Texas Fishing Forum

1/24oz head question

Posted By: Abbott (MCM Tackle)

1/24oz head question - 04/18/18 12:06 PM

Does many people use this size of head? I was looking at getting this mold, but if there is not a huge demand for it I don't need it. I have a 1/32oz and a 1/16oz mold. Just curious to see what everyone has to say.

Also what about a 1/100oz head?

Re: 1/24oz head question - 04/18/18 12:08 PM

I would be hand tying on them all also
Posted By: SK.

Re: 1/24oz head question - 04/18/18 02:42 PM

What kinda hook are you using?
Posted By: Skip_48

Re: 1/24oz head question - 04/18/18 03:04 PM

Answered at the other board.

Skip

Re: 1/24oz head question - 04/19/18 12:48 PM

Thanks for all the info. I am still deciding what I want to do.
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: 1/24oz head question - 04/20/18 01:44 AM

I use them all the time. In fact I just got another shipment of them to tie some more crappie jigs. I get mines with a size 4 sickle hook.

Re: 1/24oz head question - 04/27/18 12:15 PM

I think I have made my decision. Going to do 1/64, 1/32, 1/16 and 1/8 hand tied jigs. I may expand out more down the road but for right now going to stick to these sizes.

I got a couple pretty good size orders to start on next week and once I get them done I will be able to pour heads and get stocked up for the winter bite.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Re: 1/24oz head question - 04/27/18 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Abbott
I think I have made my decision. Going to do 1/64, 1/32, 1/16 and 1/8 hand tied jigs. I may expand out more down the road but for right now going to stick to these sizes.

I got a couple pretty good size orders to start on next week and once I get them done I will be able to pour heads and get stocked up for the winter bite.

The most popular sizes are there and 1/16, 1/32 & 1/8 (probably in that order) are the most popular sizes! 1/48 maybe next and personally in summer on a kind of windy day I use 1/4 oz head.

Skip

Re: 1/24oz head question - 05/02/18 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Skip_48

The most popular sizes are there and 1/16, 1/32 & 1/8 (probably in that order) are the most popular sizes! 1/48 maybe next and personally in summer on a kind of windy day I use 1/4 oz head.

Skip

That is what I have noticed skip. A lot of people want a 1/16. So I got to make sure I have enough of them in stock so when I do get an order all I have to do is paint the heads the colors they want. Right now when I get an order I have to pour and then do the rest. I haven't had time to get stock built up yet.

Re: 1/24oz head question - 05/02/18 03:41 PM

I think I have made my decision. Going to do 1/64, 1/32, 1/16 and 1/8 hand tied jigs. I may expand out more down the road but for right now going to stick to these sizes. I got a couple pretty good size orders to start on next week and once I get them done I will be able to pour heads and get stocked up for the winter bite.

Skip

That is what I have noticed skip. A lot of people want a 1/16. So I got to make sure I have enough of them in stock so when I do get an order all I have to do is paint the heads the colors they want. Right now when I get an order I have to pour and then do the rest. I haven't had time to get stock built up yet.

You really do need to have some poured ahead of tying time. Once you get a program going maybe you take a day every other week otr once a month to pour? Just have to be ready especially if it takes off well. These things can get too busy fast!
Posted By: TurboDan

Re: 1/24oz head question - 05/05/18 04:32 PM

I think I have made my decision. Going to do 1/64, 1/32, 1/16 and 1/8 hand tied jigs. I may expand out more down the road but for right now going to stick to these sizes. I got a couple pretty good size orders to start on next week and once I get them done I will be able to pour heads and get stocked up for the winter bite.

Skip

You really do need to have some poured ahead of tying time. Once you get a program going maybe you take a day every other week otr once a month to pour? Just have to be ready especially if it takes off well. These things can get too busy fast!

I pour first Mon/Tues of each month. Usually 600 to 1000 at at time. I pour and brake off on Monday, then spend Tuesday cleaning up heads. Pour much more 1/16 than anything else. With that said, have had more 1/8 than anything over the last month. Actually ran out of 1/8 for the first time ever.

Re: 1/24oz head question - 05/06/18 02:24 AM

I have had a lot of 1/8 request too in the last 2 months.

Re: 1/24oz head question - 05/06/18 02:12 PM

To tell the truth there are a lot of guys using 1/8 oz jigs and I know some that have been using that size for many years now. Use to be 1/32 was always #2, but maybe the last 5 or 6 years 1/8 may have taken that spot. For me though when talking underpins like Roadrunner, nothing neats the 1/32 on that type head and I don't think anyone at any time could convince me otherwise. Standard style jig heads though and when its not spring spawning time, 1/8 should out sell 1/32, but know this lots of guys will fish 1/32 all the time and even deeper water. I know one guy that uses a 1/32 oz jig in deep water with a larger weight above the jig and does very well doing that!

Skip

Re: 1/24oz head question - 05/08/18 02:57 AM

been thinking about getting the 1/24oz underspin mold but not sure yet

Re: 1/24oz head question - 05/08/18 02:58 AM

K next question is what about a 3/32 head? Which is between and 1/16 and a 1/8
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum