Texas Fishing Forum

Planer boards for big blues

Posted By: Txmedic033

Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 03:52 PM

For those of y'all that our already using planer boards for the big catfish, what brands are you using? I want something that won't get pulled under by a 2 ounce weight. I have already wasted my money on a couple different brands that wouldn't hold the weight.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 05:08 PM

El Gato Azul has got the planner boarding down.
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 05:23 PM

I think his came from Bottom Dweller Tackle.
Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 05:54 PM

A friend made these and they work good.
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 06:08 PM

I'm running the yellow boards from Extreme fishing concepts. They seem to do well.
Posted By: clk

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 06:38 PM

Extreme concept boards work for me also.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 07:21 PM

I been running Zakks big cat boards for a couple of years but those extremes are identical for a fraction of the price. I run em when drifting or when control drifting and they flat out work. My 2 biggest fish this year have come off my boards.

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 08:17 PM

Thank you for all the fast replies. Looks like extreme concepts will be getting my money.
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 08:34 PM

Have fun with them!
Posted By: G Love

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 09:52 PM

I want to try it this fall/winter also. So do you just pull out enough from the board for it to drag the bottom? Then just let out enough line from the reel until you have it at your desired distance? Just running regular Santee drifting rigs?
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/03/17 11:57 PM

I fish em with a Santee rig bumpin the bottom..I cast mine out 20-50 ft depending on how deep Im running. Cast em out to the side of the boat away from my long lines and clip em on. Leave the spool open and let out line. The more line you let out, the farther out your rig will plane. Engage the spool and your rig will plane out to the side of boat. I like to drag the channel in the winter and use the planers to put my bait up on the edges. I also like to drag deep humps and use my boards to get my bait on the side of ledges. If there is no wind you can run everything out the back and bump with your trolling motor. I will zig zag a channel in zero wind and youd be surprised with what happens. Occasionally you will see blues suspend in deeper water and I ran my boards suspended a couple of times this summer and hammered em. The possibilities are endless. They allow you to cover way more water. Oh, and Big fish love planer boards. texas
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/04/17 12:44 AM

I've justarted experimenting with planer boards and I bought one of the extreme boards to try out and so far I've been happy with it. I reached out to a guide who I know that have fished with planers to get his opinion and his recommendation was the castaway planer boards. I'm gonna give those a try pretty soon. The Zack Royce boards have a pretty good reputation of a great board but they are much pricier than others and one TFF member that I talk to regularly just told me that his was on back order for awhile and his order is just now being filled. El Gato uses them and from our conversations he likes them very well.

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/04/17 12:47 AM

Set mine up the same way as El Gato. If your reel has a stout clicker it works great to let out line and pull them way out to the side. There will be times when you want to chunk them in the trash because you will hang up more with them but on some days they are the difference maker.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/04/17 12:55 AM

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/06/17 08:47 PM

Nothing but great things to say about extreme fishing concepts. I placed my order late Tuesday night and received it today. Pretty fast for an out of state company. I also go a phone call immediately because I ordered a left hand thread rod holder and a right hand thread base that he thought might've been a mistake. I haven't used the planer boards yet, but they will hold a lot more weight than the ones I currently have. I would highly recommend anyone interested in trying planer boards to give them a chance. Oh yeah, they are also the cheapest heavy duty boards I have found by a long shot.

This was completely unsolicited. I was just very impressed with the customer service and fast shipping.

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/06/17 11:09 PM

I had the same results with them. I have pulled buffalo heads as big as the boards with no problems.

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/16/17 02:15 PM

Just an update since I finally had a chance to test the Extreme Fishing Concepts Extreme planer boards. These things are impressive! I tried them with up to a 3 oz weight and they worked just as advertised. The 3 oz made them sit a little lower in the water, but they were fully on top of the water with 2 oz and below. I also pulled a couple large carp heads and they did not seem to affect the board at all. They planed out pretty good at lower speeds, but really shined when I started pulling them 1 mph and above. Biggest fish I managed was only 21 lbs, but the board disengaged as soon as the fish bit like it was designed to do and did not affect fighting the fish at all. These will allow me to do a controlled drift with my trolling motor and cover more water than I could drifting sideways without any planer boards. I ordered two more last night so that I will have 3 on each side and I already got the shipping notification this morning. I would highly recommend these boards to anyone in the market for some new planer boards.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Planer boards for big blues - 10/17/17 07:14 AM

Anyone use those big planer boards that attach to a mast and all?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum