Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait?

Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/11/17 04:36 PM

A package of hot dogs, cut into 1-inch sections and 3 packets of cherry Kool-Aid.

or

A can of SPAM, cut into 1-inch sections and dry Jello.

then,

they say to include anise flavoring or any other seasoning.

Use a 1/0 or 2/0 circle hook. Hook it so that it leaves plenty of hook point exposed.
Posted By: BMART

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/11/17 05:04 PM

A co-worker has used the hot dogs and cherry cool aid mix at Whitney. It worked really well for him
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/11/17 05:23 PM

Anything with bacon grease or beef fat in it will catch channels and blues. I use bacon grease in my homemade cheese dough bait. The grease gives off a slick and waterproofs the dough so it don't melt off the hook too fast. You actually do want some melt as that is the smell in the grease slick that brings them in.
Posted By: Monkeypuncher

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/11/17 07:22 PM

Ok for channel cats.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/12/17 04:03 AM

buy the cheapest bar-s weinies at wallmart.
Posted By: G Love

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/12/17 02:01 PM

Used to run trotlines with hot dog weenies when I was a young'n in my ole 14 footer. Loaded up Channels and an occasional -20lb Flathead we would get super pumped about lol. Good times.
Posted By: Flags

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/12/17 03:06 PM

I've used plain old chunks of hot dogs for catfish and they worked. Never tried it with the kool aid, just plain.
Posted By: Fish Comedian

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/12/17 06:43 PM

Why waste perfectly good Spam??? Have done hotdogs they seem to catch small ones. (Kept kids entertained.) I would end up eating them, minus the Kool-Aid, especially if I had crackers.
I have never tried Spam. see first statement.
Either way Good Luck!!!

Lou
Posted By: Captain Yakker

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/14/17 01:54 PM

I made some up with the kook-aid and garlic powder added to them. Best to let the bag sit outside in the sun a few days to toughen them up so they stay on the hook better.

Those cheap Bar-S hot dogs as mentioned above make it fairly economical. Probably cheaper than range cubes as chum.
Posted By: Briansz

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/19/17 01:51 AM

I've also done OK with eaters (Blues and Channels) on Twok with the garlic/koolaid marinated hot dogs. They stay on the hook a little better if you use a decent sized treble and rig up a bait needle (mine was fashioned from a wire coat hanger with a slot filed in the end) to pull the mono leader back through the hot dog. Still easier to keep on with spinning gear as opposed to launching with the ABU baitcasters.

I'd thought of adding some kind of fiber or rubber washer dropped over the hook shank to offer the hot dog further support and keep it from tearing, but never tried it - ended up just going with discounted chicken breast marinated in the same brew. The raw chicken is tough enough to use with circle hooks for a cast or two unless you're trying for a distance record. It catches as many or more cats than the hot dogs for me.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/25/17 12:38 AM

Yea they work I would cut them then micro wave the wennies
a little seems to make them a little tougher
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 10/30/17 06:28 PM

all we need now is the " mini-grill" and some buns....bring your own ketchup and mustard!! I couldnt get around snacking on a "few".. jack
Posted By: Dan_n_Texas

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 03/30/18 09:33 PM

Tried the hot dog, jello, and garlic recipe. No bites at two different locations.
Recipe sounded good but, for me, it didn't work.
Posted By: Outfitter Nomore

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 03/30/18 09:38 PM

Hot dogs work but my go to this time of year is Stubbys, Big Marvs or J PIGGS. Other punchbaits work but those 3 work the best for me.
Posted By: K.G

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 03/30/18 09:54 PM

Haulin.thumb
Posted By: Greenarrow118

Re: Anyone Ever Tried This As Catfish Bait? - 03/31/18 05:14 PM

Do you just mix the hot dogs and cherry kool aid together?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum