Texas Fishing Forum

Where are the fish at this time of yr?

Posted By: 79scooter

Where are the fish at this time of yr? - 08/31/17 10:21 PM

If I were to go fish a lake for blues, what would I look for? Flats? Humps? Shallow or deep? My guess would be to drift flats that have bait running around on... that's where I would look for sandbass. I assume if there is bait, there should be fish? Thank you for your advice.

Re: Where are the fish at this time of yr? - 09/02/17 11:32 PM

I know why most of the older members have left the forum...lol.
Posted By: 30ft jon boat

Re: Where are the fish at this time of yr? - 09/03/17 12:27 AM

i completely understand scooter sometimes if your not part of the in crowd info is hard to get.i'm building a house now so i don't fish much but the last 10 yrs this time of yr i would fish very shallow in brush or timber from 5am to 10am then move to sandbass humps/ boat shows in the heat,then back shallow after 10pm.if you can find whitebass and hybrids surfacing with birds working catfish are always around
Posted By: Dothead

Re: Where are the fish at this time of yr? - 09/03/17 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: 79scooter
If I were to go fish a lake for blues, what would I look for? Flats? Humps? Shallow or deep? My guess would be to drift flats that have bait running around on... that's where I would look for sandbass. I assume if there is bait, there should be fish? Thank you for your advice.

Yes, look for the shad. I've had the best luck lately using fresh shad fillets drifting 10-20'. I've also been fishing early morning and only up until noon or so.

Re: Where are the fish at this time of yr? - 09/03/17 10:24 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the knowledge
Posted By: scruboak

Re: Where are the fish at this time of yr? - 09/04/17 09:44 AM

Probably has more to do with holiday weekend than anything else.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Where are the fish at this time of yr? - 09/04/17 03:23 PM

Fish are really scattered this time of the year.

Typically lakes either turn over or mix in early to mid October but with all temps well below average for this time of the year, I expect a mixing effect vs. a turnover effect unless we get a early season major cold front.

With that being said, I would drift vs. anchor in September and I would down size my baits and focus on mid depth flats in the 18-30ft range. Keep baits fresh and cover lots of water until you find the zone.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Where are the fish at this time of yr? - 09/04/17 04:58 PM

My normal response to that question is welcome roflmao I normally don't start catfishing hard until October so I won't be much help. You are pretty established on the forum so I don't understand why you didn't at least get a PM.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Where are the fish at this time of yr? - 09/04/17 05:51 PM

Usually not anywhere I'm fishing at the time.....
Posted By: fishslime

Re: Where are the fish at this time of yr? - 09/05/17 02:03 AM

I fished for them pretty hard on Fork last weekend. Couldn't catch anything but dinks in Williams Creek area and finally moved down toward the dam across from Dale Creek and caught some fairly good ones - app. 45 keepers over three trips fishing 5-6 hrs. total. Depth of water was basically the same (22-28 ft.) but seemed to help to get further down the lake toward the deeper areas. They do seem be scattered this time of the year with big and little one mixed up. I usually start catching some good catfish when the weather gets cold and stays cold in 30 ft. water.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum