the eye; towards the hook point.
Many people use the loop knot but I've never seen it keep the jig level. The jig in the demo above has no tail material and a spinner on the head which makes the forward part of the head heavier. A plain jig head with tail or a plastic body won't hang level unless it's the bullet type head.

I tend to agree that the loop knot is not designed to keep it level. I think the loop knot is superior to the palomar knot in allowing the jig to move around within the knot giving it better action. So does better movement catch more fish than a simple level jig? More research is needed! roflmao
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Tying on a jig - 04/04/20 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pot licker
The only knot i use is a palomar knot.

+1
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Tying on a jig - 05/06/20 08:07 PM

Palomar knot is a great knot, I use it a lot. It is strong and quick to tye. But I call fowl if you don't think a jig runs level with a loop knot. Got a swimming pool in the back yard that proves it. Doesn't mater if it has a spinner or not. And a loop knot, you don't have to adjust after every strike or couple of casts...
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Tying on a jig - 05/09/20 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by tech
Loop knot...

Thanks jIgman, sure wish I had a jig to try...

Yes Sir! thumb
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Tying on a jig - 05/09/20 03:09 AM

Palomar knot is a great knot, I use it a lot. It is strong and quick to tye. But I call fowl if you don't think a jig runs level with a loop knot. Got a swimming pool in the back yard that proves it. Doesn't mater if it has a spinner or not. And a loop knot, you don't have to adjust after every strike or couple of casts...

I use to only use a Palomar knot but I recently changed to the loop knot for the same reason you have stated.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum